Scientific Method Signs

May 14, 2013

Scientific Method Signs

May 14, 2013
So, it seems it has become a tradition for me to redesign these signs each year. This is the third set I’ve made and shared here on my blog. And I’m linking them up with my friend Tara for her Monday Made It!
There are nine signs in all, displaying the different steps of the scientific method…

They’re a bit bright to look at here, but I promise they print out nicely! I wish I had a picture from my class to show them in action (well, kind of in action, since they really are just sitting there on a bulletin board) but alas I am in the midst of assessments and do not have any photos!
I do have them in a file to share though…please click on the image below for a direct download:
I hope they can be of use. Thanks for stopping by, I hope your week is off to a nice start!

• Brooke at Whooo's in Second? May 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

Kristen,
    I love the signs – no need to ever redo again! They're super cute and perfect…
    Brooke

• Mrs. Wathen May 14, 2013 at 2:55 am

I am working on our Science Fair project this week. These are PERFECT!
    Thanks for sharing.

Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

• ~Stephanie May 14, 2013 at 2:56 am

Fabulous! And good timing too….I am in the middle of thinking about this scientific method thing to end the year (not that we haven't been doing it all year….but our science fair projects came back today and, well, we need a refresher….again.)

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• 4321Teach May 14, 2013 at 3:22 am

Kristen, these are cute! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

EmilyK

• Suzy Q May 14, 2013 at 3:39 am

You know these are great when we don't even GET to do experiments in second grade, but I downloaded them anyway! Thank you for sharing…I love your visual sense!

• Brandee Green May 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

One of my teacher friends just decided to teach Science next year…I am going to download these and give them as a surprise today! Thanks for sharing. They are so cute!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

• Susan Cahalane May 14, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hi Kristen, I love these bright, fun signs! Thanks so much for sharing!!

✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

• Stephanie May 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm

These are awesome! I see a new bulletin board in our future!!

❤ -Stephanie
    Falling Into First

• Everyone deServes to Learn May 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm

They are so pretty. I know they will come in handy some day!

-Maria

• monstermum1 May 14, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I was asked for a password after I had tried to download the signs. Is that how you designed it, so that they could not be saved?

• Jane May 15, 2013 at 1:55 am

I love these signs – thanks so much for sharing. They will surely brighten up my science board.

Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

• Rachel May 16, 2013 at 2:32 am

They look great! I always love your signs!

Rachel
    thirdgradecupcakes@blogspot.com

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram