Pencil Honors! (The Great Pencil Challenge Part 2)

May 11, 2013

Pencil Honors! (The Great Pencil Challenge Part 2)

May 11, 2013
Hello dear friends! Well, it has been many weeks since my class first began The Great Pencil Challenge.

And it has been going so well!! I’ve yet to buy a new package of pencils during my weekly errands and that makes for one happy 5th grade teacher.

🙂

So, I am back with the promised Pencil Honors sign. This sign can be printed, laminated, and used to record students’ names.

We have our pencil check-in each Friday, so this is the time we conduct our ceremony of honors (which is nowhere as formal as it sounds).

As a quick way to work in some math, we have also begun recording the pencil stats. Which, for us in 5th grade, means a fraction converted to a decimal, then to a percentage of students who kept their pencils for the entire week. The stats could be recorded in a variety of ways, depending upon your grade level.

I compiled The Great Pencil Challenge poster and Pencil Honors poster into one file. If you’ve already downloaded this file, you will find a revised version if you download again.

Please click the preview below to see both posters, if you would like to use them…

Have you tried The Great Pencil Challenge? Is it working ok in your class? I hope so and would love to hear all about it!

• Ashley Reed May 11, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Love, love, love. I definitely need to try this with my firsties!
    Visit my blog- Just Reed!

• Lovely Nina May 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Cute idea!

• Mrs. Saoud May 11, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Creative and soooo smart.

• Elizabeth May 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I am definitely implementing this in my classroom starting this week! We are down to one pack and have 4 weeks left!! Thanks for the cute posters!

• Brandee Green May 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm

So cute! I downloaded and been following to see how the challenge is working out for you. 🙂 I should truly get it together and make it happen. It's a fabulous plan!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

• ~Stephanie May 11, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I really love the stats portion of this. Way to keep it academically rigorous and challenging, yet fun at the same time. Fabulous Kristen, really fabulous!

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Miss DeCarbo May 12, 2013 at 2:56 am

How CUTE! 🙂

Sugar and Spice

• Leslie Bateman May 12, 2013 at 4:20 am

We have been doing the pencil challenge for the last few weeks. I love it! I don't tell the kids when I am checking, so they have to be sure to have the pencil at all times. I even had one student who didn't want to lose it so he put it in his backpack for safe keeping. Lol. I had to explain the point is to have the pencil with him so he could use it. Thanks for the cute freebie!

• Natalie Crockett May 12, 2013 at 4:39 am

YES!!! My whole team is doing it!! Thanks for a fabulous idea and some gorgeous signs!!

• Kim May 12, 2013 at 5:06 am

I love this, Kristen! And everything is so cute–with your help, our rooms all look good while we are trying to meet the challenge! Thanks for your always-generous shrinking!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Tiffany May May 12, 2013 at 5:59 pm

What a GREAT day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(( hugs ))
    Tiffany
    One Fab Teacher

• Runde's Room May 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Ummmmm …. saving pencils AND using fraction and percent conversions … I think I'm in love. ♥

Jen
    Runde's Room

• 4321Teach May 13, 2013 at 4:34 am

Such a great idea and the posters are so cute.
    Thank you for all you do for us in the blogging world. I bet you are an amazing teacher. 🙂
    Antoinette

• Ms.M May 13, 2013 at 5:40 am

I wish I could use this, but my kids have a communal pencil bucket. I love the look though!
    Mels

• Rachel May 16, 2013 at 2:34 am

Brilliant! I just went on maternity leave, but I look forward to doing the Great Pencil Challenge in the fall.

Rachel
    thirdgradecupcakes@blogspot.com

• Vanessa Crown June 1, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Sounds like an AWESOME idea! I will be using this in the fall…but I'll have to give some kind of incentive with my second graders! After a few weeks most of them will be over having recognition and want a prize!

• Miss Mel June 9, 2013 at 1:05 am

<3 this! Just tried it in my class and my 5th graders went CRAZY trying to hold on to their pencils! We're up to 2 weeks now… 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• megan helmick June 20, 2013 at 11:39 am

What an Awesome Idea! Thanks so much! Pencils are always an issue…. I can't wait to do this in my classroom.

• Mrs. Wozniak's Class July 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Love love love!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram