Gradebook App Love! (iDoceo)

March 19, 2013

Gradebook App Love! (iDoceo)

March 19, 2013

Well, I must confess that I am very cheap when it comes to apps…as in I never really buy them if they cost. I know they’re not exactly expensive, but a girl’s got to curb the spending somewhere, right? (fonts and clipart don’t count!)

But when I went on a search for a great gradebook app and read about iDoceo, I decided to make the leap and bought my first app!
And I’m so glad I did.
This little app is EXACTLY what I was looking for and then some! Naturally, I couldn’t wait to share what I’ve learned with my good friends–all of you!

(I wasn’t asked to review this, just wanted to share about it on my own because it is excellent!)
I’m still new to this app and there are tons of features I need to try out…so I’m nowhere near an expert on it. But I did want to share an overview of some incredible features iDoceo offers.
Quick Setup
To get your planbook going, all you need to do is:
  1. Create a class name (mine is “sample class” here, with names of my friends and family).
  2. Add your student names.
  3. Create tabs for each subject (the class list remains throughout once entered initially).
You can color code the subject tabs and move them with ease. The whole setup only took me a few minutes.
Color Coding Galore
You can color code anything and everything you’d like! All columns could have a specific color, test columns could be highlighted…there are tons of possibilities.
Variety of Grading Choices

iDoceo is set up to allow you to grade however you would like. You can enter numerical grades (as shown above), letter grades, and there are tons of icons as well…
(I like to have a tab just to check off completed homework first thing in the morning).
You can also use a mix of grades and icons, if you would like to use a combination…
I use this feature to star any students who still need to take a test.

You can even just use color codes, without a grade or icon if you would like…

to provide a quick, at-a-glance overview of students who still need to work on certain concepts…
Easy Averaging
Ok, this next part made me hug my iPad. Literally. You can average any and all grades, weighted in any fashion you would like. !!!
A HUGE time-saver!
All you have to do is create a new column and designate it as a Calculation.
Choose how you would like it to be graded (I use generic numeric grades to tally my assessments).
Click on all the columns you would like to be averaged…
And you have instant averages!
This also works for another grading scale my district uses (1 to 4)…
Annotations and Record Keeping

As with the other features, there are tons of choices to keep track of individual students’ progress. You can select assignments and assessments to put on each students’ profile (as shown above).

You can type up notes on a particular assignment…

You can also attach work samples, audio, photographs, and more…

So, as I mentioned above, there are many other incredible features that come with this app and I am still learning about them.
And I will say there is a bit of a learning curve to this and it did take me some time to figure out a few parts. However, iDoceo offers customer support and tutorials on their website iDoceo.net and this is a huge help.
Have you used this app before? Do you keep your grades digitally? I must say, I’m so excited to be done with pencil and paper record-keeping. 🙂

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts March 19, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Ohmagoodness- this is amazing!! You had me at color-coding and icons 😉 😉

Thanks for such a great recommendation- I will definitely be checking this out ASAP!! Using my iPad may actually get me excited about grading 🙂

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Kristen March 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Oh I owe YOU a big thank you for everything you shared the other day Stephanie!

And, oddly enough, it does actually make me want to grade everything!!

• Elizabeth March 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

What a great app! I love how versatile it can be. The color coding did it for me. That and the fact that you can add anecdotal records and notes sold me on this app.

I see an "Elizabeth" 🙂 I like her average, too!

Thanks for giving us the low-down.

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

• Kristen March 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Those Elizabeths are always over-achievers 😉

• Elizabeth March 25, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Haha…you're right 😉

• Lita Lita March 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

WOW! I am starting to need an ipad in my classroom. 😉

• Kristen March 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Hey Lita! Ya, I wasn't sure how much I would use it at first and I was nervous about spending the money but my iPad has helped me manage so many aspects of my teaching!! I'm giving you excuses to get one! 🙂

• Ashley Hughes March 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Love, love, love!!! I've been trying to find a good app like this. Thanks for the great review! 🙂

• Kristen March 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Ashley!! 🙂

• Julie Pieprzyk March 19, 2013 at 7:41 pm

This was a wonderful review!!! It is not even that much money. Do you know if you are able to print out "progress reports" to send home??

Thanks so much for making this so thorough and pretty!!

Julie
    My Journey to 5th Grade

• Kristen March 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm

oh thank you Julie, what a nice thing to say! I know they can be emailed to parents and I just read that they are working on an individual report format. That would be great, wouldn't it? Thanks again! 🙂

• Exploring Third Grade March 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Wow THIS IS AMAZING! Can't wait to go and download it! Excited to start using it! 🙂

• Kristen March 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm

thanks Carmen, I'm glad it could be of help! I'm still smiling over it as I organize for our final trimester!!

• Runde's Room March 19, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Hmmmmm … One guess what I'm going to check out right now … 😉

• Jess March 19, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Pretty cool! Your district doesn't provide you with online grading already? We have a program called ProgressBook where we input all attendance,grades, progress reports, and report cards. I don't really love the program but the district requires we use it. This looks way easier to use and more organized! Love how it is colored coded and how you can use it on your iPad to check homework!
    Rambling About Reading

• Kristen March 19, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Hey Jess! No we don't have that, it's been pencil and paper for me 'til now 🙂

• Diana Craun March 19, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Do you use an online program through your district to report your grades such as progressbook? Just curious if you were going to do both.

• Kristen March 19, 2013 at 11:17 pm

We enter our grades digitally for report cards, but we don't currently have a system to track our grades. I don't think I would do both otherwise. This is way better for me 'cause until I found this I was recording on paper.

• Sabrina Hamilton March 20, 2013 at 12:05 am

I have searched the app store and it says none found. Is it called something else?

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Hi Sabrina, there's a link at the beginning of the blog post that should take you right to it in the store 🙂

• Sydney Cohn March 20, 2013 at 12:31 am

We too have electronic grading and we can pull up reports through it. If I didn't have it, I would SO use this. I do love the homework feature. I will have to look into if it can be synced.
    Thanks for sharing, Kristen.

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hi Sydney! Thanks for stopping by and reading 🙂

• The Wild Rumpus March 20, 2013 at 9:41 am

I LOVE this–thank you for sharing. I have to admit buying more apps than I end up using. It's my iPad learning curve–live and learn. I'm going to have to check this out, and it's perfect timing as I'm doing conferences this week and we're on to our new marking period. I'm glad you're enjoying your iPad 🙂

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Hey Heather…I LOVE my iPad!! I mean I knew I would like it, but I didn't know how much it would change my teaching life! 🙂

• MicZ March 20, 2013 at 11:42 pm

This is really great! Have you found a planbook that you happen to use on the ipad? That's a big one that my teammate and I just can't seem to find one that we really like. Thanks for the info today!

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hi! I haven't yet, though I've been asking around and looking. If I ever do, I will be sure to share it here 🙂

• jamie Hoisman March 21, 2013 at 2:10 am

OMG!! This is a most awesome looking app!! I bow down to you for finding it and sharing it!! I'm SO going to buy it NOW!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kristen!

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hey Jamie, thanks! I really do love it!! I have all of my test and quiz columns set up for trimester 3 right now–I'm so excited!

• Raye March 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Off to spend some $… 🙂

We have been piloting PowerSchool (only about 8 of our schools are on the pilot) but it's buggy right now. This app looks so amazing! I'm going to have to give it a try!

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for stopping by Raye! I will have to look into PowerSchool, I haven't heard about it before.

🙂

• Janie Fahey March 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

At our school we use Edmodo, which is a free resource for your computer and ipad, phone, etc. It has a gradebook. We also set it up so the kids have access. They can check their grade/progress for each subject and they have access to folders we set up for links, docs, etc. It's a great resource – and FREE!

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Thanks Janie, I will check it out now! 🙂

• Sarah Lane March 22, 2013 at 12:43 am

This app is "APP"solutly fantastic! I e-mailed the link to your post to our technology instructional coach and our entire admin team. Our K-2 is 1:1 with iPads and the rest of the school will be after state testing! Thank you so much for such a detailed review!

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:41 pm

oh cool Sarah!! I'm so happy it could be of help 🙂

• Collaboration Cuties March 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I am responding very late. Sorry!

This looks so great!

Our district does grades online- parents can see each grade entered. yay. :O/
    Then our report cards are run from what we entered. It can be good that parents are kept up to speed but not so much when they want grades entered daily (which isn't going to happen).

I like this idea for tracking homework and stuff though! As always, thanks for sharing!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

• Kristen March 24, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Thanks Amanda! And please don't apologize! I am perpetually behind so I understand and you are excellent about commenting!!! 🙂

• Anne Smock March 25, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I downloaded this about a month ago, then my iPad was stolen. When I received my new one, I reloaded and started inputting information. We have an online grading system too, but I LOVE this app! It allows me to enter homework grades and immediately send emails to parents if the student did not complete their assignment. I can then later enter grades online for the week, versus individually. I usually give 5 points for homework completed on-time, 3 points if partially completed, and 0 points if nothing was completed. The immediate feedback helps me stay on-top of students without added work after school or during prep. I usually type one message, copy it, then I can paste into assignment notes for other students with little time/effort. I learned some things from your post! Thank you!

• The Wild Rumpus March 26, 2013 at 10:16 am

ok–I bought this last night and blame you for the fact that I went to bed so late getting it set up 😉 I can't wait to try it. What sold me over other similar apps is of course your recommendation, but also the fact that you can annotate with photos, video and audio. I've been doing that on Evernote, but it's becoming a hot mess. I love that I can make a separate class for a book club, then record their conversation instead of scribing it, then make plans for them based on that. I also love that I can take a quick picture of a student's work if I want to read it later, vs. carrying their notebook home. Love, love. Oh, and the seating chart? So cool. When I want to move their desks I have a hard time visualizing, and this can really help. Thank you again!

• Heidi Sproul March 26, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I love love love this app!!! I found it a few days ago and I've been playing around with it.

I also love my ipad mini! I've had it for a couple weeks and I agree, I don't know how I ever taught with out it.

• isewell March 29, 2013 at 4:06 pm

If there were ever a reason to buy an iPad – this is it! After reading your blog post, I researched this app. It looks great and the posts above mine seem to be more reasons to buy that iPad and the Doceo app. Thanks for reporting on this!

• Anonymous March 29, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Congratulations on a massive milestone.

• Mel July 1, 2013 at 5:49 am

Wow! What a great resource! I have been using LearnBoost which is an online gradebook and I really enjoyed it, though I did have to do some modifying because my school grades on a scale of 1-4, not letter grades. I had to play around with it, but it was pretty successful. I'm excited to check out this app though!

Mel

Teaching with Ms. Mel

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram