Morphology Dictionary (prefixes, suffixes, & roots!)

April 29, 2013

Morphology Dictionary (prefixes, suffixes, & roots!)

April 29, 2013
Hi everyone!! I’m stopping by to share a new item available in my store. It’s something I’ve been working on all year and it is a big part of spelling and word work in our classroom!

It’s a student reference book called…

This dictionary features 320 commonly used prefixes, suffixes, and roots…all defined for the students. There are spaces to fill in words for each affix or root, as well as a places for illustrations…

The other part of this resource is a HUGE time-saver…

Teacher Word Lists! There are words already listed for each of the 320 affixes and roots…over 7,500 words to choose from in all!

The Morphology Dictionary is a resource that can be used many different ways. Teachers can…

• create and differentiate their own spelling lists (this is what I do!)

• supplement the spelling words within their current program

• set up word work to complete during Reader’s Workshop

• plan for vocabulary instruction
I will be back this week with photos and examples of how we utilize this resource in our class…plus a chance to win a copy for your class, if you would like!
What resources do you like to use for spelling in your class?

• Kelly T. April 29, 2013 at 10:36 pm

So awesome!! This is such a great resource!

• Diane R April 29, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I saw that this was one of your new products today. Can't wait to read more about it!

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• Teachntex April 29, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I've been using the Reading Olympians program for the last month. Your dictionary would work well with their program. It is going on my wishlist.

Kristin
    Teachntex

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts April 30, 2013 at 12:44 am

Sigh… I am *so* in love with this product!! I definitely plan on using this with my kiddos in 3rd who need more challenging words. Their parents will love it, too, and it looks so kid (and teacher!) friendly!! Cannot thank you enough 🙂 🙂 You are awesome!!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Brandee Green April 30, 2013 at 1:14 am

This looks like a great product! I'll be checking it out for sure! 🙂
    Creating Lifelong Learners

• jenbrett April 30, 2013 at 1:26 am

I am sending this to the upper grades in our school! Too much for first but SO awesome! YOU are a super star!

• luckeyfrog April 30, 2013 at 1:32 am

I'm in love.

Such a smart product- definitely one I'll be looking at this summer! The teacher word lists would be such a lifesaver.

Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron April 30, 2013 at 10:09 am

oh my! That looks amazing!! And totally brilliant!! you always rock my socks!
    Jen
    The Teacher’s Cauldron

• Katie and Steve April 30, 2013 at 7:32 pm

This is awesome! I SO wish you taught K-1!

Katie

• The Wild Rumpus April 30, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I LOVE this–thank you! My team was just talking about how we want to revise word work for next year.

• Jenn Bates May 1, 2013 at 4:11 am

WOW, that's all I can say…just WOW! Makes me wish I was an upper grade teacher again!
    Jenn
    Finally in First

• annzito May 1, 2013 at 9:13 pm

This looks fabulous!! I use a program called Caesar's English, where we learn Latin roots as well as common words we use that also come from Latin (like melancholy and countenance). I have been using it for 7 years, and LOVE IT!! But, this resource looks amazing, and I am going to share it with my teammates who are looking for a different way to teach their kiddos. THANKS!!

• julie_ann_ May 2, 2013 at 2:10 am

This looks so great!
    Julie
    julie_ann_@hotmail.com

• Ms.M May 2, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Can I just admit that every time I read your posts it makes me want to go back to the big kids. LOL You are fab. 🙂
    Mels

• Elizabeth May 3, 2013 at 12:45 am

So, so, so impressed with all of your hard work on this item!!!

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Lauren May 5, 2013 at 12:47 am

I found your blog because I just found out I'm jumping from 2nd grade to 5th! Crazy! But I am really excited about it 🙂 My latest post is about my move, so if you get a chance and don't mind, would you please share some tips?? I would love to know where to being!

• Becca Morris May 5, 2013 at 2:53 am

Such an important skill. Thank you for creating this wonderful resource!

✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

• Maine 💙 #teachersummer #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Packing for the beach! I’m trying to stuff a few more books into my suitcase if I can...have you read any of these yet? #teachersonbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have magnetic whiteboards in your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I LOVE mine...I only wish all of my walls could be filled with magnetic whiteboards! 😂 This year, I started using a little magnetic tool to save lots of time...and to avoid repeating information over and over.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made these little due date magnets and they help in two ways. They hold extra assignments, forms, and work samples.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They display the due date! Swipe to see some pics from our class. These little magnets kept me MUCH more organized this year...and they kept my fourth graders in the know!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They are the perfect (easy) summer project for a rainy day...that’s actually what I’m doing today! 🌧 If you would like to see more, the link to this resource is in my profile (http://bit.ly/duedatemagnets)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • So I managed to avoid shoving things into random places...mostly 😂 #classroomorganization #kindof #randompaperplates #andnapkins #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • All packed up and ready for summer!! 😅 Best wishes to my friends still wrapping up their school years! #summertime #canbarelymove #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th
    • Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram