Tutorial: Shopping Guides and Galleries

April 6, 2013

Tutorial: Shopping Guides and Galleries

April 6, 2013
Happy weekend my friends! I hope you are all doing well and everything is springy in your area!
Today I’d like to share a new tutorial with you. It’s actually based off of an older tutorial (Creating Thumbnail Galleries).

So, you already know that many of the files on my blog are set up as thumbnail galleries…

I just love them!! There are so many benefits to thumbnail galleries…especially if you’ve been blogging for awhile now.

Galleries allow you to do the following:

• Showcase your older posts (they get buried quickly by newer ones, don’t they?)
  • Provide your readers a nice, visual navigation of your blog.
  • Set up shopping guides for your customers.
  • Offer pin-ready images for your visitors…and it’s the image you’d like to be pinned most, since you chose it for your gallery.

And though I loved the ease of setting up my galleries with inLinkz last year, I am switching them over to a new format for a few reasons:

• My thumbnails are kind of small and that hovering Pinterest icon (which I love!) blocks them a lot.
  • The smaller images look funny when pinned by readers and I’d like a larger preview to be selected for pinning.
  • I have more control over the overall layout and font size with this newer format.
So what does this newer format look like? You can see it in its beginning stages on my Shop page.

And it’s pretty easy to set up! All you need are some picture previews of your files, this AWESOME HTML Table Generator tool, and a little bit of code work. Don’t worry, it’s not the scary kind of code, I promise!

If you’d like to learn more, please click here to see the video. (I’m wicked sorry it’s not embedded in this post–I am having a terrible time with technology this week, I don’t know why!).

In other, unrelated news I have some new social networking icons located at the top of my blog…and right here:

photo myfacebook.png  photo mytwitter.png  photo mypinterest.png

I’d love for you to meet up with me on any of them if you’d like. Thanks so much for reading!! 🙂

• Second-grade-alicious April 6, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Awesome idea!! Thanks so much for the tip. I'm going to check out your full tutorial later.

• Everyone deServes to Learn April 6, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! I will put it on my to-do list!

-Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

• Kimberlee :) April 6, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Very pretty and practical! Thanks for the idea!! 🙂

~ Kimberlee ~
    Teacher TimeSavers

• Elizabeth April 7, 2013 at 12:46 am

Yay! This was on my to-do list for Spring Break and I love this new way so much better! You rock, Kristen. Thanks for making my life so much easier 🙂

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Elizabeth April 7, 2013 at 12:48 am

PS~ Totally pinned it, too!

• Collaboration Cuties April 7, 2013 at 12:48 am

OMG. Are you reading my mind???? I was going to ask you about this because we are going to make something similar on our blog and I didn't realize you already had a tutorial (but I should have known)!! You are THE best!!

I {heart} you!!! (but not in a creepy way, I promise!!) ;O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

• Collaboration Cuties April 7, 2013 at 12:50 am

Seriously. I am so excited about this. Ok. I'm going to let it go so you don't think I'm crazy!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
      Amanda

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts April 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Love, love, love!!! Can't wait to delve into this and THANK YOU for sharing all of your wonderful know-how 🙂 You rock!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Erica Bohrer April 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I have been wanting to do the gallery images for a while. I just pinned this and will come back to it…hopefully soon! Your alphabet posters are gorgeous!

• YoungTeacherLove April 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Thank you for posting this Kristen! One of the reasons I love your blog so much is because it is so visually appealing! It's like candy for my eyes. I will be watching your video and this is going to be my first to-do list task come summer time!

I'm also so happy you added a Pinterest button! I've been searching for you on Pinterest and couldn't find you! 🙂

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• Jenn Miron April 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm

You're the best! I just came across your blog and I love this!! I'm a new follower!
    Thanks!
    Jenn
    DoodlingAroundin6thGrade

• Mrs. Cockrell April 12, 2013 at 3:05 am

You rock! Can't wait to watch the video. I've been wondering how to do this! Your Shop page looks awesome so far, and I am probably gonna have to buy the lime and teal alphabet for next year–matches my classroom perfectly!!!

-Gayla
    Teach On.

• Turned into a beautiful day 💙 #maine #teachersummer #iteachfourth #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Maine 💙 #teachersummer #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Packing for the beach! I’m trying to stuff a few more books into my suitcase if I can...have you read any of these yet? #teachersonbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have magnetic whiteboards in your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I LOVE mine...I only wish all of my walls could be filled with magnetic whiteboards! 😂 This year, I started using a little magnetic tool to save lots of time...and to avoid repeating information over and over.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made these little due date magnets and they help in two ways. They hold extra assignments, forms, and work samples.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They display the due date! Swipe to see some pics from our class. These little magnets kept me MUCH more organized this year...and they kept my fourth graders in the know!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They are the perfect (easy) summer project for a rainy day...that’s actually what I’m doing today! 🌧 If you would like to see more, the link to this resource is in my profile (http://bit.ly/duedatemagnets)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • So I managed to avoid shoving things into random places...mostly 😂 #classroomorganization #kindof #randompaperplates #andnapkins #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • All packed up and ready for summer!! 😅 Best wishes to my friends still wrapping up their school years! #summertime #canbarelymove #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th