Tutorial: Shopping Guides and Galleries

April 6, 2013

Tutorial: Shopping Guides and Galleries

April 6, 2013
Happy weekend my friends! I hope you are all doing well and everything is springy in your area!
Today I’d like to share a new tutorial with you. It’s actually based off of an older tutorial (Creating Thumbnail Galleries).

So, you already know that many of the files on my blog are set up as thumbnail galleries…

I just love them!! There are so many benefits to thumbnail galleries…especially if you’ve been blogging for awhile now.

Galleries allow you to do the following:

• Showcase your older posts (they get buried quickly by newer ones, don’t they?)
  • Provide your readers a nice, visual navigation of your blog.
  • Set up shopping guides for your customers.
  • Offer pin-ready images for your visitors…and it’s the image you’d like to be pinned most, since you chose it for your gallery.

And though I loved the ease of setting up my galleries with inLinkz last year, I am switching them over to a new format for a few reasons:

• My thumbnails are kind of small and that hovering Pinterest icon (which I love!) blocks them a lot.
  • The smaller images look funny when pinned by readers and I’d like a larger preview to be selected for pinning.
  • I have more control over the overall layout and font size with this newer format.
So what does this newer format look like? You can see it in its beginning stages on my Shop page.

And it’s pretty easy to set up! All you need are some picture previews of your files, this AWESOME HTML Table Generator tool, and a little bit of code work. Don’t worry, it’s not the scary kind of code, I promise!

If you’d like to learn more, please click here to see the video. (I’m wicked sorry it’s not embedded in this post–I am having a terrible time with technology this week, I don’t know why!).

In other, unrelated news I have some new social networking icons located at the top of my blog…and right here:

photo myfacebook.png  photo mytwitter.png  photo mypinterest.png

I’d love for you to meet up with me on any of them if you’d like. Thanks so much for reading!! 🙂

• Second-grade-alicious April 6, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Awesome idea!! Thanks so much for the tip. I'm going to check out your full tutorial later.

• Everyone deServes to Learn April 6, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! I will put it on my to-do list!

-Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

• Kimberlee :) April 6, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Very pretty and practical! Thanks for the idea!! 🙂

~ Kimberlee ~
    Teacher TimeSavers

• Elizabeth April 7, 2013 at 12:46 am

Yay! This was on my to-do list for Spring Break and I love this new way so much better! You rock, Kristen. Thanks for making my life so much easier 🙂

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Elizabeth April 7, 2013 at 12:48 am

PS~ Totally pinned it, too!

• Collaboration Cuties April 7, 2013 at 12:48 am

OMG. Are you reading my mind???? I was going to ask you about this because we are going to make something similar on our blog and I didn't realize you already had a tutorial (but I should have known)!! You are THE best!!

I {heart} you!!! (but not in a creepy way, I promise!!) ;O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

• Collaboration Cuties April 7, 2013 at 12:50 am

Seriously. I am so excited about this. Ok. I'm going to let it go so you don't think I'm crazy!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
      Amanda

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts April 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Love, love, love!!! Can't wait to delve into this and THANK YOU for sharing all of your wonderful know-how 🙂 You rock!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Erica Bohrer April 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I have been wanting to do the gallery images for a while. I just pinned this and will come back to it…hopefully soon! Your alphabet posters are gorgeous!

• YoungTeacherLove April 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Thank you for posting this Kristen! One of the reasons I love your blog so much is because it is so visually appealing! It's like candy for my eyes. I will be watching your video and this is going to be my first to-do list task come summer time!

I'm also so happy you added a Pinterest button! I've been searching for you on Pinterest and couldn't find you! 🙂

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• Jenn Miron April 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm

You're the best! I just came across your blog and I love this!! I'm a new follower!
    Thanks!
    Jenn
    DoodlingAroundin6thGrade

• Mrs. Cockrell April 12, 2013 at 3:05 am

You rock! Can't wait to watch the video. I've been wondering how to do this! Your Shop page looks awesome so far, and I am probably gonna have to buy the lime and teal alphabet for next year–matches my classroom perfectly!!!

-Gayla
    Teach On.

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram