Printing Poster Size with Adobe Reader

October 6, 2012

Printing Poster Size with Adobe Reader

October 6, 2012
Happy Saturday everyone! I wanted to share a little trick I learned recently when looking through the print options on Adobe Reader–printing poster-size!!
This isn’t something I really use often, thanks to our document camera (I’ve only printed poster size for Stephanie’s FabulousBeyondWords Calendar Math) BUT it is great for something you want to laminate and write on many times.
So, in case this is new information to you as well, here are the steps.
1. Open the pdf you would like to enlarge.
2. Click on File and Print.
3. Under the option for Page Scaling, choose Tile All Pages:
4. Change the size of the document by increasing the Tile Scale (I used 175% as shown below):
5. Check off the Cut Marks box (shown just above) so you will have guides to use for cutting. They will show up like little crosshairs (as you can see just under that swirly border):
The only downfall is, with the resizing, you may end up with some extra white space at the top of your document…
But that large visual is such a great tool, I don’t mind in the case of a couple of documents.
Once I have it all printed, I cut the pages with a paper trimmer, glue on a posterboard, and laminate!
Do you ever print poster-size? Do you have any tips or tricks to share with us? Thanks for reading 🙂

• Diane R October 6, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I noticed it but never tried it. Would have been a good idea for a few things in my room. Thanks for experimenting and sharing!

Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

• Gina Coniglio October 6, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Cool! I've seen that but never tried.Thanks for the tutorial!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

• Lauren October 6, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I've thought about that many times, but never long enough to figure out how to do it. Thanks for the tip!

• Courtney October 6, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Wow! That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing Kristen! I had no idea that this could be done. Have a great weekend!

Swimming into Second

• Dani October 6, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I've been wondering how to do this exact thing! Thank you so much!

-Dani
    A Place to Thrive

• Cindy E. October 7, 2012 at 12:32 am

I had no idea that you could do that!! Thanks for sharing! I have quite a few items that I would love to have poster-sized.

• Elizabeth October 7, 2012 at 12:53 am

Fantastic tip!! I can always count on you for techy tips!!
    Elizabeth

• Ginger Snaps October 7, 2012 at 1:05 am

Good to know!!

• Miss Nelson October 7, 2012 at 1:14 am

• Sandy October 7, 2012 at 1:33 am

I figured this out this summer and thought it was genius… It makes posters so much easier to make! 🙂

• Emily October 7, 2012 at 1:57 am

Love that feature! =)

Emily @ Second Grade Silliness

• Erica Bohrer October 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I am pinning this.

• Mrs. Taggart October 7, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Did you remake the items for that calendar math? I'd be interested in seeing photos of your calendar math board/area.

Thanks! 🙂

• Kristen October 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I just finished setting up a calendar (finally) for the area and hope to take pictures soon 🙂

• Julie @ The Teaching Bug October 8, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Wow! Thank you! I never knew how to make it poster size!
    Thanks,
    Julie@TheTeachingBug

• Jessi Fuller October 9, 2012 at 8:34 pm

What does the final product look like???

• emely1776 October 11, 2012 at 1:13 am

Which version of Adobe Reader are you using because I am not seeing that option on mine.

• Smiles :) October 15, 2012 at 3:06 am

Cool…now I want to poster-size everything! Just kidding! 🙂 Thanks for sharing this idea!

• cohen moles March 6, 2013 at 1:33 am

Hi guys! just want to share this tip in Large printing:If you want to print a poster with a solid- color or gradient background, please carefully consider the drawbacks- it will take longer to print, and it may make the poster more susceptible to damage when handled.
    ZTE review

• Latoya Smith May 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I’ve had my share of less than appealing print jobs, so it’ll come as no surprise that I was being more than a little picky when I had to select somewhere to print some posters for my boutique after relocating to Fort Lauderdale FL. A friend suggested I try a local printer, PCA Delta. The posters were great. Now I use them whenever I have stuff to print. If you need printing done, I highly recommend you give them a try. Check them out at http://www.pcadeltaprinting.com/

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram