My New (no wait, old!) Color Scheme!

July 2, 2013

My New (no wait, old!) Color Scheme!

July 2, 2013
Happy…um, what day is it? Ah, the bliss of summer vacation…I wasn’t sure at first!
So, do you want to talk color schemes?
I’ve been thinking a lot about mine for next year…since late winter, in fact!
You see I absolutely loved it this year (you can see some old pictures here). It was bright and happy, my 5th graders liked it (those colors are very in with kids…have you seen those bright clothes they wear??), it made me smile every day (I’m not joking, I’m weird about ambiance like that!)…so I thought, why change?
But, I should know myself better by now. Even if I say I’m not going to change something, I always end up switching it up a bit in some way. I just can’t help it!
So, I’ve been working for awhile now on some new signs. Same color scheme, a bit rearranged. Actually, a bit more adhered to my old color scheme…
Flipped Signs with the same five bright colors, all throughout the room!
The oval shape was inspired by my old student number labels from last summer
and a bit by the plastic bags project I made in June…
And these Oval-Shaped Leveled Library Labels are the first in the series! You can read more about them by clicking the image below…
And for those of you who are working on a similar color scheme, I would love to give a few sets of the Leveled Library Labels right now!
If interested, please leave a comment with your email below. I will take the first three to comment below…
What color scheme are you planning to use this year? Thanks so much for visiting!

PS! If you’d like to find out about quick chances for freebies like this, please visit my Facebook page where you will get a heads up! 🙂

Clipart courtesy of Miss Tiina at www.misstiina.com

• Ximena July 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I am planning my black and white theme, again. I love this new oval labels!!

• Suzy Q July 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Brights (red, yellow, green) with a touch of black. Figure those colors will let me do a lot.

Love your creations…you are so clever! (And I have a hard time leaving anything exactly the same, too!)

tokyoshoes at hotmail dot com

• Diane R July 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I'm doing rainbow colors. These are so cute!

Diane

• Diane R July 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm

BTW, I made a bunch of the bag containers with your design 😉

• Kristen July 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm

That's three, thank you ladies! I'm sending the file right now 🙂

• Justina Babiarz July 2, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I'm doing the bright colors too! I love them because they're like a pick me up in the classroom! Your labels are always great! I have always tried to find the clipart you use for your things because that's adorable too and I know my students would love that on their classwork but can never find them 🙁 (Sometimes I feel like I am website searching illiterate because I even went to the place you said you found the clipart lol)

• Ms. Morgart July 2, 2013 at 10:49 pm

These are beautiful!! You are so super talented and I can't wait to use these in my room!!

• Lindsay July 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I know what you mean, it's hard to keep a room exactly the same, even when you love it the way it is! I love where you are going with these new signs though!

Lindsay
    Live Laugh & Learn in Second Grade

• Elizabeth S. July 2, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I love these, Kristen! They match beautifully with everything that you have created lately. (Well, this last year.) I'm sure if someone sees them they will be able to say, "Hey, those are from Ladybug's Teacher Files, aren't they?" because they are so unique! Beautiful job as always!

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

• Sara Stockton July 3, 2013 at 12:50 am

I am using black,bright turquoise,and bright purple in my room this year 🙂

Sara

The Aspiring Teacher

• Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 1:16 am

As always, another beautiful creation! I agree with Justina's comment, too. I love the clipart you use, and sometimes when I try to find it, I can't seem to locate everything. But, I guess that's part of what makes it so unique! 🙂

• Courtney July 3, 2013 at 2:51 am

Just curious..do you print all of these items you use at home? Do you have a regular inkjet printer or a laser??
    Courtney
    Teaching in Paradise

• 4321Teach July 3, 2013 at 3:34 am

You crack me up! 🙂
    I love the colors you use and agree that they are quite popular!
    I'm glad you stuck with them because they made you so happy last year.
    Changing up the style though was a great idea! 🙂
    I miss the classroom when it comes to decorating.
    I was going to decorate my office last year with blues and greens similar to yours but maybe a bit deeper.
    My office turned out to be more of a book room though. lol
    Antoinette

• Reagan Tunstall July 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Oh my goodness!! Everything you do amazes me! ME ME ME ME…did you hear that subliminal message?!? 🙂
    I would love these!
    reagan.tunstall@gmail.com
    Reagan

• Reagan Tunstall July 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Oh duh…just saw that it was the first three…I may need an eye doctor. sorry about that but I am grabbing those signs anyway!
    Love ya!!!
    Reagan

• Mel - From the Pond July 3, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Looks amazing as always! 🙂

• Collaboration Cuties July 3, 2013 at 6:59 pm

These are adorable! I had just bought this pack (with circles) in May I think…And I have the alphabet…are you changing the alphabet too? I may wait before I print those to see if you change it and if I want that one instead. :O)

Your products are always so crisp and clean looking but colorful and fun…I'm still aspiring to create things like you…who am I kidding…I'll just buy yours! :O)

Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

• The Wild Rumpus July 4, 2013 at 3:07 pm

You have such a great eye, my dear. If I were planning on renovating my color scheme, I would so go in this direction. I THINK I'm sticking with aqua/lime, and your cursive alphabet is going to look amazing in my room.

• ~Stephanie July 4, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I am seriously considering going with an entire Ladybug decor room this year. You know how much I love the way your design aesthetic looks. Personally, I will go with the black background and the white signs. I like how you always have the picture coming off the way it does. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• carol garris July 4, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I love these! My color scheme this year is black, turquoise, and lime green. I cannot wait for the school year to start back.
    carolgarris@ccs.k12.nc.us

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram