Pencil Honors! (The Great Pencil Challenge Part 2)

May 11, 2013

Pencil Honors! (The Great Pencil Challenge Part 2)

May 11, 2013
Hello dear friends! Well, it has been many weeks since my class first began The Great Pencil Challenge.

And it has been going so well!! I’ve yet to buy a new package of pencils during my weekly errands and that makes for one happy 5th grade teacher.

🙂

So, I am back with the promised Pencil Honors sign. This sign can be printed, laminated, and used to record students’ names.

We have our pencil check-in each Friday, so this is the time we conduct our ceremony of honors (which is nowhere as formal as it sounds).

As a quick way to work in some math, we have also begun recording the pencil stats. Which, for us in 5th grade, means a fraction converted to a decimal, then to a percentage of students who kept their pencils for the entire week. The stats could be recorded in a variety of ways, depending upon your grade level.

I compiled The Great Pencil Challenge poster and Pencil Honors poster into one file. If you’ve already downloaded this file, you will find a revised version if you download again.

Please click the preview below to see both posters, if you would like to use them…

Have you tried The Great Pencil Challenge? Is it working ok in your class? I hope so and would love to hear all about it!

• Ashley Reed May 11, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Love, love, love. I definitely need to try this with my firsties!
    Visit my blog- Just Reed!

• Lovely Nina May 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Cute idea!

• Mrs. Saoud May 11, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Creative and soooo smart.

• Elizabeth May 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I am definitely implementing this in my classroom starting this week! We are down to one pack and have 4 weeks left!! Thanks for the cute posters!

• Brandee Green May 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm

So cute! I downloaded and been following to see how the challenge is working out for you. 🙂 I should truly get it together and make it happen. It's a fabulous plan!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

• ~Stephanie May 11, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I really love the stats portion of this. Way to keep it academically rigorous and challenging, yet fun at the same time. Fabulous Kristen, really fabulous!

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Miss DeCarbo May 12, 2013 at 2:56 am

How CUTE! 🙂

Sugar and Spice

• Leslie Bateman May 12, 2013 at 4:20 am

We have been doing the pencil challenge for the last few weeks. I love it! I don't tell the kids when I am checking, so they have to be sure to have the pencil at all times. I even had one student who didn't want to lose it so he put it in his backpack for safe keeping. Lol. I had to explain the point is to have the pencil with him so he could use it. Thanks for the cute freebie!

• Natalie Crockett May 12, 2013 at 4:39 am

YES!!! My whole team is doing it!! Thanks for a fabulous idea and some gorgeous signs!!

• Kim May 12, 2013 at 5:06 am

I love this, Kristen! And everything is so cute–with your help, our rooms all look good while we are trying to meet the challenge! Thanks for your always-generous shrinking!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Tiffany May May 12, 2013 at 5:59 pm

What a GREAT day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(( hugs ))
    Tiffany
    One Fab Teacher

• Runde's Room May 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Ummmmm …. saving pencils AND using fraction and percent conversions … I think I'm in love. ♥

Jen
    Runde's Room

• 4321Teach May 13, 2013 at 4:34 am

Such a great idea and the posters are so cute.
    Thank you for all you do for us in the blogging world. I bet you are an amazing teacher. 🙂
    Antoinette

• Ms.M May 13, 2013 at 5:40 am

I wish I could use this, but my kids have a communal pencil bucket. I love the look though!
    Mels

• Rachel May 16, 2013 at 2:34 am

Brilliant! I just went on maternity leave, but I look forward to doing the Great Pencil Challenge in the fall.

Rachel
    thirdgradecupcakes@blogspot.com

• Vanessa Crown June 1, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Sounds like an AWESOME idea! I will be using this in the fall…but I'll have to give some kind of incentive with my second graders! After a few weeks most of them will be over having recognition and want a prize!

• Miss Mel June 9, 2013 at 1:05 am

<3 this! Just tried it in my class and my 5th graders went CRAZY trying to hold on to their pencils! We're up to 2 weeks now… 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• megan helmick June 20, 2013 at 11:39 am

What an Awesome Idea! Thanks so much! Pencils are always an issue…. I can't wait to do this in my classroom.

• Mrs. Wozniak's Class July 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Love love love!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram