Optimum Organization: Baskets for Everything!

June 16, 2013

Optimum Organization: Baskets for Everything!

June 16, 2013
I am so sorry I am late with this! I have had one of those 24 hour viruses this weekend and on top of that, we are heading in to our last week of school so it has been paperwork galore for me.
So, because of the paperwork mentioned above, this is going to be a very quick one for me this week!
And it’s all about baskets.
Because baskets have really helped me keep things in order this school year. These baskets in particular…
(from Really Good Stuff)

I’ve had them for years and have loved them so much, I picked up new colors to add to my blue last year…

What I love most about them (besides the fact they are rugged and the colors are great!) is that I can use them in all aspects of my classroom organization…baskets for my paperwork, baskets for my students’ paperwork. As long as I have a basket for every aspect of paperwork I can think of, things seem to stay so much more organized (speaking as a somewhat-reformed-paper-stacker…is there ever a true cure for that??)
Here are the ways I have used them this year:
  • Homework
 (so I had a place for homework assignments as I ran them off)
  • Work
(where I stored the students’ work to be passed out during the week)

• Assignments

(this is the place where my students passed in their assignments)

• Additional Organization
I don’t have a photo for this one, I’m sorry (hate when that happens!). I use any extra baskets for organizational needs that may come up during the year.
Most recently, I have set up baskets to help manage the end of the year madness: Assessments, Permission Slips, and End of the Year paperwork. This has helped me keep everything in order during that last rush of paperwork frenzy 🙂
If you are interested in those black labels featured in the pictures above, please click here for the free download: My Favorite Baskets
If you would like to join Elizabeth and I for our linky, we would be delighted! Just link up below…

document.write(‘

• Brandee Green June 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Ahhh….I love baskets. 🙂
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

• AMC Looking From Third to Fourth June 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I really like that you have different baskets for different types of homework.Often I tell a student that I don't have their work only to realize I have to dig through all the papers to find it! I am trying to figure out a new and improved way of keeping track of who has handed in the different types of homework. Hopefully someone links up with an idea :). Thanks for hosting, hope you feel better and that your paperwork is under control.

• Melissa June 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I have used a file sorter very successfully with my first graders. I introduced it to a fourth grade teacher and it has changed her life. Amazon has a plastic one for $15, it's turquoise. You can either assign students a number, or use their names (alphabetically by last or first) and they'll automatically be organized for your gradebook as well. You'll instantly see who hasn't turned in their papers, as well as if they have their NAME on their paper – a huge issue in first. I'm going to kindergarten next year, so I might begin the year with baskets and use the sorter only for me. Hope this helps!

• Melissa June 28, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I forgot to mention I used my label maker to attach their names on the tabs.

• Melissa June 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I love those baskets too! Especially since they were given to me by my fabulous sister! 😉 They definitely made my room more organized and a lot more colorful too! You are the best!

• Elizabeth Supan June 16, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I really need to invest in some of those baskets! I'm a paper stacker and need to be reformed! (To sound a bit more organized, I will say that I do paperclip them and stack them in a neat pile on the corner of my desk. However, in a basket, they would look more "organized", huh?) I sure hope you are feeling better. I'll be thinking of you during this last week 🙂

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Lauren June 16, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Kristen –

Do you remember where you found those baskets? I've been looking to replace my current ones and those look like they would be a good fit!

Lauren
    Life In Middle School

• Kristen June 17, 2013 at 1:17 am

Hey Lauren! They're from Really Good Stuff, I adore them!

• Lauren June 17, 2013 at 5:23 am

Thanks! I will be on the search! 😉

• Jessica June 16, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for hosting this linky party! I cannot wait to read other teachers' tips and tricks for organization.

Jessica
    The Littlest Scholars

• Miss Nelson June 16, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Thanks for hosting. I hope to share some other tips soon. I just love finding new tips.

• Courtney June 17, 2013 at 1:51 am

I'm in love with those baskets too! I have only the blue and seeing all those pretty colors makes me want to order more!! So I love the black label, but how do you do that?? Do you print the labels on black paper or just use black ink on white paper? Thanks!
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

• Kristen June 17, 2013 at 6:41 am

Thanks! It's black ink on white paper 🙂

• First Grade Buddies June 17, 2013 at 2:09 am

Love how colorful those baskets are!

🙂 Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

• Krista Mehrtens June 17, 2013 at 3:43 am

Love the bright colors! Thanks for sharing.

Krista
    Stellar-Students

• Anonymous June 17, 2013 at 11:59 am

I love these colorful baskets. I am looking to add some color to my classroom this week. Where did you buy all those with color?

Amanda

• Justina Babiarz June 17, 2013 at 5:58 pm

What are the signs that you have on the back of the assignment baskets? I also love these baskets! They are definitely durable!

• A Rocky Top Teacher June 17, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Hope you are feeling better! I have got to try a better way to collect my paper from my kiddos..the multiple baskets with labels just may be the answer!

Thanks!
    -Sarah
    A Rocky Top Teacher

• Lizzy @ The Teacher Chick June 17, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I love those baskets! I found mine at Jo Ann's Fabrics! Love the labels too! Thank you!!
    The Teacher Chick

• Molly June 18, 2013 at 5:28 am

I am a paper stacker too!! No matter how how I try to be organized, stacks of paper always manage to pile themselves up!! Love your colorful baskets to help control it all! 🙂

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

• Sarah June 20, 2013 at 3:23 am

This is great, Kristen! Thanks for sharing! I wish I could link up, but I unfortunately do not have any pictures of what I did last year. However, I did do something similar. I found some similar bins at the Target spot for $1 each!!! In really COOL colors, too! So I splurged and bought 15 of them after I had bought 12 cardboard trays at the beginning of the year. So I ended up doing the same thing as you. With a self-contained class of 5 homeroom students, each student had their own tray as a "finished-work bin" (to be graded and filed) and then I had some of the same baskets as you (for HW, signed papers, EOY paperwork, work samples, etc.). Thanks for sharing!
    ~Sarah

• Julie Marciniak June 20, 2013 at 6:22 am

Hi Kristen!
    I am sorry for linking up so late but I just couldn't resist! I have a two-part workroom clean up that fits right into your organizational theme! And speaking of organization, WOWZA! Your baskets and labels are FANTASTIC! I love the variety of colors! Thank you so much for sharing your labels with me! I am excited to start typing them in tonight!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

• Mrs. Saoud June 23, 2013 at 2:46 am

You are such a rock star for me! I always enjoy reading your post!

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram