Tracking Students’ Pencil Management

July 5, 2013

Tracking Students’ Pencil Management

July 5, 2013

I wanted to share some updates to The Great Pencil Challenge (the green link will take you to the original post on this free management system). I love the challenge and it has helped us keep track of our pencils with great success…but we started late in the year and now I’d like to prepare for a new school year, with all the necessary items ready to go.

So I’ve updated The Great Pencil Challenge posters with a bit of a different look, along with some other goodies. This free file features the following signs:

I display our signs on the whiteboard so we can calculate the statistics by representing the fraction, decimal, and percent…for the rare occasions when we don’t have a 100% rate (!):

In addition to the display signs, this resource also features a record sheet (actually, two! One with numbers, one without). My
students know that I always say “everything you do in class counts
towards a grade”…but this can be hard to show with our pencil
challenge. For me, I do want record of it because I do like to keep track of their responsibility.
ETA: I no longer use this tracking sheet. I now keep track of my students’ pencil management in my checklist book, under the management tab. You can read more about this here:

I use a Pencil Check sheet from my Instant Checklists resource, which saves me precious time in writing my students’ names (I just have to type them one time and all checklists are ready to print):

Would you like to try The Great Pencil Challenge in your class? Please click on the image below to access the free resources:

I hope this challenge will be as helpful in your class as it has been in ours! Thank you for reading!
Do you keep checklists? This resource will have you keeping track of everything, in an instant:

• Sydney Cohn July 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm

You rock my socks off! I'm setting up my classroom on Wednesday!

• Lauren Copeland July 5, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for sharing 🙂 I plan to use this!

Lauren
    The Sweetest Thing
    Follow me on Bloglovin'!

• Ms. Morgart July 5, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I can't wait to use this with my fourth graders this year! I think it is a great way to encourage responsibility and help maintain our classroom supplies! Thank you!!

• Samantha July 5, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Love, love, LOVE this idea!

Thanks for sharing!

• Brandi July 5, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Love this! Thanks for setting up a whole system!

Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

• Elizabeth S. July 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thank you for sharing these files!! I'm so excited to use this system next year so that I can hopefully keep my stash of pencils from running out like it did last year 🙂
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Marlene July 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Thanks for sharing these! I finally purchased the pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly last year and it was amazing how it cut down on kids needing to sharpen their pencils. Will be adding the Great Pencil Challenge to that this year.

Marlene
    I Heart Teaching Elementary

• Melissa O'Bryan July 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Pencils drive me crazy too! Love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa
    Wild About Fifth Grade

• Amanda July 5, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Thanks so much for sharing..I used this at the end of last year and the kiddos LOVED it!
    Amanda
    Rock Stars At Work

• Second Grade Serenade July 5, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Good Idea!! I had nightmares about pencils by the end of the year!

Sending Tons of Teacher Love Your Way,

Lori

Second Grade Serenade

• Anonymous July 6, 2013 at 12:45 am

I bought golf pencils. You know, the little short pencils with no eraser?That's what my students are getting when they ask for something to write with. 🙂

Although, I do love the idea of the pencil challenge.

• Diane R July 6, 2013 at 4:27 am

Love the additions!

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• Maine 💙 #teachersummer #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Packing for the beach! I’m trying to stuff a few more books into my suitcase if I can...have you read any of these yet? #teachersonbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have magnetic whiteboards in your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I LOVE mine...I only wish all of my walls could be filled with magnetic whiteboards! 😂 This year, I started using a little magnetic tool to save lots of time...and to avoid repeating information over and over.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made these little due date magnets and they help in two ways. They hold extra assignments, forms, and work samples.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They display the due date! Swipe to see some pics from our class. These little magnets kept me MUCH more organized this year...and they kept my fourth graders in the know!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They are the perfect (easy) summer project for a rainy day...that’s actually what I’m doing today! 🌧 If you would like to see more, the link to this resource is in my profile (http://bit.ly/duedatemagnets)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • So I managed to avoid shoving things into random places...mostly 😂 #classroomorganization #kindof #randompaperplates #andnapkins #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • All packed up and ready for summer!! 😅 Best wishes to my friends still wrapping up their school years! #summertime #canbarelymove #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th
    • Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram