Get the news right in your inbox!

A Touch of Spring with (Fake) Flowers

April 24, 2013 19 Comments

A Touch of Spring with (Fake) Flowers

April 24, 2013 19 Comments
Why fake, you might ask? Because I’ve tried the real ones. And by tried I mean kept them alive for about a week and then…well, it was very sad because they were really pretty.
Here’s a picture of my then live flowers from back in September…
Ooo, and another one I just found…
(see how the ones in the back are starting to lean? it was the beginning of their demise)
After I lost two sets of the Gerbera daisies, I decided that was it for flowers in the classroom for me. I couldn’t bear it anymore (Gerbera’s are my favorite!).
Anyhow, now that it’s finally springy and sunshiny and all, I’ve been wanting some flowers for our classroom again. Don’t worry, I’ve learned my lesson and decided to play it safe…

…with fake flowers!
I love how full and bright they are! And they really make our doorway more welcoming.
Do you keep plants in your classroom? Real ones or fake?
I keep Atlantic salmon too, but I promise you they are safe in their tank. 🙂
ladybugsteacherfiles

All posts

• Second-grade-alicious April 24, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Atlantic Salmon! Nice!

I don't have any flowers but you've inspired me to make some fake sets to spruce things up.

• Brandee Green April 25, 2013 at 12:08 am

I also have fake flowers in my classroom! LOL! I guess I'm not alone. 🙂
    Creating Lifelong Learners

• 4321Teach April 25, 2013 at 12:35 am

I have plants near my window. One plant flowers all summer and then goes dormant until April,so it 'looks dead' most of the winter. The other plant is leafy. It has shockingly tripled in size this year. If you want something really you have to get something hearty. I had a gerber daisy die on me last year!

EmilyK

• Elizabeth April 25, 2013 at 12:45 am

Pretty, Kristen!!! The colors brighten up everything:) I kill all things living. Oops, let me rephrase…I kill all plants. So, fake ones might be a great idea for me, too!

Happy Spring!!!

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Katy April 25, 2013 at 1:25 am

I'm right there with you! Fake red daisies in the classroom, real Chinook salmon in the tank. 🙂

Parents give me plants as gifts sometimes, which is very kind and thoughtful. I feel bad though, because to me it is like I've been given a chore: make sure you work hard to keep this thing alive! But it doesn't matter how hard I try, I can nurture learners but not plants! Oy vey. At least the salmon are doing well! Ours are being released the week of May 5th. 🙂

• Mrs Cupcake April 25, 2013 at 1:32 am

I am terrible with flowers! Even at home :/ Fake sound like a great idea!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Miss Parker April 25, 2013 at 1:33 am

I sometimes go to the grocery store and buy some of those cheaper, but beautiful, $6.99 bouquets for my classroom. I also have a very large spider plantthat has what seems like millions of babies on it. It was "gifted (aka left for me) from the teacher who retired and was in my room before me. We are going to root the babies this week and use them for Mother's Day gifts.
    I've heard that you should have 12 plants in an average sized classroom to help keep the air clean.

• Teachntex April 25, 2013 at 1:34 am

My thumbs are not green. My plants are fake.

At the beginning of the year PTO asks us to fill out a favorites file. I write "no flowers, please" on mine. Actually, I write "no coffee", too.

Kristin
    Teachntex

• Burns1stGradeBunch April 25, 2013 at 3:58 am

I LOVE it! I think I'll be fake flower shopping this weekend, my class could use some freshening up!
    Burns1stGradeBunch.blogspot.com

• Zada Zone April 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

Your flowers look beautiful.
    I have fake flowers on my desk. I house them in a yellow bucket (similar to yours) however, my flowers are all attached to pencils. So, my students borrow my pencils and I always know where my pencils are.

• Lorena April 25, 2013 at 12:51 pm

The flowers are great! I tried plants but I don't have green thumb. Wonderful post! I’m having a giveaway please stop by http://littlelearnersinc.blogspot.com/2013/04/science-writing-and-art-oh-my-and.html

• Everyone deServes to Learn April 25, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I had daisies at the beginning of the year and promptly killed them, even though I watered them every day. I think I will just make a wreath for the outside of my door after testing is over that I can re-use next spring.

-Maria

• Jamie (2nd Grade Stuff) April 26, 2013 at 12:15 am

Love the fake flowers! I am soooo gonna steal, I mean borrow, your idea for my classroom! 😉

Jamie at 2nd Grade Stuff

• Amber Unger April 26, 2013 at 1:58 am

I am without a "green thumb" as well. When I was a homeroom teacher, we had beta fish and those mini frogs. We had cactus like plants that stuck around longer, but were not pretty. I usually bought bouquets of flowers only for open house and conferences.

• YoungTeacherLove April 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I have TONS of fake flowers in my room! They give my room such a burst of energy, and I got them from the dollar store! I could have never kept up with real ones! Your room looks great!

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• Fluttering Through First Grade April 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm

These are so pretty and would be much harder for me to kill! The thumbs are black over here! I do have to laugh when people "plant" them in their yards and leave them in after they've totally faded. Ummm you're not fooling anyone!

~Christy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

• Barbara Leyne April 27, 2013 at 4:52 am

Very pretty. I may have to fake it, too:)
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• Rachel Lamb April 28, 2013 at 3:01 am

well those fake ones look pretty good! I have one live plant left. Its a "money tree" and it's pretty hardy. I have two fake trees, too. Rachel

• Ms.M April 28, 2013 at 5:51 am

I don't but only cause I am not a big plant person. 🙂
    Melissa

About Me

Welcome to Ladybug's Teacher Files! I started this blog in 2010 as a way to share resources and collaborate with teachers. I hope you will find something that can be of help in your classroom! -Kristen

• Anyone else using iReady this year?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I’m looking to add a little more accountability/motivation for my students, so this week we are going to start tracking our usage. My fourth graders will store their sheets in their binders so their data is kept private, then I’ll send it home in our weekly folders so parents can see progress as well.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
What do you do for iReady accountability? I would love to hear more ideas!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Please click the link in my profile if you’d like a copy of this sheet for your class (http://bit.ly/ireadysheet).
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    • This closet!!! It has NEVER been organized in all my years in this classroom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Honestly, I would pile things in there and slam the door fast, in hopes the pile wouldn’t collapse 😂
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
So I FINALLY got some shelving and sorted everything into bins...and I am in heaven.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Now if only all bins were the same color blue...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#imjoking #actuallyimnot #typeateacher #kindoforganized #kindofnot #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456
    • Need a last-minute valentines gift for your class?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Or is it just me who is frantically doing this now? 😂
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
These are some editable coupons I shared years ago on my blog that are perfect for those no-cost presents. I’ve been saving our scholastic points, so everyone is getting a coupon to choose a book for our classroom library tomorrow. 📖❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Please click the link in my profile if you would like a copy! I hope some of you can use them!! (http://bit.ly/EditableValentinesCoupons)
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lastminute #howisitmidfebruary #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Binders, folders, or notebooks?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Over the years I’ve become a binders kind of girl...I tried to go with notebooks again this fall and it wasn’t the same. There’s just something about having everything all in one place.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
So in January, I switched back to binders and I’m so glad I did. I use prenumbered tabs which saves A TON of time in setting them up (see the last pic). I try to number the handouts in the bottom corner to match the tab number it belongs in (when I remember to 😉) but really it’s a great exercise in following directions as papers are handed out if I don’t remember to number them.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My fourth graders LOVE their binders...my students from last year mention them when they come back to visit (it was actually thanks to them I got binders again, since they enjoyed them so much). Next fall, it’ll be binders from the start for us!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Do you like binders, folders, or notebooks? Or a combination?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I received a few questions on how to get the day count on @planbookcom, so I wanted to share it here (it’s super quick!).
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you go into the Display settings, you will find a drop down menu under “Date Styling”.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click the check box next to “show school day counter” and you should be all set!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I have a couple of blog posts about planbook and I’m working in some updated ones to share soon...anything in particular you’d like to see more about?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#teacherplanner #classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know you can add little check boxes to Google Sheets? ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I’m REALLY trying to get more ahead in my lesson planning so I can have my weekends free...and this little check box tool is helping with just that!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I set up a Sheets doc with each subject area I need to plan for. In the second column, I added the check boxes (you can find them under Insert).
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
It’s a really nice feature for those little checklists you want to reuse each week! Now back to lesson planning 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #lessonplanning #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram