Saving time (and paper!) in Spelling: Part Two

February 2, 2013

Saving time (and paper!) in Spelling: Part Two

February 2, 2013

Hellooo! I am so happy to be back on my blog! I’ve been compiling a bunch of new pictures to share with you for a long time now. The only problem? I had lost my camera cord….aaarrrgh!! After a frantic search (under the bed, ahem) I did end up finding it this morning…so I am once again a happy blogger.
So (a little bit behind schedule) here is Part Two of Saving time (and paper!) in Spelling. Last time I shared how we are using Vocabulary City and how it’s made a huge impact on saving time for my class (you can hop over to that older post by clicking on the green link above).
And for Part Two?
Well, it’s all thanks to these clear dry erase pockets I bought years ago…

(their official name is The Communicator Clearboard and they are awesome!!)

The pockets erase so nicely and clean up really well. I prefer them over writing on laminated surfaces, ’cause the lamination can get some buildup over time.

I’ve been using them as part of our typical routine in spelling and it has saved time and paper in copying of graphic organizers. I love our routine and it’s very important, but all of those papers really start to add up!

So I copied our usual graphic organizers used for sorting our words, took out the boxes I usually had set up for my students, and ask them to self-sort the words (in small groups or individually)…

I’m storing them alongside our other whiteboards…
Maybe I should change that label to Awesome Pockets??
They’re such a great time/paper-saver…an important spelling/word work routine all set to go each week!
I would love to share more about what we do in spelling each week, if you’d like to read about it. Or shall I blog about my latest storage purchase?? Let me know what you think, I’m a girl with a camera (and cord!) and ready to blog!!!

• Elizabeth February 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I have those awesome pockets…and they are indeed awesome 🙂

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Heather February 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I love the awesome pockets. What a great idea! They love writing on stuff other than paper, so I'm sure they were very motivated to do their work!

• Mrs Poultney February 2, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I love that idea! I will have to have a hunt around for some where I live. I would love to hear more about your spelling work.

Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

• Everyone deServes to Learn February 3, 2013 at 12:10 am

Somehow I only have 1 awesome pocket. Maybe it was a free sample? I do not know. I would love to hear more about spelling!

-Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

• The Wild Rumpus February 3, 2013 at 3:38 am

These are so cool. Thanks for sharing this, and I would love to hear about both topics!

• Traci - Dragonflies in First February 3, 2013 at 4:11 am

I've never seen those Awesome Pockets before. I usually have my kids use the plastic sleeve page protectors. I've always liked the way they've worked, although they aren't super sturdy. It looks like the Awesome Pockets are the answer to that problem!

❤Dragonflies in First ❤

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron February 3, 2013 at 11:33 am

haha! We use those too!!! and yes, you SHOULD change the labels to awesome pockets! lol
    Jen
    The Teacher’s Cauldron

• Sue Cahalane February 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Would love to hear about your latest storage purchase, I love organization! I also love reading your blog!
    ~Sue
    Science for Kids Blog

• emely1776 February 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I have something similar I purchased at target, but I might need to get some more. Great idea!

• Anonymous February 10, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I love the idea of using pockets! Do the students get their work checked before they erase? Thanks for sharing these ideas.

• Maine 💙 #teachersummer #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Packing for the beach! I’m trying to stuff a few more books into my suitcase if I can...have you read any of these yet? #teachersonbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have magnetic whiteboards in your class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I LOVE mine...I only wish all of my walls could be filled with magnetic whiteboards! 😂 This year, I started using a little magnetic tool to save lots of time...and to avoid repeating information over and over.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made these little due date magnets and they help in two ways. They hold extra assignments, forms, and work samples.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They display the due date! Swipe to see some pics from our class. These little magnets kept me MUCH more organized this year...and they kept my fourth graders in the know!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They are the perfect (easy) summer project for a rainy day...that’s actually what I’m doing today! 🌧 If you would like to see more, the link to this resource is in my profile (http://bit.ly/duedatemagnets)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • So I managed to avoid shoving things into random places...mostly 😂 #classroomorganization #kindof #randompaperplates #andnapkins #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • All packed up and ready for summer!! 😅 Best wishes to my friends still wrapping up their school years! #summertime #canbarelymove #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th
    • Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram