Supply Organization

December 25, 2010

Supply Organization

December 25, 2010
Our class shares community supplies. I keep these supplies in small baskets from the Dollar Tree (I bought these baskets a few years back). The baskets are stored in an easy-to-access location, by the front entrance to the classroom.
There are four baskets for each type of supply. I put plastic cups inside the baskets to keep the markers, colored pencils, crayons, and scissors standing up. The students keep these pretty organized and I find I only have to replace the colored pencils and crayons a couple of times over the year. I don’t mind this at all.

Please click here to download and customize the blue labels shown on the file drawers above.

It is the markers that I am a maniac about. They are the item I detest replacing the most (way too costly when those back-to-school sales are over!). About two years ago, I found a system that worked perfectly and kept me from having to replace a single marker for the WHOLE YEAR!

It’s actually really simple…all we do is keep two of each color in one of the baskets. The students know the supplies aren’t cleaned up until there are two of each color in the basket. It makes all the difference in keeping track of the markers and it’s been great.

• Rachel @ A Tall Drink of Water March 17, 2011 at 3:06 am

What a wonderful way to organize community supplies!! Do you have the labels to share or purchase?

• Ladybug Teacher March 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

Hi Rachel, thanks! I sent you an email 🙂

• Ms. P March 30, 2011 at 12:43 am

I am just finding your blog and love it! Do you have these great label available?

Mary

• Amanda April 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I just discovered your blog and I LOVE it! I would love to see an up-close picture of your scissors basket…

• Anonymous April 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I LOVE your blog! Do you have the labels to share? My e-mail is ruskieroo@centurylink.net

Thank so much!

• Mrs. Ibarra June 5, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I love how organized you are! I can't wait to have my own classroom and be able to have so many containers to help me organize. I currently share classrooms with two teachers. I am at a year round school so I have to clean up my room every 2 months =(.

• Kristen June 5, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Thanks Mrs. Ibarra! Wow, that must be really hard to share a room! I can't believe you have to move so often…do you get a break in the summer still?

• Bernice July 1, 2011 at 2:10 am

Love it!
    I would like to have thoese lables of your items. Cryons, pencils… In Words because I have to translated them in French.
    Your the best!
    Thanks

• Kristen July 1, 2011 at 2:12 am

Sorry Bernice, I have to keep those in PDF according to the graphic's license! Thanks for reading 🙂

• Mrs. Peppers July 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm

The link no longer works or it didn't for me…it says that blog is no longer available! Thanks

• Kristen July 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hi Mrs. Peppers, that blog isn't available anymore, sorry!

• Marnie August 18, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hello! I am so excited about discovering your blog. One of my goals is to be better organized this year. We adopted Everyday Math as well. I love your system of organizing the games. Are these labels available for use? if so, will you email me? marniegire@live.com

Thank you so much!

• Jenna April 23, 2012 at 3:26 am

I would love the labels for the markers, ext.! jenmmyer@gmail.com

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I would love the supply labels as well. Thanks! Love your blog!
    robertson.terry@wintonwoods.org

• PaigeFetters June 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Love it! Can you please email these to me??? mspaigejo@yahoo.com

• AnnaMartine July 3, 2012 at 8:59 am

HI, These supply labels are awesome, and big enough for little eyes to see! Do you still have them available through pdf file? email annamartine@yahoo.com
    Thanks for all the great ideas, glad to hear I'm not the only one trying daily 5 and struggling with the timing!

• Erika Lee July 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm

What size labels are the blue labels? I use Avery labels, and would love to use something like this too!

• Kristin July 24, 2012 at 4:16 am

Love these!!! I'm a new teacher and I would love these if it's still possible. My email is kristinspeaks at gmail dot com. Thank you.

• Lisa July 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I love these labels! Especially the markers & crayons…very cute idea. My email is bourgault4@live.com, if they are still available. Thanks so much!

• Jennifer August 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Would you happen to have editable name plates or desk plates that match the theme for this year? I have been looking everywhere and just decided to ask 🙂

• Kim June 2, 2013 at 3:29 am

Is it possible to get the blue labels made into bright pink or green or both?

• Dani June 7, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I would love the labels like the marker labels. dsallen215@gmail.com

Thanks!!

• Giant dry erase number lines = instant engagement!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We’ve been working on using place value understanding to round to any place this week. I knew I wanted a dry erase number line so my students could alter the set up to round different numbers to the same place (such as rounding 82 and 182 and 1,182 to the nearest ten).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I used electrical tape to create seven huge number lines on the floor throughout the room. Then I added dry erase strips to the top of the segments on the number lines. I did not add arrows to save on tape (we have had several discussions this year about the significance of arrows on number lines, so they are always included otherwise).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We worked in groups of three to round various numbers. It was awesome! It was a kinesthetic activity that kept my active learners interested.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We started with the benchmark numbers first, then labeled the midpoints. Then my students placed the number given and rounded it on a whiteboard to share their responses.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they were comfortable with setting up the number lines, we rounded larger numbers to the same place value. Many groups quickly realized they only needed to add extra digits to each part of their number lines to reflect the larger number...they were otherwise rounding to the same place! It worked out as a nice exploratory activity, rather than me just showing them the rules for rounding to any place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only bad part? The number lines will have to go soon, as they are stepped on throughout the day 😭 I wish we could keep them all year!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #roundingnumbers #iteachmath #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you used the checkboxes in google sheets before? They are an absolute godsend!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year I’ve been using them to keep track of our daily read alouds. I’m embarrassed to admit this...but I forget which books we’ve read already! #teachinginyour40s 🙄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And adding them is super easy. Just go to the cell you want your checkbox to appear in. Click Insert, then choose Checkbox.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can change the size and color just like you would with any text. And you can click to check and uncheck. You can also hit your spacebar to check the boxes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope this is of help if you haven’t tried this feature yet! The link to this reading tracker is in my profile if you’d like to see more...all the letters are linked up for you and there are some automatic counters to track everything you read: bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #classroommanagement #classroomorganization
    • Anyone else feel the same?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A very dear friend here in the states told me her likes were now hidden...and I was absolutely thrilled at the prospect!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As much as I hate to admit it, I feel I have lost my taste for posting over the years. I worry too much about how my next post will be received. I think too much about what is best to share to get the most likes I can. I don’t do this in any other aspect of my life...so why do I worry here?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I just want to post without thinking about these things. And I can't wait until my experience on IG is changed. Anyone else?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Prepping for field trips with digital slides!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Ok. It took me 18 years to figure this one out.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After YEARS of talking through upcoming field trips and trying to explain what to expect, it suddenly occurred to me...why not SHOW my kids all of the information in google slides?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean we all know pictures are worth a thousand words. And I can prep the slides ahead of time, so I don’t forget to include any important information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I keep it simple. A slide for the chaperones and groups. A second slide with an overview of the trip. And one more featuring the schedule, how to prepare, and any important notes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I already used my first set last week and it was such a big help...and a huge timesaver!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you prep your students for field trips? I hope this idea is if some help if you are looking to try something visual!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#fieldtrip #classroomorganization #classroommanagement #googleslides #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth
    • Sooo simple, but what a game-changer!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I first learned about these magnetic numbers for the date from @twoteachersinfifth, they always have the best ideas!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And now I NEVER forget to post the date!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Actually, my students don’t forget...since this is one of our class jobs 😉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The numbers are by Teacher Created Resources and can be found on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I store ours in an Iris photo case...and I’m sharing the label on here in case anyone can use it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please click the link in my profile to grab a copy of the label! bit.ly/WhiteboardNumbers⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to post your date each day?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Looking for some new google fonts for your drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This summer, I compiled a huge list of favorite teacher fonts for google, thanks to so many of you who shared your favorites! 💜⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can grab this resource from the link in my profile. Then, just copy and paste your new faves to add to docs and slides in your own drive!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are there any we missed? What’s your favorite google font?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456