Saving time (and paper!) in Spelling: Part Two

February 2, 2013

Saving time (and paper!) in Spelling: Part Two

February 2, 2013

Hellooo! I am so happy to be back on my blog! I’ve been compiling a bunch of new pictures to share with you for a long time now. The only problem? I had lost my camera cord….aaarrrgh!! After a frantic search (under the bed, ahem) I did end up finding it this morning…so I am once again a happy blogger.
So (a little bit behind schedule) here is Part Two of Saving time (and paper!) in Spelling. Last time I shared how we are using Vocabulary City and how it’s made a huge impact on saving time for my class (you can hop over to that older post by clicking on the green link above).
And for Part Two?
Well, it’s all thanks to these clear dry erase pockets I bought years ago…

(their official name is The Communicator Clearboard and they are awesome!!)

The pockets erase so nicely and clean up really well. I prefer them over writing on laminated surfaces, ’cause the lamination can get some buildup over time.

I’ve been using them as part of our typical routine in spelling and it has saved time and paper in copying of graphic organizers. I love our routine and it’s very important, but all of those papers really start to add up!

So I copied our usual graphic organizers used for sorting our words, took out the boxes I usually had set up for my students, and ask them to self-sort the words (in small groups or individually)…

I’m storing them alongside our other whiteboards…
Maybe I should change that label to Awesome Pockets??
They’re such a great time/paper-saver…an important spelling/word work routine all set to go each week!
I would love to share more about what we do in spelling each week, if you’d like to read about it. Or shall I blog about my latest storage purchase?? Let me know what you think, I’m a girl with a camera (and cord!) and ready to blog!!!

• Elizabeth February 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I have those awesome pockets…and they are indeed awesome 🙂

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Heather February 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I love the awesome pockets. What a great idea! They love writing on stuff other than paper, so I'm sure they were very motivated to do their work!

• Mrs Poultney February 2, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I love that idea! I will have to have a hunt around for some where I live. I would love to hear more about your spelling work.

Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

• Everyone deServes to Learn February 3, 2013 at 12:10 am

Somehow I only have 1 awesome pocket. Maybe it was a free sample? I do not know. I would love to hear more about spelling!

-Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

• The Wild Rumpus February 3, 2013 at 3:38 am

These are so cool. Thanks for sharing this, and I would love to hear about both topics!

• Traci - Dragonflies in First February 3, 2013 at 4:11 am

I've never seen those Awesome Pockets before. I usually have my kids use the plastic sleeve page protectors. I've always liked the way they've worked, although they aren't super sturdy. It looks like the Awesome Pockets are the answer to that problem!

❤Dragonflies in First ❤

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron February 3, 2013 at 11:33 am

haha! We use those too!!! and yes, you SHOULD change the labels to awesome pockets! lol
    Jen
    The Teacher’s Cauldron

• Sue Cahalane February 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Would love to hear about your latest storage purchase, I love organization! I also love reading your blog!
    ~Sue
    Science for Kids Blog

• emely1776 February 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I have something similar I purchased at target, but I might need to get some more. Great idea!

• Anonymous February 10, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I love the idea of using pockets! Do the students get their work checked before they erase? Thanks for sharing these ideas.

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram