Optimum Organization: a Scanning App!

June 1, 2013

Optimum Organization: a Scanning App!

June 1, 2013
Happy weekend everyone!! I am so excited to be hosting a new weekly linky party with my dear friend Elizabeth!

Would you like to join us?
Here are the steps…

1. Write a blog post about one or both of the following:

An Organizational Idea
This can be something that you’ve used in the past that has worked well, or something you are developing this summer for next year. One idea is fine, as this will be a weekly linky party.
and/or
An Organizational Find
Share a find you scored when out and about shopping during the summer. Bins, binders, folders, containers…any of those items that make a huge difference in our classroom organization and management.

2. Grab a button for your blog post:

3. Link on up! You can join the party on Elizabeth’s blog or mine…it’s all the same party so come on over. We’ll be hosting each Saturday this summer!
4. The Fine Print! We do have a couple of rules for this linky, as shown below. Please note that any links that do not follow the rules will be deleted regrettably.
The purpose of this linky party is to provide new and veteran teachers a
chance to come together and share ideas on how to get organized for a
new school year.  Please join us and share your advice and expertise, but not links to products please. Please share new posts in which you are participating in the party, not links to older posts or labels on your blog. Thanks so much for your understanding!
We want everyone to feel welcome to participate! Don’t have a blog? Please stop by and leave comments each week sharing your tips with us…we can learn so much from each other! 🙂

Here is my Optimum Organization for the week…

Not trying to be dramatic or anything, but I really think my iPad has saved my life organizationally! I know I’ve told you about my gradebook app and how much I adore that. I take meeting notes on it now. I no longer lose important information. AND! It’s all in one place, which I just love.
I want to continue utilizing my iPad in the best way possible. My latest goal has been to reduce the paper clutter I have accumulated.
I started working towards this goal last month when I purchased a scanning app called Genius Scan+ (the green link will take you to the app store for more previews…there is also a free version if you would like to try it out).
This is a cool little app that lets you use your iPad as a document scanner (this isn’t a review, I purchased the app awhile back).
And it’s very easy to do…
Just open the app and take a picture of your document:
 (this is an old snowflake coloring page, just for an example)
Once you’ve taken the photo, you will see these orange lines:
You can drag these lines to select the document to have it scan just as you would like:
(this allows you to select the best parts of the document…like dragging it past that black copier line on the right hand side)
Once you have the document selected how you would like, you can hit the Use button on the bottom of the screen, then save the document:
You can save it in the documents section of Genius Scan+ itself, or choose from other options. I have been organizing and saving my scanned documents in Dropbox.
This is where the optimum organization part comes in for me!
I have been saving documents from meetings with this app. So all of those awesome articles we get at our PLCs? The ones that I, ahem, misplace accidentally every so often (or very often, if I am to be completely honest with you)?
Well, thanks to this app, I have been scanning them, saving them in a folder, and then discarding the paperwork. I love this because it is reducing my paperwork clutter and I no longer lose any important papers…they are all right there in my iPad. I couldn’t be happier with this!
The only slight drawback to this app is the print quality.
Since it is a photo scanned digitally, it does create a less high-quality document when you print it out. I don’t mind this however, since most of the documents I am scanning are for professional reading and I don’t need to print them.
The other documents I am saving are older papers that don’t have such wonderful quality to begin with, so I’m fine with the print quality for these.
We are  in school for three more weeks and I am decluttering paperwork as I get cleaned up. Actually, I should say I am scanning and throwing out paperwork as I clean up. And that, my dear readers, is a wonderfully organized feeling!

Thanks for visiting and please feel free to link up and share your Optimum Organization for the week!

Loading InLinkz …

• Sarah Adams June 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Wow! I want an iPad now. (Like I didn't before??) That is fantastic! I will have to look around on my iPhone to see if there are any scanning apps there. Scanning your PD notes is a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing and hosting this linky party!

Sarah
    Miss A's Kindergarten

• First Grade Buddies June 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm

We have a scanner app on our phones and LOVE it!! We have used it for so many things!! It is so handy in the classroom to remember projects and activities kiddos have completed. We love how you can use it to keep multiple pictures together in one file, then email it. We are sure it is even better to use on the iPad because of the bigger screen…like your idea to keep articles to read. It's a great idea!

🙂 Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

• Miss B. June 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I. love. this.! My goal this summer is to scan in all my files and put together a digital file cabinet vs. the disaster I have going on now. Thanks!! 🙂

Real Teachers Learn

• Exploring Elementary June 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Oh I love that scanner app! What a great idea to use for meetings! I am SO tired of the paper clutter!

Carmen Zeisler

Exploring Elementary
    Fourth Grade

• Courtney Bartlett June 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Great idea Kristen! I'm definitely going to check this app out.

Swimming into Second

• Elizabeth June 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

We were just talking about this at school yesterday! We needed to scan something (and nobody's scanner is working properly because we just upgraded our computers and the scanners are no longer compatible). So, I suggested taking a picture with the iPad. But, the quality wasn't that great. I think this app would be a little better. It looks more crisp than just taking a photo. Going to check it out right now! Thanks for the perfect organizational tip 🙂

Elizabeth

• The Wild Rumpus June 1, 2013 at 4:46 pm

This is AWESOME! I have a mile-high pile of papers that need to have something done with them, and this is a great option. I hate my file cabinet and have been trying to move to binders or toss things entirely. This is a great option for those things that I need, but don't need to be in a binder. I would love to get to the point where I don't even need those, but in terms of sharing with colleagues, I still need hard copies of some things. I have a long-term paperless goal, but I'm not there yet!

• Corinna June 1, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Kristen! I will be checking this out today!

Aloha,
    Corinna

• Brandi June 1, 2013 at 5:25 pm

This is great for decluttering! That's one of my organizational goals this year too!

Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

• kheila dunkerly June 1, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for sharing…going to check this out!
    Kheila
    Two Friends In First

• Magic Mistakes and Mayhem June 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Definitely getting this! Thanks for the post!

x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

• Brandee Green June 1, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Great idea…I have been looking for a good scanning app. It looks like you have done the leg work for me. Thanks! I'll check it out.
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

• Tamera Anne June 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm

What a great idea! I've been scanning my files to get rid of paper and throwing them away but I've barely made a dent in my file cabinet! This will be SOOOOO much easier! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

• Raye June 1, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Oh my word! That is the best app ever!! I am with everyone else, this app would definitely help me keep up with clutter! I would no longer need to keep paper copies of ANYTHING (even parent communications) because I could just scan them. Off to purchase!!

• Everyone deServes to Learn June 3, 2013 at 1:05 am

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing. We have google tablets at my school and I bet I could do the same thing with our document camera, no app needed. You just gave me a great idea!

-Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

• Molly June 3, 2013 at 2:45 am

What a neat app! I've never heard of it before, but I definitely need to cut down some of my paper clutter! And I have the same problem with misplacing papers!! 🙂

Molly

• U of M June 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm

How do you go about printing them once they are on the Ipad then if you need them? I really want to get rid of as much paper as possible this summer!

Sarah

• Kristen June 4, 2013 at 1:32 am

Hi Sarah! I think I can access my Dropbox account on my computer and just print from there when needed. Still learning about it, but it's kind of fun to see all the paper go! Thanks for reading and commenting 🙂 🙂

• There is an app that you can purchase for 9.99 that allows you to print from your ipad. Although, I believe it can only be done with a wireless printer. I could be wrong though.
      Jenea

• Collaboration Cuties June 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Oh my. I'm not sure I can handle scanning all of my paperwork. It takes a good bit of time I'm sure. My problem is that I don't always look through my saved documents (like when I'm lesson planning) so I end up recreating stuff or just not using things because I never looked (because I just forget). I like this idea, though. Does it save as a jpeg?

I definitely think it would be great to use for all of the fluff, I mean stuff, that we get from faculty meetings and staff development instead of it sitting in file folders or binders that we never look through again.

:O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

• Ms.M June 4, 2013 at 2:20 am

This is BRILLIANT. thank you for sharing lv.
    Mels

• I was actually browsing cool ipad apps to help me with classroom organization and came across this app earlier today! The gears began turning for all the things I could use this app for. I did not think about all of the packets we get for professional development! What a great idea! I was thinking about scanning lessons by the 9 weeks. So that instead of having 4 binders full of the lessons that I used, I would have folders in dropbox. Then of course there is that handy app that allows you to print wirelessly from your ipad! Thanks for sharing!
    Jenea

• Matt Sutton June 6, 2013 at 1:53 am

This is great. thanks for the app suggestion. It will be used.

matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

• U of M June 28, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I think I am going to use the Dropbox idea. I have misc. worksheets from Mailbox and all types of things that I don't want in binders anymore.

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram