Classroom Library: Leveled Labels

January 18, 2011

Classroom Library: Leveled Labels

January 18, 2011
Like many teachers, my favorite part of our room is the classroom library. We spend a great deal of time in this location and it really is the heart of our classroom.

I realize now that organizing our library is a never-ending process…I’m always labeling and adding new books.

But I just love it! And all of the hard work has totally paid off. The kids manage the library very nicely.

I’d like to share some things that have worked well in our library. These are not my original ideas…I learned so much from the fantastic teachers over at Proteacher.

So in efforts to not go on and on, I’m going to break these posts into parts. Today, I’m going to start with labeling the leveled part of my library (I also have a genre section). Our school just got a slew of leveled books for our classroom libraries (this has never happened in all my teaching years so I labeled those babies right away!).

My students are in 4th and 5th grade but, being English Language Learners, read from a pre-Kindergarten level all the way up to a 4th grade level. So my leveled library spans from level A to P. Other, higher level books are available in the genre section of the library.

Labeling by levels is actually way easier and faster than by genres. I use the Scholastic Book Wizard website, which is absolutely amazing.

The labels for our leveled books have the letter on the front and my name on the back. My genre labels are a bit more complex…more about those in the future.
I formatted the label so that the letter and name would fit on nicely, leaving the empty white space on the label for the binding of the book.

I like the 1.33″ x 4″ labels…they’re wide enough for thicker chapter books or large hardcover books.

And…the most important part…

Packing tape! I put a strip of this over each label and they will last forever! I do let my kids take books home for reading homework and taping the labels like this has really made them more permanent for heavy use.

Plus, you can even wipe down the books at the end of the year without damaging the labels (do I sound like a cleaning freak saying that??).

If you are interested, I am attaching the leveled labels below (for letters A-P). The files are large, so there are many links.

Levels A B | Levels C D | Levels E F | Levels G H

Levels I J | Levels K L | Levels M N | Levels O P

Stay tuned for more on our classroom library…

How do you like to organize your classroom library? I would love to hear your ideas!

• Jodie January 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm

You are awesome! These are great!

• Katie King January 18, 2011 at 9:29 pm

WOW!!! Thank you so much! I have some labeled by genre and some levels, but I have already decided improving my library is going to be a big summer project. I shared the link with several teachers!

• Mrs. Saoud January 18, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Lovin these! Thanks!

• Ladybug Teacher January 18, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Glad you all can use them 🙂
    Katie, I'm going to try to post the matching bin labels tomorrow evening. Hopefully…we just had another snow day and tomorrow is the start of our week…it'll take me all week to get back to normal!

• Katie January 23, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Awesome system! I also use labels to organize my library, but I have them sorted by topic, rather than level. I'm planning on leveling all the books this summer and including a color code for different levels. We'll see how that works out…

🙂
    Katie

• Lorena January 30, 2011 at 4:37 am

Thank you for sharing your library and how you keep it organized. I might finally have a plan I can put into use with your wonderful posts. I will be recruiting a parent volunteer or two.

• Jen February 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I absolutely love these! Is it possible for you to post levels q,r, s,t? Thanks so much!

• Ladybug Teacher February 22, 2011 at 3:21 am

Hey Jen, I posted them in today's post!

• Anonymous June 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

These are amazing! THANK YOU so much!!! I was wondering if you had labels for Q and R?

-Kristin

• Anonymous July 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm

WE label at our school like 0.1, 0.2 and so forth. I guess you all do not do this? I do not understand the letters. Please help!!!

• Sandy Pence July 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Thank you so much for these! I've only been teaching for a year and having these will help me put together an organized library that much quicker!!

• Mrs. Walker August 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Thank you so much for the Scholastic Book Wizard! I am a new teacher and have inherited books from my mother-in-law and the teacher that was in my classroom before me left quite a few books in the classroom. What a great way to level all of those books!

Christy

• Mrs. Meyer's First Grade April 25, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Thank you so much, I have been trying to figure out how to label the actual books. These are fantastic. Guess I know what I will be doing.

• Crystal Samsel August 14, 2012 at 1:38 am

I love the book labels!!!!!!

Do you have labeles for Q-Z? I have a large range of readers and would like to label all my books.