The Homework Spot

October 3, 2012

The Homework Spot

October 3, 2012

HI!! I’m so excited to be mid-week blogging like old times!
I had a chance to snap a few pictures after school today and wanted to share a homework management system that has been a huge help for me this year!
I owe it all to the fabulous Kristine, from Young Teacher Love (have you seen all of her Common Core math goodies?! Incredible!). Kristine has written very helpful posts on this system (with homework management printables): In Love! and Amazing Idea for Homework Management.
With this system, each student has a space to turn in their homework…a space the teacher can see very easily to quickly check for homework that has been turned in! Kind of an at-a-glance accountability system…
(It’s a also great visual reminder to pass in homework for students who arrive at different times during the morning).
So, to set this up, I used some of those clear binder pockets and hot glued them to the wall (this is something I’ve done in the past to display books in my class). I used two dots of glue at the top edges of the pocket and left the bottom hanging free. I’ve only had one fall off (pretty sure my fingers were all burny and hot-glued-out at that point, leading to a bad gluing job!) but the others have stayed on nicely.
I like the clear pockets because they don’t really stand out too much. They also make it really easy to see when they are filled with homework…
(that’s just a blank paper, but you get the idea!).
And that’s it! Between this homework system and the student numbering system in general, my teaching life has been SO much easier this year! Thank you Kristine and thanks bloggy friends!!
What are some management techniques you use for homework?

• Kate October 3, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Great idea! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

• Tonya October 3, 2012 at 11:41 pm

LOVE the idea! Wish I had more room for it! I am using a binder with a check sheet! They have been really good about it!

Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

• Mrs Poultney October 3, 2012 at 11:53 pm

That is a great idea! Just checked out you post on hot gluing books to the wall, I was confused at first thinking, "How do they read the books if they are glued to the wall?" Then when I saw your post I had an "A-ha" moment. Very smart! (I might have been having a pseudo seniors moment (:
    I use an upright file with table numbers on the file, each table has 4 students so I can see which table has not returned homework. Love your blog!
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

• Angela October 4, 2012 at 12:05 am

OMG!!! I totally love that idea!! I can just see how much time that would free up for me! Hmmmm…..now where am I going to put it……

Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

• Kristen October 4, 2012 at 12:08 am

πŸ™‚ I put mine on the wall under my bulletin board (it's this huge long space that has some piping that gets in the way of larger pictures). It's hard to find space for these things, isn't it?

• YoungTeacherLove October 4, 2012 at 12:14 am

YOU ARE TOO SWEET!!!!!!! πŸ™‚ Thanks so much Kristen! I love your twist on it with the individual pouches for the papers, they look awesome!! πŸ™‚

YoungTeacherLove 5th Grade Blog

• Overachiever October 4, 2012 at 12:31 am

I absolutely love this idea and your system. I've seen Kristen's before too and I wish I had the space for them. It will definitely take away the process of me checking homework. I do not enjoy this time at all. Anyway, I love it and your site!!!

• Ashley October 4, 2012 at 12:46 am

I actually send home a weekly homework packet…paper-saving initiative that actually worked out to benefit everyone. I have a simple chart on the front cover page that lists Math, Reading, Spelling, and "Other" for the week. Reading doesn't change too much, it's something like read from your bag of books, etc. I also include daily specials (we're on a 6 day cycle), and note any extra special days like "Picture Day" "Decade day" etc. I run the packets and send em home on Monday; they're due on Friday or the last day of the week. That means I check homework ONCE a week! The students learn to manage their time and I save on paper and time. πŸ™‚
    freefallinintofirst.blogspot.com

• Tanya Solano October 4, 2012 at 12:57 am

What a fantastic idea! Not so much for homework in my kindergarten class, but for star work, book of the week, etc. Now, to just find space on the walls….
    ❀Tanya
    Ms. Solano's Kindergarten

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts October 4, 2012 at 1:19 am

Oooo, I love this! I have been using a "Turn-In Bin" this year and it's been way, way, WAY better than my old system of kids turning things in, me losing the pile, forgetting who did/didn't turn the assignment in, you get the picture πŸ˜‰

I am loving the idea of hot glue on those bricks, too- our schools must have been built at the same time πŸ™‚ Except ours are avocado green…. ew!

Love your ideas, as always!!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Vicky Hunt October 4, 2012 at 2:19 am

Love this idea! Where did you find the clear pockets? I would love to do this!

Vicky
    Keep Calm & Imagine

• Love to Learn October 4, 2012 at 4:20 am

What a fantastic idea, I have never seen homework spots done in quite this way!

Love to Learn

• Jen October 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

Awesome idea! Going to have to make it work. :). Thanks!

• katieneu October 4, 2012 at 11:44 am

this is a great system!!! love your polka dot signs too!! do you have these to share???
    thank you!
    katie.neustadter@gmail.com

• Kristen October 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Sorry, I don't have a whole file ready to share–Kristine has some lovely ones in her store (I linked to hers above) πŸ™‚

• Kellie October 4, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Terrific Idea! Even great to put work in when students are absent! πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing.

• Karen Greenberg October 4, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I love this idea. Hmmmm… now to find a space to get this display going…..

• Debra October 4, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Did you make the numbers? How cute! I would love to find these. Debra

• Kristen October 6, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Thanks Debra! Kristine has a bunch she's made on her blog (I linked to it above). πŸ™‚

• Tara October 4, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Hey little missy!!!! This is Monday Made It worthy:)))))) hint…hint….Love it!

4th Grade Frolics

• Kimberly Santana October 5, 2012 at 12:00 am

What a great idea! I wish I had wall space. I use a similar concept, but in hanging file folders. The kids turn their homework into the files and I pull and check on Fridays for our "homework club". I love that you can easily see who has/hasn't turned in their work…my system doesn't do that for me. Now you've got me thinkin' πŸ˜‰

Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

• Ms.M October 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I love this! especially the black and colored dot, circle labels. πŸ™‚ Will those be for sale? I just have a tub/ basket for my students homework folder cause I only pass out and collect it once a week. πŸ™‚ But this is so cute.

Hope your doing well, nice to see you back.

M

• Kristen October 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Hi!! Thanks M! I don't currently have it available, I just have the numbers I need for my class right now. I know Kristine has several options on her blog πŸ™‚

Talk to you soon!

• Jeck Abao November 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

Nice idea .It really helps a lotI just came across your blog and totally love it. I know that clipart can always be used in the classroom. I came across this site which offers unlimited access to the clipart. Plus new items are added almost daily. Take a peek at it http://www.digiscrappy.infoLook for Teachers and Church Teachers.Missy Mae

• Susan Flores March 19, 2013 at 3:05 am

Hi Kristin! I was wondering if you are able to sell your homework spot labels through your TeachersNotebook shop? I would really love to use them, with your permission of course! πŸ™‚

• Unknown June 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Have you made these available yet? I'd love them!

• upwords July 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Are the polka dot labels and numbers available yet? I only need 1-22. If not, what about just "The Homework Spot"? Thanks

• Mrs. H July 6, 2013 at 12:04 am

I want them, too!!! πŸ™‚