My foldable easel!!!

September 13, 2012

My foldable easel!!!

September 13, 2012
Hi!! So I realized this picture was perhaps a bit too sunny (it just streams through the windows all morning) but then I thought it gave my easel a kind of glow around it–which reflects my feelings perfectly because I LOVE MY EASEL!
So, I remember reading about Katie’s (The Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher) awesome easel back when she shared her beautiful classroom this summer. I love how she set up her whole-group meeting area for her students. And even though I’ve always had a carpet area (thanks to Donors Choose!) I’ve never had an easel for my class.
Well, about seven days into our school year, I kept thinking about Katie’s whole-group meeting area and how much I wanted that kind of space for my students (they just love sitting on the carpet!).
I really wanted to find one that could fold up for easy storage during vacations, so I did a bit of searching and one of the first sites that popped up was for a sidewalk dry erase board! Kind of strange, I know, but I thought that anything that could withstand the elements could definitely survive a 5th grade classroom!
It has a handle at the top so you can lift it up and close it…
A shiny surface that’s really smooth to write on and easy to erase…

And it is double-sided! (I use the other side to post dates and times of upcoming events).

I anchored it against the end of our bookcases and, underneath, added some little shelves to store dry erase markers, tape, erasers, etc (still setting up this part)…
And that’s my easel! It is so great to have a more cohesive whole-group meeting area now!
What kind of tools/resources do you like to use in your whole-group meeting area? Thanks for visiting my very neglected blog…I have missed talking to everyone!

• Ginger Snaps September 13, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Beautiful, as usual! =)

• Emily September 13, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Great idea!

• ~Stephanie September 14, 2012 at 12:04 am

Fabulous! I love me easel too (thank you Donors Choose 😉 ) Makes it so much easier to teach on the rug…which I love too 🙂

~Steph
    Teaching in Room 6

• Courtney September 14, 2012 at 12:04 am

Wow! I love that! Thanks for sharing!

Swimming into Second

• Rikki September 14, 2012 at 12:50 am

Wow, what a nice easel! Jealous!
    ஐRikki
    The Hive

• Stephanie September 14, 2012 at 2:16 am

Well that's just plain clever!

❤ -Stephanie
    Falling Into First

• Amber @ Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher September 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm

How smart! I talked my principal into buying me an easel this summer and I loooove it!

Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

• Gladys September 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Beautiful! Love that storage area underneath the easel too…I need to fun myself a little shelf now. 😉

• Gladys September 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm

ooops typing too fast…lol. I meant *find instead of fun. 😉

• Ms.M September 15, 2012 at 1:51 am

It looks wonderful Kristen. You know I have a huge monter easel cart and while I love it and all the storage it offers, sometimes I want something smaller that doesn't take up as much room.

I also love how yours is all white. It looks so pretty. 🙂 And your organized shelves are to die for. Miss you tons! Super overwhelmed with work. 🙂 Wanna hear how it's going in 5th grade this year soon.

M

• YoungTeacherLove September 15, 2012 at 2:04 am

What a great idea!! This looks awesome! 🙂 I love the shiny glow! New toys deserve that shiny aura!

My poor easel is not much of an easel. It has fallen over a few times mid-lesson, which leads to a crazy teacher and some laughing students! ha! It is taller and has these old wheel like turny-things to tighten the legs so it holds steady. It sounds and looks like something from the stone age, but is my go to for whole group meetings! I am loving this little guy, though!!

YoungTeacherLove 5th Grade Blog

• Elizabeth September 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

You've made a great little space for your whole group on your carpet. The carpet idea and easel are making me think of, perhaps, another Donors Choose project??
    Love the glowing picture, too 🙂
    Elizabeth

• The Ever Changing Classroom September 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Love this idea! I teach a multigrade and need another area with a movable whit board. This is perfect! Thanks.

Vanessa
    teachingtrainingandtots.blogspot.com

• Aquita September 18, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Wow! What a great easel. I love mine, too. I couldn't imagine teaching without it.

• Aquita September 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Oh, I totally missed the second part of your question. I use my easel, of course. I also make good use of my document camera and smartboard. They're the best. I didn't have the funds for a huge classroom carpet, so I just bought 3 black ones from Wal-Mart for $20 each. Then I duct-taped them together. Works like a charm. 🙂

• Anonymous September 19, 2012 at 1:05 am

I am looking for your all "app"out me post. I saw it on my google reader, but it seems to have disappeared!

• Kate Cracraft September 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Love this! I miss my easel I used to have at my old school. Every teacher had an easel in their classroom. At my new school, I'm not so lucky 🙁 Thanks for sharing this!

• Miss Klohn September 30, 2012 at 3:43 am

I cannot imagine teaching without my easel! Don't you just love yours? Thanks for the blog shout out too! You are the best!

Miss Klohn