Pencil Honors! (The Great Pencil Challenge Part 2)

May 11, 2013

Pencil Honors! (The Great Pencil Challenge Part 2)

May 11, 2013
Hello dear friends! Well, it has been many weeks since my class first began The Great Pencil Challenge.

And it has been going so well!! I’ve yet to buy a new package of pencils during my weekly errands and that makes for one happy 5th grade teacher.

🙂

So, I am back with the promised Pencil Honors sign. This sign can be printed, laminated, and used to record students’ names.

We have our pencil check-in each Friday, so this is the time we conduct our ceremony of honors (which is nowhere as formal as it sounds).

As a quick way to work in some math, we have also begun recording the pencil stats. Which, for us in 5th grade, means a fraction converted to a decimal, then to a percentage of students who kept their pencils for the entire week. The stats could be recorded in a variety of ways, depending upon your grade level.

I compiled The Great Pencil Challenge poster and Pencil Honors poster into one file. If you’ve already downloaded this file, you will find a revised version if you download again.

Please click the preview below to see both posters, if you would like to use them…

Have you tried The Great Pencil Challenge? Is it working ok in your class? I hope so and would love to hear all about it!

• Ashley Reed May 11, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Love, love, love. I definitely need to try this with my firsties!
    Visit my blog- Just Reed!

• Lovely Nina May 11, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Cute idea!

• Mrs. Saoud May 11, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Creative and soooo smart.

• Elizabeth May 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I am definitely implementing this in my classroom starting this week! We are down to one pack and have 4 weeks left!! Thanks for the cute posters!

• Brandee Green May 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm

So cute! I downloaded and been following to see how the challenge is working out for you. 🙂 I should truly get it together and make it happen. It's a fabulous plan!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

• ~Stephanie May 11, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I really love the stats portion of this. Way to keep it academically rigorous and challenging, yet fun at the same time. Fabulous Kristen, really fabulous!

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Miss DeCarbo May 12, 2013 at 2:56 am

How CUTE! 🙂

Sugar and Spice

• Leslie Bateman May 12, 2013 at 4:20 am

We have been doing the pencil challenge for the last few weeks. I love it! I don't tell the kids when I am checking, so they have to be sure to have the pencil at all times. I even had one student who didn't want to lose it so he put it in his backpack for safe keeping. Lol. I had to explain the point is to have the pencil with him so he could use it. Thanks for the cute freebie!

• Natalie Crockett May 12, 2013 at 4:39 am

YES!!! My whole team is doing it!! Thanks for a fabulous idea and some gorgeous signs!!

• Kim May 12, 2013 at 5:06 am

I love this, Kristen! And everything is so cute–with your help, our rooms all look good while we are trying to meet the challenge! Thanks for your always-generous shrinking!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Tiffany May May 12, 2013 at 5:59 pm

What a GREAT day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(( hugs ))
    Tiffany
    One Fab Teacher

• Runde's Room May 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Ummmmm …. saving pencils AND using fraction and percent conversions … I think I'm in love. ♥

Jen
    Runde's Room

• 4321Teach May 13, 2013 at 4:34 am

Such a great idea and the posters are so cute.
    Thank you for all you do for us in the blogging world. I bet you are an amazing teacher. 🙂
    Antoinette

• Ms.M May 13, 2013 at 5:40 am

I wish I could use this, but my kids have a communal pencil bucket. I love the look though!
    Mels

• Rachel May 16, 2013 at 2:34 am

Brilliant! I just went on maternity leave, but I look forward to doing the Great Pencil Challenge in the fall.

Rachel
    thirdgradecupcakes@blogspot.com

• Vanessa Crown June 1, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Sounds like an AWESOME idea! I will be using this in the fall…but I'll have to give some kind of incentive with my second graders! After a few weeks most of them will be over having recognition and want a prize!

• Miss Mel June 9, 2013 at 1:05 am

<3 this! Just tried it in my class and my 5th graders went CRAZY trying to hold on to their pencils! We're up to 2 weeks now… 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• megan helmick June 20, 2013 at 11:39 am

What an Awesome Idea! Thanks so much! Pencils are always an issue…. I can't wait to do this in my classroom.

• Mrs. Wozniak's Class July 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Love love love!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram