DIY: Cheap book display!

February 8, 2011

DIY: Cheap book display!

February 8, 2011
I’m really excited about this one! I’ve been trying to find something for this unused space under my board in our library area. I wanted to get one of those book pocket chart things…but they wouldn’t be able to fit, plus I hate spending too much money. And those gorgeous plastic rain gutters some teachers have–I love those!

But I don’t have a way to rig them up on this kind of wall.

So this weekend, I bought 10 of those clear pocket folders for binders (the sturdy plastic ones). They were in 5 in a pack for about $5.00, I think.

This afternoon, I hot-glued them on the brick wall. I used a dot of glue in each corner and one in the middle. I think it should hold well…I’ll let you know if not! I’ll use Velcro next time if they fall down.

It only took about 8 minutes to do!

It’s pretty cool, because I can fit them in those odd places I have in my room (we DO NOT have a lot of wall space and those pipes covering the electricity run throughout the entire room).

And I love that I can display some books that might not get noticed in our book baskets often.

I stuck one on my back whiteboard too! I thought I could store our latest read aloud there (this horse book is not our read aloud, just a book I stuck in for you to see).

I’m going to get some more to hang under my front whiteboard, to feature books that tie in with our current Science and Social Studies units.

Here’s one more closeup. The pockets can fit pretty large picture books, as well as chapter books.

I’m going to see how much these are utilized by my students…I’m thinking they’d be ideal to feature peer recommendations.

I’ll be making some signs to display above them soon (stay tuned for those!). I think something like…”if you liked this book, check out basket ___.”

We’ll see how it goes!

Thanks for reading and thank you for your lovely comments. Posting is one of my favorite parts of the day (besides blog stalking!). Have a wonderful evening! 🙂

• Katie King February 8, 2011 at 11:05 pm

These are perfect! I want the rain gutters really badly too…can't wait to make these!

• Ms.M February 8, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Oh this is FANTASTIC. I have been looking for a way to do this. I even thought of page protectors, but my books were too thick or heavy. Thank you SOOOOO much!

• Ms. Durning February 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

Very cute!! Do you think the students can handle it without destroying?

• Ladybug Teacher February 9, 2011 at 12:23 am

Thanks ladies!
    Ms. Durning–I think so, I have an awesome class that really takes care of the room this year, so I think they should be good with them (they're a very mature group). If not, I'll switch to Velcro. 🙂

• A. February 9, 2011 at 1:31 am

What a neat idea! What about using them in the hallway to display student work?

• Rachelle February 9, 2011 at 4:20 am

YOU AND YOUR IDEAS ARE AMAZEEEEEE(ING)! 🙂
    -Rachelle

• Colleen February 9, 2011 at 6:16 am

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Ginger Snaps February 12, 2011 at 1:03 am

I love this idea! And it's affordable.

• sailingintofirstgrade February 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I love this idea too! THANKS for sharing it!

• froggycupcakes February 13, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I love this idea! I will be using it!

• Kristin Young March 9, 2011 at 10:39 pm

THAT IS GENIUS!! I have a matching "clothespin" game I created under my board but my little dears have decided it's more fun to snap the clothespins off than actually use it so I was looking for something else to put there! I hate putting books in my marker tray because it feels cluttered to me…this is great for both problems!! 🙂 Thanks so much!

• Chrissy July 10, 2011 at 2:04 am

Thank you! I found the pic on Pinterest and followed the link. Although I've been a follower for months, I missed these posts. My classroom wall situation is a serious challenge (I've been having anxiety dreams for the last week.) and I am thrilled to see a new option. LOVE your site!

ReadWriteSing

• Mrs. Lamb July 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm

love both these posts about using page protectors! great ideas. Also cannot WAIT to cover my desk in contact paper. I was just complaining to my hubby how ugly it was but I needed it still!
    Rachel

• Kristen July 12, 2011 at 3:46 am

Thanks Rachel!! I would love to see your desks when they are finished! 🙂

• Mrs. Ward July 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I love this idea and everything on your blog. I am slowly creating a blog based on your tutorials, so thanks! Question: Did the hot glue "stick" for the year or did you have to switch to velcro?

• Kristen July 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Mrs. Ward! The hot glue did work well, only one fell down 🙂

• Anonymous June 13, 2012 at 12:54 am

I saw in an art magazine a great idea where they used clear sheet protectors and attached them together with small binder rings. They hung it along a wall to quickly change old art work with new art work. I was thinking that this could also work for books or anything even writing to help simplify and help add more wall space in our classrooms.

• Anonymous September 10, 2012 at 1:16 am

Wow thanks for the idea… It gives me a great idea to hold writing paper for the writing table in my classroom.. Not only hold some books but to display my lesson plan for easy access during the day