A Touch of Spring with (Fake) Flowers

April 24, 2013

A Touch of Spring with (Fake) Flowers

April 24, 2013
Why fake, you might ask? Because I’ve tried the real ones. And by tried I mean kept them alive for about a week and then…well, it was very sad because they were really pretty.
Here’s a picture of my then live flowers from back in September…
Ooo, and another one I just found…
(see how the ones in the back are starting to lean? it was the beginning of their demise)
After I lost two sets of the Gerbera daisies, I decided that was it for flowers in the classroom for me. I couldn’t bear it anymore (Gerbera’s are my favorite!).
Anyhow, now that it’s finally springy and sunshiny and all, I’ve been wanting some flowers for our classroom again. Don’t worry, I’ve learned my lesson and decided to play it safe…

…with fake flowers!
I love how full and bright they are! And they really make our doorway more welcoming.
Do you keep plants in your classroom? Real ones or fake?
I keep Atlantic salmon too, but I promise you they are safe in their tank. 🙂

• Second-grade-alicious April 24, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Atlantic Salmon! Nice!

I don't have any flowers but you've inspired me to make some fake sets to spruce things up.

• Brandee Green April 25, 2013 at 12:08 am

I also have fake flowers in my classroom! LOL! I guess I'm not alone. 🙂
    Creating Lifelong Learners

• 4321Teach April 25, 2013 at 12:35 am

I have plants near my window. One plant flowers all summer and then goes dormant until April,so it 'looks dead' most of the winter. The other plant is leafy. It has shockingly tripled in size this year. If you want something really you have to get something hearty. I had a gerber daisy die on me last year!

EmilyK

• Elizabeth April 25, 2013 at 12:45 am

Pretty, Kristen!!! The colors brighten up everything:) I kill all things living. Oops, let me rephrase…I kill all plants. So, fake ones might be a great idea for me, too!

Happy Spring!!!

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Katy April 25, 2013 at 1:25 am

I'm right there with you! Fake red daisies in the classroom, real Chinook salmon in the tank. 🙂

Parents give me plants as gifts sometimes, which is very kind and thoughtful. I feel bad though, because to me it is like I've been given a chore: make sure you work hard to keep this thing alive! But it doesn't matter how hard I try, I can nurture learners but not plants! Oy vey. At least the salmon are doing well! Ours are being released the week of May 5th. 🙂

• Mrs Cupcake April 25, 2013 at 1:32 am

I am terrible with flowers! Even at home :/ Fake sound like a great idea!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Miss Parker April 25, 2013 at 1:33 am

I sometimes go to the grocery store and buy some of those cheaper, but beautiful, $6.99 bouquets for my classroom. I also have a very large spider plantthat has what seems like millions of babies on it. It was "gifted (aka left for me) from the teacher who retired and was in my room before me. We are going to root the babies this week and use them for Mother's Day gifts.
    I've heard that you should have 12 plants in an average sized classroom to help keep the air clean.

• Teachntex April 25, 2013 at 1:34 am

My thumbs are not green. My plants are fake.

At the beginning of the year PTO asks us to fill out a favorites file. I write "no flowers, please" on mine. Actually, I write "no coffee", too.

Kristin
    Teachntex

• Burns1stGradeBunch April 25, 2013 at 3:58 am

I LOVE it! I think I'll be fake flower shopping this weekend, my class could use some freshening up!
    Burns1stGradeBunch.blogspot.com

• Zada Zone April 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

Your flowers look beautiful.
    I have fake flowers on my desk. I house them in a yellow bucket (similar to yours) however, my flowers are all attached to pencils. So, my students borrow my pencils and I always know where my pencils are.

• Lorena April 25, 2013 at 12:51 pm

The flowers are great! I tried plants but I don't have green thumb. Wonderful post! I’m having a giveaway please stop by http://littlelearnersinc.blogspot.com/2013/04/science-writing-and-art-oh-my-and.html

• Everyone deServes to Learn April 25, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I had daisies at the beginning of the year and promptly killed them, even though I watered them every day. I think I will just make a wreath for the outside of my door after testing is over that I can re-use next spring.

-Maria

• Jamie (2nd Grade Stuff) April 26, 2013 at 12:15 am

Love the fake flowers! I am soooo gonna steal, I mean borrow, your idea for my classroom! 😉

Jamie at 2nd Grade Stuff

• Amber Unger April 26, 2013 at 1:58 am

I am without a "green thumb" as well. When I was a homeroom teacher, we had beta fish and those mini frogs. We had cactus like plants that stuck around longer, but were not pretty. I usually bought bouquets of flowers only for open house and conferences.

• YoungTeacherLove April 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I have TONS of fake flowers in my room! They give my room such a burst of energy, and I got them from the dollar store! I could have never kept up with real ones! Your room looks great!

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• Fluttering Through First Grade April 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm

These are so pretty and would be much harder for me to kill! The thumbs are black over here! I do have to laugh when people "plant" them in their yards and leave them in after they've totally faded. Ummm you're not fooling anyone!

~Christy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

• Barbara Leyne April 27, 2013 at 4:52 am

Very pretty. I may have to fake it, too:)
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• Rachel Lamb April 28, 2013 at 3:01 am

well those fake ones look pretty good! I have one live plant left. Its a "money tree" and it's pretty hardy. I have two fake trees, too. Rachel

• Ms.M April 28, 2013 at 5:51 am

I don't but only cause I am not a big plant person. 🙂
    Melissa

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram