Five for Friday (Fieldtrip!)

May 17, 2013

Five for Friday (Fieldtrip!)

May 17, 2013
We have five weeks left of school and are in the midst of several projects and field trips…and today was the perfect example of that! So I’m linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to share our Five for Friday…field trip version!
Today we took our Atlantic salmon fry to the river to release them…
After we released our fry in the river, we took a trip to our local fishways and saw salmon using the fish ladder!! We’ve never seen such a large salmon at the fish ladder, in all our years visiting the fishways!

We also started to work on our ecosystem projects today…

This is the beginning of the aquarium, which will be connected to a terrarium in the coming weeks.

Today was all about the aquatic plants…

(and our salmon of course!)

How was your Friday? 🙂

• Ashley Reed May 17, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Love these! Wow…I'd pass out if I had 5 weeks left. I'm pooped!! When do you start back in the fall? We go back the first week of August!
    Ashley
    Just Reed!

• Kristen May 17, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Hey Ashley! Are you out of school yet? We don't go back til the first week of September 🙂

• Everyone deServes to Learn May 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm

That is such an awesome project. I would love to do something so real and meaningful with my students next year.

-Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

• Second-grade-alicious May 17, 2013 at 11:49 pm

We have 5 weeks left as well but we have a long weekend this weekend so that helps make the rest of the year go quicker!

• Brandee Green May 17, 2013 at 11:49 pm
  • Tara May 18, 2013 at 12:13 am

What a fun field trip! My kids would love doing this:) Love the pics! You have 5 weeks! I have 5 days! Yikes:)

4th Grade Frolics

• Learning in Progress! May 18, 2013 at 12:41 am

What a hectic Friday! We had a field trip. I didn't even have a group of kids and I am exhausted! I love your pictures. Thanks for sharing!

• Stacy May 18, 2013 at 1:06 am

Wowza… we have 5 more days until summer… but we start august 1st. Looks like your ecosystems projects are going to be awesome! Hope your next 5 weeks go by SUPER fast!!!
    Stacy
    Funky Fresh Firsties

• Molly May 18, 2013 at 1:22 am

What a neat field trip! We will be starting our terrariums next week and then slowly adding earthworms, pill bugs, and sow bugs! What kinds of things do you guys put in your terrariums? And I'm glad I'm not the only one with several weeks left of school! I feel like everyone is already down to single digits and I still have over a month! Hope you have an awesome weekend!

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

• Collaboration Cuties May 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Hm. I don't know about these aquariums and terrariums…I feel like I'm missing out on something…and that just won't do…is there a blog post about them or is this just something you do? It looks really neat!

And, by the way…fish kinda creep me out. But mostly only when they rub against my leg in a lake or ocean. But that one fish is really big. I'm not lovin' it. It gives me chills actually.

I bet they are having fun with the field trips and aquariums though!! They look fun!

Have a great weekend!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

PS- My first day back is July 31st. The kids- Aug. 7th. Crazy how we are all different…who decides this stuff??? Not me…for sure…

• Ms.M May 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Oh it all looks like so much fun. I have 4 days left and was thinking of all the possibilities of five weeks. Have fun and make the most of it. It will be gone before you know it.
    Mels.

• ~Stephanie May 18, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Looks like such a fun day! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Shannon May 19, 2013 at 5:23 am

I wish our kids had access to something hands on like this!! Have a great 5 weeks. You will be singing in August while we are all in the classroom! 🙂

Shannon

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram