Awesome (& Affordable) Seating!

April 10, 2013

Awesome (& Affordable) Seating!

April 10, 2013

I love these little seats so much, I feel I should write this post as poetry. Perhaps an ode to a stool?? Don’t worry, I will spare you!

But I do just love these little chairs. And my 5th graders love them even more!

I first learned about them from my little friend. Actually, she’s teeny. As in the one and only…

A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Kristin blogged how much her first graders loved the stools here: Listening Center Stools. I wrote to her to ask a bit more…could my 5th graders sit on them comfortably? Would they be too short for them?

Like the true friend she is, she offered all the help she could give. She did some intensive calculations, including testing one out herself…as she said she is the size of many 5th graders in her school.

Turns out she was right…they are a great size for 5th graders!

So then I waited a couple of months before blogging about them, just to be sure. But they are still working really well for my class, so I had to share!

Why are they so awesome?
  • They’re pretty. (this is the most important part and therefore must be listed first)
  • They’re affordable. They are $8.88 right now, as a fact. There is a shipping cost too, but still a lot less expensive than the seating I normally look at.
  • They’re strong. Much stronger than they look! They can hold up to 330 pounds.
  • They weigh practically nothing.

This is really my other favorite part (besides the prettiness factor) because my students sit at tables and we work in many different groups throughout the week. It is SO much easier to move these little stools to a new group.

And to put them away at night…

• They’re non-obtrusive.
I know this probably sounds weird, but just I love that you can’t really see them when the kids push them in under the tables when we leave. It really reduces the visual clutter!
And that is it…my ode to my stools. Written in prose so as not to annoy you after a long day of work.
I wasn’t asked to review these, just bought them on my own. If you’d like to take a peek at them, they are at School Outfitters (they come in a pack of 5): Plastic Stack Stool
Do you have any seating favorites in your class? Thanks for visiting!

• Kristin April 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

🙂 I am so happy you love them as much as me!!!! 🙂

• Dana April 11, 2013 at 12:00 am

I have a couple stools in my classroom at my centers. But sadly they are falling apart. They are obviously not as good as these babies. I am going to have to check them out because I too like how they are clutter free. Hey we need all the space we can get right!?

Polka Dots, Checks and Stripes

• Karen King April 11, 2013 at 12:57 am

I have stool almost like that but I got them at IKEA and my 5th graders LOVE them. They were only $5.99 each. They have black, white, and one more color (but I can't think of it now).

• icesk8abc April 11, 2013 at 1:23 am

Now that the two of you have these, I am drooling over them even more. I want these for next year. I have tables also and I like the idea of them being easy to move around. I have 3rd graders and I am glad to know they will work.

Thank you for the review!

• Amber April 11, 2013 at 2:05 am

Just bought 6 of these in an awesome teal blue at Ikea this weekend!

• Second-grade-alicious April 11, 2013 at 3:00 am

These are awesome and I wish I could buy them for my class but we get harped on if we try to get rid of the old furniture to make way for new. So sadly it is the ugly blue plastic seating for my room.

• Nicole J April 11, 2013 at 3:23 am

You are obsessed with those stools, but I am obsessed with your chevron-print rainbow rug!! I MUST HAVE IT! Where did you get it??

Nicole
    Teaching's a Hoot

• IrisGoddess May 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I love the stools but I'm obsessed with that rug as well! Where did you get it??? How much? It's so awesome!

• Exploring Third Grade April 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I am buying right now! Can't wait to use them in my new classroom!!!

Thank you so much for the tip!

🙂 Carmen
    Exploring Third Grade!

• Elizabeth April 11, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Looks like I will be looking into some new stools 🙂 The cube storage boxes I bought last summer get in the way and these can be stacked and put in the corner at the end of the day. Win, win 🙂 Thanks for sharing, Kristen 🙂

• Heather April 12, 2013 at 1:12 am

I ordered a set of 5 after I read about them from The Teeny Tiny Teacher and we love them! They are so light, my 2nd graders can move them anywhere in our classroom. LOVE them!

✞Heather
    Swinging Through Second Grade
    hdawntn@hotmail.com

• Emily April 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Love my Ikea stools. Just like previous people stated, they are $5.99 at Ikea. I got orange and black two years ago (our school colors) but they have the loveliest teal right now. They hold up beautifully. =)

Emily @ Second Grade Silliness

• ThinkWonder Teach April 14, 2013 at 2:05 am

Oh! I have never thought about stools but I love this simple alternative.

Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

• Unknown April 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I love the stools! I will have to look into them! I am going to be teaching 5th grade this year! 🙂 Also, where did you get your adorable chevron rug??? I LOVE IT!!!

• Amber Unger April 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I agree – stools like yours have many benefits! I have a pink one that I picked up on sale at JoAnn Fabrics, and I wish I had bought more. I have gone back to snag more, but they haven't carried them since…bummer! I searched for a picture of mine, but I was only able to see it in the 25th (yes, the 25th, sorry) picture in this post:

• Marlana April 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm

How cute! I just found them in all different colors, too. I am thinking about getting them for our library next year. Do you think they could withstand that much use?

Blessings,
    Marlana
    Lil' Country Kindergarten

• Ms.M April 20, 2013 at 5:51 am

OMG! I have to tell you that I don't have these stools but some other older ones that look very similar to these. THEY ARE MY FAVORITE. I use them at my guided reading/ small group table. My fave part is that they tuck under my table to stack easily!

However, mine are old now and pretty abused. Don't get me wrong they are holding up well, but they don't match and yours are MUCH cuter. Sooooo I think I will copy you and switch!

Thanks for the inspiration lv.
    Mels

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram