Word Pattern Playlists and some news

August 26, 2012

Word Pattern Playlists and some news

August 26, 2012
Hi guys! I’m stopping by to share a free file this evening and I really hope it’s something you can use!
So. I’ve been working on my students’ binders (more to come on those, very soon). But I had to stop, middle of binder-setup, to work on this…
(The awesome clipart is designed by the fabulous Ginger, from Ginger Snaps!).
I know I’ve shared a bunch of different word-collection resources in the past…Word Detectives, Word Wizards, Word Rock

(Ok, now I feel kind of boring looking at my file names!)

These have all worked well for my students over the years, but I wanted something a bit different than a book this year…since we’ll be storing these words in our binders. I also wanted something that would be appealing to my 5th grade class.
Oh yes, that’s the news I had to share with you.
So…you know how I work with ELL newcomers in a magnet class? And I teach a 4th/5th grade multi-age? Well, things are going to be a bit different this year!
I will be teaching a 5th grade class that is half newcomer ELL students, half mainstream 5th graders (I’m certified in both areas and have taught mainstream 5th in the past). As my good friend and colleague said, it’s kind of an international class (are you reading this Louise???).
I’m beyond excited about it and have been prepping things like a madwoman all week. Hence the lack of blogging.

Ok, back to the file.

It could be used with younger grades, like so…
…with students writing a basic spelling pattern and list of words with this pattern.
And with older students in this fashion…
….with students focusing on a sound and its variations in spelling, then categorizing the words.
We will store these sheets in the Reference section of our binders and I’m hoping they will be used as a resource during Writer’s Workshop, in addition to our spelling lessons.
If you would like to download this file, please click here: Word Pattern Playlists.

I know that so many of my bloggy friends are back at school and I hope it is going well!! Our students start back on Wednesday, eek! I look forward  to catching up with you soon 🙂

• Tara August 26, 2012 at 10:23 pm

This is awesome and so sweet of you to share it!!! What a wonderful idea….why would I expect anything else from you friend! Can't wait to use it:) Thanks for sharing and congrats on your new class:) Chat soon:)

4th Grade Frolics

• Kimberly Santana August 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Ooo, I love how this can be used at any grade level- so clever you are 😉

Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

• ~DeAnne~ August 26, 2012 at 10:44 pm

LOVE THIS!!! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

• Stacy August 26, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing:) Already purchased and am using your Genre mini-lesson file, and the genre posters. Oh yeah….and the CRAFT board. You have totally inspired me!
    Stacy
    Leading and Reading

• Ms.M August 26, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Omg your back! You've been misses. 🙂 I haven't read you post. I saw you had a new post and rushed to comment. On my way back up to read. Lol

Big hug
    M

• Ms.M August 26, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Um that was supposed to be missed. I should reread my comments before hitting publish.

Anyway, im a lil sad you won't just be an ell teacher anymore but you will still be a half ell teacher. 😀 But wait! Congrats, I know this is something you wanted.

Oh and ummm I sent you a MSG last night. I'm in a spot of trouble. Could you help me out?

M

• Kelly Patrice August 27, 2012 at 12:09 am

OH I am so excited to hear you are in 5th grade. I also teach 5th grade and love it! We are an ELL site school and I have quite a few Ell students with some being unable to speak or understand english. Challenging but I'm thrilled to have them in my room. The playlist will be used in my room starting tomorrow. Thank you for the great idea!

• Kristin August 27, 2012 at 12:10 am

Love this!!!
    Have a great first day!!! 🙂

• Mrs. Cupcake August 27, 2012 at 12:25 am

Love it!! Good luck on your first day! Kids start NEXT Thurs. for me!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• April Walker August 27, 2012 at 1:01 am

This is a fabulous idea! So glad to hear you will have 5th graders. I look forward to seeing what you create and share this year.

~April
    The Idea Backpack

• Ximena August 27, 2012 at 1:30 am

Welcome back for a few minutes!1 Thank you for sharing, and I can't wait to see your next posting.

• Elizabeth August 27, 2012 at 1:55 am

What a great way to make word work fun 🙂 I'm thinking I might be able to use this with math somehow, too. I'm so happy for ou and your international class 😉 Have a great week and a fantastic first day back on Wednesday.
    Elizabeth

• Elizabeth August 27, 2012 at 1:57 am

Dang iPad auto spell. I'm happy for YOU not ou.
    Elizabeth

• Emily August 27, 2012 at 1:57 am

Love this! Thanks for sharing!! If possible could you also post a version with just one per page? It's adorable!!!

• Kristen August 27, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Hey Emily and thanks for the kind comment! I don't think I'll have a chance right now–I'm prepping for the new year, I'm sorry 🙂

• Erica Bohrer August 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Love it!

• alig0118 August 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Great idea! Thank you so much for sharing!

• jen ormsbee August 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Kristen,
    This is awesome! This would also make a great studying tool for homework 🙂
    Thank you for sharing this!

–jen

• Ash August 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm

That is such a fabulous idea! So many kids would love this!
    Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

• teaching fashionista August 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Really Cool Kristen .. Good Luck with your new class, I start next week 4th grade this year!!

• Andrea August 31, 2012 at 1:47 am

These are great! I love that it is versatile and will appeal to the older students I work with! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower!

Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars!

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram