Affordable Dry Erase Board

December 22, 2012

Affordable Dry Erase Board

December 22, 2012
Hi everyone…I wanted to thank you for the sweet words of wisdom the other day. I read your comments again and again. I cherish your advice and thoughts more than I can express.
I have a lot of little things to share from our classroom…and now we are on break so I can get started. 🙂
For some reason, I always find myself giving my room an uplift this time of year. Must be because that lovely month of organization is close at hand–January!
I’ve been looking around the room and re-purposing some items and downsizing others…like my old showerboard/dry erase board:
(That’s an old picture…the board isn’t looking so great these days, it’s all markerish now).
So one of our newest additions to the class is a new whiteboard…of sorts:
They’re are actually little whiteboard panels I lined up and hot glued to our bulletin board.
And do you know what they are made of?
They are those foam boards used for presentations, but with a dry erase surface! (Do you ever get an idea in your head about something, google it, and find that it actually exists?? Best feeling!). You can see them here: Elmer’s Dry Erase Foam Boards.
These boards come in packs of two, are very light-weight, and can be configured in a number of different ways. The three lined up together are the perfect size for us to use for notes or with our computer projector…
(They’re not as crooked as they look in this picture, I promise, though they definitely aren’t perfect…I’ve been working on letting go of my type-A tendencies, haha!)

The dry erase surface is better than I even expected and erases very nicely (we use those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers).
The only downfall? We have to be careful of the cracks between each board…if they get too much marker on them, they may not erase (since they’re at the very edge of that foam board). We’ve talked about this in class and the students are great about not writing over the borders.
I have some other plans for these boards, which I will be sure to share in the new year. 🙂
What do you like to use your dry erase boards for?

• Emily December 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Very clever. I mainly don't write on the board for lessons anymore. My screen takes up a good portion and I use the ladybug / projector/ computer… What is always on the board are my objectives, my magnets of kids done/ not done, date, and homework.

• krazykindergarten December 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Another inexpesive option is found at the lumber yard….it is a white bathboard. We have used them as large white boards and we have also had the lumber yard cut them in 9 x 12 size for lapboards. Just another idea!!

• Lori December 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Great way to add another wipe off board to your room!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

• The Science Penguin December 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Really cool! Thanks for sharing!

The Science Penguin

• Beth December 23, 2012 at 2:57 am

I am loving this ideas….as I detest chalk boards. Good tip. Thanks.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

• Mor Zrihen December 23, 2012 at 3:19 am

What a fabulous idea friend!!! You are super crafty!!! I wish I could stop by your room!!!!!! Happy Holidays xoxo

• Barbara December 23, 2012 at 5:49 am

Oooh, that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

• charlmarjo December 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I read on Pinterest that you can clean whiteboards with air freshener. It sounds weird, but it really works!

• Kelley Cirrito December 24, 2012 at 1:57 am

What a great idea!! You are so crafty! I hope you have a great holiday!!

• The Wild Rumpus December 24, 2012 at 2:11 am

Kristen–I love this. My Smartboard has attacked the whiteboard space, and I love this creative solution!

• Lisa Mattes December 24, 2012 at 3:31 am

I love whiteboards! This is great!! You are truly incredible, Kristen. I've been stalking you for quite some time and just love so many things about you! Your knack for graphics is just completely incredible and your generosity is sooo appreciated!!! Thank you so much for all you do!
    Growing Firsties

• Sherry Andrighetto December 24, 2012 at 6:21 am

Thank you for sharing. You always have creative ideas. I really love your creativity!
    Kindergarten Milestones

• Ms.M December 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I love this idea. I basically use my dry erase board to project my doc cam on. I have a gazillion dry erase boards all over my room, all shapes and sizes but I am a bit "A type" with them and have a hard time letting the kids write on them. HOWEVER, I think I would so let them have at it with these

My big white board is sectioned off with ribbon. I was thinking if you wanted you could put tape or ribbon over the creases and have each board be for a different subject, or activity. Shrugs, just an idea. Though I totally get the appeal of putting them together to have one bog board. I am curious to see what else you will do with them.

Melissa

• QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 2:50 pm
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 5:37 pm
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 6:46 pm
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 10:41 pm
  • QuentinConee April 17, 2019 at 11:24 pm
    Comment awaiting approval

• Custom colors in Google Drive!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, there have been custom colors in there for a long time now...but there’s an updated layout that makes choosing colors even easier!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀To try it out, head into docs, slides, or sheets. Click on the color menu and you’ll see a cleaner look (side note, LOVE the circles instead of squares!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Click on the + under “custom”. There you will find two sliding scales to choose your favorites colors. The first is “hue” at the bottom.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then comes the fun part.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀After choosing a hue, slide around to find your ideal shade...so many to choose from!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it gets better.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you’ve selected the exact shade you like, the selector tool will remain in place...this means you can slide through the hues while maintaining a consistent shade! MUCH easier than before!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this updated feature yet? I hope this is of help of you didn’t! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Took a moment to note which books I owned and which ones I will need to borrow this year.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If it’s available in our school, I noted it with “library”...if it’s a book my sister or a friend owns, I wrote “borrow”.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is something I did last year my old book tracker and it really did help when I was planning for the next week.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you’d like to see more about the Read Aloud Tracker, the link is in my profile.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I finally finished my Read Aloud Tracker and I can’t stop adding books...I’m at 114 so far!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I’m so excited because I know this will help me keep on track with my daily picture book read alouds this year! Last year we read over a hundred books (about 120!)...but I really fell off track when I got caught up with planning, grading, testing, and all of those busy teacherly things. I even forgot which titles we had already read at times! So this will definitely help me plan read alouds more efficiently.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The tracker stores titles alphabetically and keeps a count of how many books are in your collection, as well as a tally of books read so far (swipe to see more).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I listed this resource in my store...please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more or go to bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#reading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A sneak peek of something I’ve been working on to manage our daily read alouds this year...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀More to come soon!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#teachingreading #readersgonnaread #bookaday #classroombookaday #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Thanks to everyone who shared their favorite google fonts yesterday!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I put together a doc of 55 Favorite Teacher Fonts for us to share...if you click the link in my profile, you can get a copy for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you open this doc, you can select any new fonts you’d like to try. If you copy and paste them into a new google doc, the fonts will automatically be added to your menu...no searching and adding necessary!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Thank you again to everyone for sharing your awesome font finds! I hope this is of help for some of you looking for new fonts!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀bit.ly/FavoriteGoogleFonts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googledocs #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you have a favorite Google font? Or several? If you would like to share in the comments below, I’d love to make a list and save it in my highlights for you to refer to later this summer.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you visit my profile now, you will see a Google fonts highlight with the steps to find new fonts for your drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So...⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorites?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My go-to for everything is Century Gothic. For script I love Clicker Script and for bold titles my favorite is Oswald Bold (in uppercase!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #googlefonts #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram