Tutorial: Landscape AND Portrait in ppt!

December 30, 2012

Tutorial: Landscape AND Portrait in ppt!

December 30, 2012
Are you a powerpoint-designing teacher at heart? Do you just love the ease with which the graphics fly over the pages of your ppt slides? Do you smile with delight at your ability to whip up the cutest little docs in a matter of minutes? Does your love of Powerpoint only stop when it comes to the fact that it’s just not made to have both landscape and portrait in one file??
Well, there are a couple of ways to get around this, actually, and one of our very favorites is grouping. I say “our” because my bff sister Melissa (over at Fashion Craze, Learning Days) was the one who first showed grouping to me, back when she was starting out blogging. And we’ve both been grouping-crazy ever since!
Grouping is great! Not only does it allow you to change the layout of your slides, it also gives you some other great designing options. Would you like to learn more? Just take a peek at the video below…

Thank you for watching! Do you have any favorite tips for Powerpoint-designing you would like to share with us? 🙂

• Megan @ I Teach. What's Your Super Power? December 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Oh my gosh. So smart!!! Thanks for sharing this tidbit!

Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

• Primary Paradise December 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thank you so much. I love learning about extra features on power point. The video was awesome.
    Tammy
    Primary Paradise

• Ashley Kathleen December 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for this!! I use PowerPoint for all of my creations & this will save me tons of time! Thank you!

Ashley
    The Resource Room Teacher

• ~Stephanie December 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Now THIS is VERY useful! Thank you so much for the tutorial…I am so lame at all of this stuff…takes me forever to learn how to do it all!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron December 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm

woooo!!!! you totally rock my socks 🙂
    Jen
    The Teacher’s Cauldron

• Emily December 30, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Thank you!

• Faith Wheeler December 30, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Oh, I can't wait to watch this! I'm creating a set right now where I needed pages both ways. Thank you so much for creating this video 🙂

• Lindsay December 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm

You are ah-mazing Ladybug! Love it.

Lindsay
    My Life as a Third Grade Teacher

• FunintheFours December 30, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Brilliant – absolutely BRILLIANT!! I'm wondering what other amazing things powerpoint can do that I don't know about! Thanks so much for this!!

• Elizabeth December 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm

You work fast!! Thanks for this (and all) tutorial!!!

You rock!
    E

• Down Under Teacher December 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Love, love, love this post!! Ah-mazing! I will put this to use straight away! Thank you for sharing this tutorial!

Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

• Mrs. Wathen December 30, 2012 at 11:34 pm

AMAZING and EASY! Thanks for sharing:)

Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

• Dawn December 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This is soooo much better than the way I've been doing things in powerpoint. This tip will save me a lot of time! Thank you for sharing!
    Can you possibly share the tip to make my blog link clickable under my name when I comment on a blog post? I bet it's super simple, but I can't figure it out. Thank you again!

Dawn
    adventuresinfirstwithmrskey.blogspot.com

• Shelly Sitz December 31, 2012 at 12:19 am

My son taught be about grouping objects this summer. It is a big help!

Shelly
    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

• Katie December 31, 2012 at 12:31 am

I'm soooo excited about this!! 🙂 WOO HOO!! This makes me about as excited as when I found from another tutorial of yours that I could match colors for my text! 🙂 You Rock!! 🙂 I wish I had something new to share, but I'm sure you know everything I know!

✎Katie
    Smiles from 2nd Grade

• Kindergarten Myles December 31, 2012 at 12:40 am

Thanks. Nice tutorial. This is totally what I do which I figured out by accident when I was designing cards with my daughter. Grouping is good to make foldable books as well since you may need "pages" upside down. I don't like that it won't let me group tables and graphics together. Another thing I learned by accident was to select the new picture after grouping and "lock the aspect ratio" before resizing.
    Thanks
    Jenn
    prlhrbr at yahoo.com

• Miss Kindergarten December 31, 2012 at 12:54 am

Kristen!!! I've used grouping before but clearly incorrectly!! haha! I love your tutorials!!! Keep em coming!!!

• Jamie (2nd Grade Stuff) December 31, 2012 at 1:17 am

You're so stinkin' cute! We were just talking about this and look how quickly you made it happen! 🙂 You're awesome girl!

Jamie

• Nicole Shelby December 31, 2012 at 1:26 am

Thank you so much for making this! I appreciate it very much! 🙂 You rock, Kristen!

~Nicole

• Lisa at Fourth and Ten December 31, 2012 at 1:29 am

Great, great, tutorial! 🙂 LOVE IT!
    Lisa
    Fourth and Ten
    Like Fourth and Ten on Facebook!

• Corinna December 31, 2012 at 1:38 am

Thank you so much for sharing!! I just discovered grouping and didn't realize what a great tool this is:)

Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

• ~brookeb~ December 31, 2012 at 1:44 am

I love your handy tips 🙂 and your sweet voice. Thanks for sharing!
    Brooke

• Julie December 31, 2012 at 2:40 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is just what I needed – I'm just getting started on TPT and your tutorials are SO helpful!

• Liz December 31, 2012 at 2:55 am

Oh my goodness, I'm going to love using this tip! I had no idea how to do it!

• The Wild Rumpus December 31, 2012 at 2:58 am

I literally just spent the morning futzing around with getting a landscape page into a portrait document! This is so helpful–thank you!

• Erica Bohrer December 31, 2012 at 3:26 am

Great tip! I always merge the two documents on my desktop once they are pdf files. Do you use a trackpad or a magic mouse with your computer?

• Linda December 31, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! Your tutorials are soooo helpful! I recently switched to ppt to create my files (after watching another of your past tutorials) and I just can't believe how much easier it is!
    Thank you! Thank you!
    Linda
    AroundtheKampfire

• Michele December 31, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Genious! I have been trying to figure out an easy way to to do this FOREVER!
    Thank you so much!

Michele
    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

• Emily December 31, 2012 at 4:16 pm

It cracks me up to watch your videos because we have similar thought processes. Thanks for sharing! =)

Emily @ Second Grade Silliness

• Sarah December 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Oh my goodness that was brilliant! I group all the time when I am making my books but it NEVER occurred to me to use it to put portrait and landscape together. What a simple and fast way to do it! THANK YOU so much for sharing!!!! This will make my life soooooo much simpler!

Sarah
    Clearly Kindergarten

• Miss T December 31, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hahaha apparently I've used grouping wrong! I've grouped and done the c and p to other pages….but now I need to try using grouping for landscape/portrait in the same pack hehe. Thanks!

Journey of a Substitute Teacher

• Jen (Hello Mrs. Sykes) December 31, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Thank you so much!! This is such a time saver!! I really appreciate you sharing! 🙂

~Jen
    Hello Mrs Sykes

• stephf54 December 31, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Grouping is a life saver! I was so excited when I first learned about it. I didn't think about using it this way to get those landscape and portrait slides in one slideshow/pdf. This is great, thanks!

• Barbara January 1, 2013 at 8:28 am

Sounds cool. I was wondering about that too. For some reasoni can't view the video on my iPad but I'm definitely looking at it in my desktop.
    Happy new year, bloggy friend!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• Tanya January 1, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Super cool! I am totally going to go crazy with grouping! Thank you!
    ☺ Tanya
    fantabulous1stgr@aol.com
    First Grade is Fantabulous!

• Holly January 2, 2013 at 1:58 am

Oh for the love of PETE!!!!!!!!! You have just made my day…you just started off 2013 off RIGHT for me….

xoxoxoxoxooxxooxoooxooxoxxo

Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

• Ms.M January 3, 2013 at 3:39 am

Always lv your tutorials even if I don't use PP much. LOL

Melissa

• Learning is Rosey with Mrs Josey January 7, 2013 at 3:58 am

Thanks so much for another great tutorial!

Rosey Josey

Learning is Rosey with Mrs Josey

• Sarah Paul January 8, 2013 at 10:04 pm

YES!!! Thank you so much for teaching me this. That is so helpful. I've converting it to pdf and then dragging all of them over. UGH! Thank you!

Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

• Jaimie Knudson January 21, 2013 at 1:11 am

Hip! Hip! Hooray! You just saved me hours in my DAY!!!!! Thank you so much for this very helpful tool! How do you figure it all out?????? Thank you!!!
    Jaimie Knudson
    Kinderworldway@blogspot.com

• Ramon Abajo January 21, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I love this. You are great!

Best,
    Ramon
    Fonts 4 Teachers
    Fonts 4 Teachers in TPT

• Howardevoro April 16, 2019 at 10:13 am
    Comment awaiting approval

You actually revealed that adequately!
    canadian drug store

• QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 2:57 pm
    Comment awaiting approval
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 6:15 pm
    Comment awaiting approval
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 9:20 pm
    Comment awaiting approval

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram