A Recipe for a Great Friendship (files to share)

November 16, 2012

A Recipe for a Great Friendship (files to share)

November 16, 2012
Happy Friday!! I’m here to share a new file this evening. Well, it’s actually a spinoff of an old file from last year.
So. Our school reads a book of month and, this month, the book is Enemy Pie. The whole school reads the book and completes a writing piece in relation to the book–it’s a lot of fun!
As for Enemy Pie, the students just LOVE it! Even though most of my 5th graders remember it from last year, they were anxious to hear the story again, which I loved 🙂
Last year, I shared some different writing options for Enemy Pie (please click here to see the old files). I decided to tweak them a bit, to share here on the blog. There’s a basic planning sheet for a Recipe for a Great Friendship…
Along with some lined papers for the writing piece itself (there are two different lined papers…the second page has some larger space between the lines)…
(I bought that clipart specifically for my 5th graders…they love that kind of cartoony, quirky stuff this year!)
I thought this might be a file some could use…either with Enemy Pie or for different units you might cover. If you would like to grab this free file, please click on the image below (it’s in my TpT store):
For my class, I decided to do something a bit different from last year’s recipe idea.
In Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop, our focus has been on memoirs. By the end of our study, our students will have written a memoir of their own and all of the mini-lessons in our workshops are tied into this genre right now.
So I thought I would use Enemy Pie as a springboard for a little memoir writing piece…to keep everything consistent.
The memoirs our students are working on are all focused on a moment in time, not an entire day or series of events. And it can be very challenging for our students to narrow down a moment…it takes a lot of work to get there!
Luckily, our fabulous reading specialist shared some great resources to help in doing so! They are from the book Mentor Texts: Teaching Writing Through Children’s Literature, K-6, by Lynne R. Dorfman and Rose Cappelli. One I love in particular is the “inverted triangle” (the one I made for my class looks like this):
This graphic organizer helps the students reflect on the main idea/theme of the book, make a text-to-self connection, then narrow that connection down to a specific memory/moment.
After reading and discussing Enemy Pie, our inverted triangles took form, from broad themes to a focused writing topic…
making friends/friendship
friends we have or remember
a time/event with this friend
a specific moment with this friend
(Ok, I realize this doesn’t look like a triangle and I WISH SO MUCH I could show what my students’ work came out like, but we’re not allowed to blog their work).
Anyhow, once we narrowed down to those moments, the writing pieces were easy to get going! We’ve been revising them and I can’t wait to see the final results.
What are some of your favorite kinds of graphic organizers to use in writing?? 🙂
Border, Font, and Graphics by Miss Tiina at www.misstiina.com

• Mrs Cupcake November 16, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I love this!!! Really cute and a great idea! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Diane R November 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm

This is great! Thanks so much!

To organize our writing, we use the number notes from The Write Tools by Alice Greiner. I blogged about it in this post. She is a fabulous presenter if you ever get the chance to see her.

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• ~Stephanie November 17, 2012 at 12:14 am

The recipe card is just great! I will be incorporating it into my class for sure.

On a side note, we finished the Thanksgiving dinner response to lit and my kids got so so into it! They were really thinking about who would sit where and it was a perfect way for them to respond to the story this week. Thanks again for that one!!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts November 17, 2012 at 12:56 am

I am in love with this! Those doodles are great, too- they remind me of Diary of a Wimpy Kid- my boys will love them 🙂

We have used Being a Writer curriculum for writing the past few years and I am missing the planning step. I am now going through and revamping my old planning units in the hope that it will help their writing pieces out 🙂 It's so helpful for them (and me!)

Thanks so much for these- this will definitely be a lesson when we get back!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Emily November 17, 2012 at 2:57 am

Thank you for sharing. Last year I used your original Recipe for Friendship for a writing activity in February. The kids loved it!

• Jennifer Smith Sloane November 17, 2012 at 3:08 am

Kristen- I am loving this! In fact I downloaded it and can't wait to incorporate it in January for my Student Council guidance lesson one week. Since I am also the Newspaper Advisor (on top of my other hats) we do a lot of writing every week and I use Inverted Pyramids, various Flippables and a Big Idea Graphic Organizer to gather thoughts and what not. Thankfully they have now (mostly) arrived at the point where they can choose their own graphic organizer to guide their writing! 🙂

Click here to visit my teaching blog, Live.Teach.Create

• Janine November 17, 2012 at 3:23 am

We just did "Enemy Pie" last week! I will save these for next year, as always, you have perfected your art! I don't know if you know, but http://www.storylineonline.net has a free read aloud of the book, along with many others.

Thanks for this!

faithfulinfirst.blogspot.com

• Molly November 19, 2012 at 6:44 am

Kristen, I LOVE Enemy Pie!! I just found out about it this summer, and it was actually the very first book I read to my students this year! They loved it!! I just bought a couple more friendship/anti-bullying books that revolve around lunch time, so I think I may use this recipe writing them! Also, my kiddos make connections to Enemy Pie frequently, so I'm sure they would love coming back to it again! And I agree, the clipart is adorable!!

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram