Maximizing Technology with Headphone Splitters

March 2, 2013

Maximizing Technology with Headphone Splitters

March 2, 2013
Hey everyone! I am so, so excited about a new tech tool I just bought! (Ok I actually bought three, but you’ll see why in a moment). I just know it’s going to make a HUGE difference in my class…so naturally I had to share my find with you!

To backtrack a bit…

It all started with this wonderful blog post I read on Laura Candler’s Corkboard Connections: The Power of Audiobooks. Laura describes all of the benefits of audiobooks, even for older students in 5th grade (you have to read this post, she has a ton of fascinating and helpful information on this topic). I was excited to read this because I really feel the same about the important of audiobooks for fluency and comprehension…not just for my newcomer EL 5th graders, but for my mainstream students as well.

In this article, Laura also mentions how she hooks up multiple headphones using adapters, so several of her students may enjoy the audiobook via one source.

Adapters?!?

Did such a thing exist?? (I mean, beyond those big, boxy old-school devices that don’t plug into iPods and computers)?

I flew to Amazon and, sure enough, there it was. A Belkin Rockstar Multi Headphone Splitter!!

My head was spinning…this would change everything! We could take those little bits and pieces of technology we have and really maximize them…to give all of my students access to the tools more often.

Which means more of my 5th graders can use these together, instead of waiting for their one turn during the week…

AND they can use my iPad as well…

(we tried this out last week before our winter break…you can fit about three 5th grade students comfortably around the iPad).
I’m smiling now as I write this, at the thought of all that technology being utilized to its fullest potential!!
I have a bunch of ideas for these little tools and I promise to come back and share all about them very soon (we head back from winter break this week and I’m looking forward to getting them all set up).
Have you used headphone splitters like this? Do you have another tool you like to use, to help maximize the tech in your class?

• LaSchu March 2, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I have headphone splitters for my computers and listening centers. I absolutely love them!
    Laura
    Enchanting Elementary

• Deb Thomas March 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I just added this Belkin Splitter to my wishlist on Amazon the other day. Guess I am going to have to take it out of my wishlist and purchase it.
    Deb at Fabulously First

• YoungTeacherLove March 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Oh my goodness I NEED these! I have seen these before, I don't know why I haven't thought about purchasing them for my room! Between audiobooks, KHAN, Brainpop, etc. we use headphones in my room a TON. My credit card is going to thank you today! 😉

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• Exploring Third Grade March 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm

LOVE them! Use them everyday!! 🙂 Don't miss the mess of the "old" listening centers at all! 🙂 It is so easy and the kids know how to use IPODS better than I do! 🙂

• Courtney March 2, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I have one too but I haven't used it yet. I think the idea is so genius! I didn't think about using it with the iPad. Have a good weekend Kristen!

Swimming into Second

• Rae March 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I just ordered one from amazon last week, and am waiting for it (and 2 mp3 players) to arrive! I cannot wait 🙂

Rae
    Mindful Rambles

• Jane March 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I won one of these from the blogger at Teach~Play~Smile last summer, and my students use it everyday on my one iPad. It's great! A much needed supply for effective use of new technology in the classroom!

Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

• Nicki March 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm

This is awesome. I've never seen one like this…I'm definitely going to have to find one of these. This would be wonderful for my kinders to use the ipad and other items in my classroom.

Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

• Laurie March 2, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I have one for my classroom Ipads!! Do your kiddos listen to books on the Ipad? If so, what site are you using?

Laurie
    First Grade Lyons' Den

• Runde's Room March 2, 2013 at 8:33 pm

LOVE it! Can't wait to see what other ideas you'll have for us. And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to visit Amazon.

• Courtney March 2, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Yes I have those in my classroom and they are awesome. I couldn't stand my kiddos just waiting around for when a classmate finished. Whoever invented those needs a high five! 🙂

-Courtney
    2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

• Mrs Poultney March 2, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I had the Belkin splitters a few years ago and a word of caution, be careful of the cord being bent by the littles, both of mine stopped working after about 12 months of use. I got ones that were static to plug in to the computer. So it looks more like a trunk with branches coming off for the headphones to plug in to if that makes sense. I have four of these and they have lasted 2 yrs so far without any complaints. They are great for having groups of students listening instead of just the one. Enjoy your new toy!
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

• Grade ONEderful March 3, 2013 at 1:17 am

This looks great. Thanks for the heads-up, Kristen!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• Paula Shelton March 3, 2013 at 2:19 am

I have seen these in the stores and never knew what they were. I am so excited now! I will be going to the store tomorrow to pick up two for my classroom to use with the iPads we have. My headstart students are going to love them. Thank you so much for sharing this.

• Stefanie Galvin March 3, 2013 at 8:39 am

I have 3 headphone splitters in my classroom (and have for the last 2 years) and they are awesome! So great for little (and occasionally impatient) kiddos!

Stef
    Miss Galvin Learns

• Elizabeth March 3, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I have the exact same adapter in my room that I used a lot last year! Only teaching math this year has kept this guy put away….but my brain is churning now thinking of ways I can use it in math!!!

• Jennifer MacMurray :) March 3, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I've been using this for the munchkins at the ipad and it is truly fantastic! I also found a $7 2 way splitter at Staples and put one at each desktop computer station. Now during center rotations there are 10 kids interacting with technology! Super good times! 🙂

• Ms.M March 4, 2013 at 2:40 am

Can I tell you that I have been WANTING that splitter so badly for YEARS now. Every time I go order it they are sold out. LOL So I always end up with a two headphone splitter but I REALLY want this one. LOL
    Melissa

• Laura Candler March 4, 2013 at 3:26 am

I loved your blog post! Thanks for mentioning my Power of Audio book post and improving on my system of using the headphone splitters. Mine were not nearly as good at these. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words here!

• Angie March 4, 2013 at 9:54 pm

This is great! I just got 5 iPads for my 29 first graders, and this will definitely allow more of them to use the technology.

Angie
    The First Grade Scoop
    I'm having a 100 follower giveaway! Stop by for some goodies!

• Mary March 5, 2013 at 2:42 am

I have 4 of these myself.
    They work GREAT with computers, iPads, iPods, all of it, unlike the cheaper versions that don't! Plus, it works with every iPad case I have found.

Mary
    Sharing Kindergarten

• Lori March 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Love this handy little tool! I originally bought one for a car ride for my own 3 kiddos to be able to watch a movie & I wouldn't have to listen to it the entire drive! But it quickly found it's way into my classroom & it has been very useful!

• Molly March 8, 2013 at 1:31 am

I don't have these for my class, but I definitely need them!!! I agree, I think that audiobooks are important for our bigger kids as well, and with these I'll be able to get a lot more of it in!! Thanks so much for sharing, Kristen!!

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram