Character Traits Graphic Organizer

March 10, 2013

Character Traits Graphic Organizer

March 10, 2013
So. Despite my best efforts, I’m sorry to say I remain a weekend-blogger. I don’t want to be, but it just seems inevitable this year! I really do bring my camera to school and daydream of ideas to blog about…but I never seem to get to the actual blogging part!
BUT the sunshine is feeling warmer, the birds are singing, the snow is starting to melt…and I know that means more blog-energy coming my way soon!!
Today (a day in which I continually look at the clock and have a little freak-out at the later-than-expected time) I wanted to share a little file we’ll be using in class tomorrow.
Even though my students are reading several different texts in Reader’s Workshop, I like to use similar graphic organizers and reader’s response questions whenever possible…it’s really ideal for the sharing session we have at the closing of the workshop.
This graphic organizer is one my students will be keeping in their binders as they encounter key characters in their new texts.
Would you like to download a copy for your class? If so, please click on the image below for an instant download…

What are you working on during your Reader’s Workshop?

• pamamom March 11, 2013 at 3:50 pm

These are great. I am going to use these all the time! Thanks so much. Pam
    Teaching By The Sea

• Kristen March 12, 2013 at 1:52 am

Thank you, I'm so glad!!! 🙂

• Runde's Room March 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm

LOVE them! This will be great to include in my guided reading buckets. I'm destined to be a weekend blog reader – except for when I'm on Spring Break ;). I had set up a classroom blog this year – and only kept it going for about a month before I burned out. I get it. Fingers crossed for some "spring" in our steps (although it snowed AGAIN last night).

Jen

• luckeyfrog March 13, 2013 at 2:20 am

I love this! I am always looking for great structures to help my students find text evidence that will work with any book, and this will be perfect. Thank you for sharing!

Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

• YoungTeacherLove March 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

These graphic organizers are absolutely PERFECT! We are starting our new read a loud, The Westing Game, and I use this book to teach all about character. Thank you so much for this awesome resource!

By the way, I feel the same way about blogging. This has been SUCH a busy month, and before I know it, the day is over and my trusty camera never came out of its bag. So, I can relate!

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• Sandy March 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Thanks once again for a wonderful freebie. You rock!!

• Ms.M March 21, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Nice! Your graphic organizers are my favorite my friend.
    Mels

• Shannon March 29, 2013 at 4:33 am

These are GREAT! I've pinned them. You're famous. 🙂

This is in case I teach 6th grade reading next year. Which I hope to do. 🙂

Shannon

• Do you and your colleagues use a team drive in school?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My teammate set one up for us last year and it is the best! We can store all of our standards, assessments, field trip forms, lesson ideas...so many things to keep us all on track.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The only part I don’t love?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There’s no option to color code folders the way you can in your personal google drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But...there is a different way to make the folders stand out and easy to find! I just added an emoji to each one to make everything a little more visual.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It’s really easy to do and it adds a little pop of color to make those gray folders easier to navigate! I put the link to an emoji site in my profile, in case you’d like to try this on your computer (https://emojipedia.org).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing some google fonts that would make awesome titles for different units!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The name for each font is in parentheses. To add the fonts to your docs and slides go to font, choose “more fonts...”, type in the name of the font you would like, select it, and then click ok!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Would you like to find more fun google fonts? If you go to the google fonts site you can search over 900 different fonts for your drive! I added the link to the site in my profile if you’d like to try it out (https://fonts.google.com).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite fonts for titles in google? Mine is Oswald Bold!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googlefonts #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Using Google Slides for field trip groups this week!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is was one of those 🤦‍♀️ moments for me this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀In the past, I would ALWAYS fly into work on the day of a field trip and frantically write chaperone names and student groups on the whiteboard...while thinking of all the other things I had to do that morning before we left. Very stressful.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This year, I started setting up a Google slide with my chaperone names and student groups the night before. I just add a little photo of our destination for interest, then make squares for “sticky notes” with all of the group information.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves so much time on the morning of the field trip...I just turn on the tv and display the slide for my students (and parents!) as they come into class. It frees me up for other last minute details I need to do before we leave...and it spares my chaperones from my awful writing on the board!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Slightly related: the second pic is our destination this week and it is usually a blast to see my city kids in the forest!! But it’s supposed to be 36 degrees and raining that day, uggghhhhh.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to organize your field trips? Do you have any tips we can learn from you?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #googleslides #googledrive #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Mother’s Day trinket trays!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This was such a fun and easy project! I found several tutorials on Pinterest for this craft. We used mason jar lids (two for each student...and they could make them for anyone they would like to celebrate: mothers, grandmothers, aunts, fathers).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We painted the outer and inner rims of the lids. Then we traced a template and cut out circles of scrapbook paper to place inside the bottom of the mason jar lid.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀SO easy and my students were really proud of their gifts for their families!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Please swipe if you’d like to see more of their designs...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#mothersdaycraft #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • The best thing I have done for myself this school year?Well, it’s really thanks to my sister @fashioncrazelearningdays. We were on spring break and she suggested deleting our gmail apps on our phones, so we wouldn’t be tempted to check work email while on vacation.And I felt so free!! I mean, I feel like I am CONSTANTLY checking my work email...in line at the grocery store, waiting for dinner to finish cooking, right before I go to sleep (never good to do that).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So even though I’m back from break, I’ve left my app off of my phone. I check my email frequently at school and throughout the evening when I work on my computer.But it’s such a relief to know when I power off my laptop, the email checking is done for the day too.It helps wrap up a work day that could truly never end...and I know you all know what I mean!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Is this something you already do? Do you have any ways you like to make the job have an ending each day? Please share with us!#teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Google Drive shortcuts!!! Ok, this one is really awesome.So it turns out there are a ton of shortcuts to save you time when navigating through your docs! If you click on a doc in your Drive, then use one of the keyboard shortcuts, it will get you moving, creating, and sharing even faster!Here are a few examples:You can click enter or o to open your doc, p to preview it before opening, . to share, and n to rename!! (These are my faves!). To access all of the shortcuts, head to the gear at the top right hand side of your Drive. Then choose “keyboard shortcuts” and you can see all the keys you can use to save time!What’s your favorite Google Drive shortcut?#google #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram