Reader’s, Writer’s, and Spelling Binders

August 27, 2012

Reader’s, Writer’s, and Spelling Binders

August 27, 2012
Hi everyone! I know I’ve mentioned the student binders I’ve been working on in the past. Well, I finally got one set put together yesterday!

And I’m linking up with my fabulous friend Tara for her famous…

So. I am trying something a bit different this year and I’m using two binders.

One will be for our Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops, plus Spelling…

(Math, Science, and Social Studies will be in a separate binder…I won’t be introducing those to my class until the second week of school, so more on that soon!)
Back to these binders! So, last year, I had a Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop binder and I really loved it. It was the perfect place to store Reader’s Responses, anchor charts we created together, graphic organizers, etc.
I wanted to add Spelling to the mix as well, since there is so much overlap among the three subjects.
I also divided three subjects among two binders so I could have more sections! One thing I learned from last year was the more sections I had set up, the easier it was for my students to really organize their resources. And here are the sections…
For Reader’s Workshop we have the following tabs:
  • Reader’s  For notes, anchor charts, anything from our mini-lessons.
  • Responses  For our Reader’s Response questions.
  • Records  To keep track of books read in class.
For Writer’s Workshop, we have two sections:
  • Writer’s  For notes, anchor charts, anything from our mini-lessons.
  • Notebook For student writing pieces. I like the idea of having an actual notebook in Writer’s Workshop, but I also use a TON of graphic organizers, so I ultimately prefer the binder setup.
And for Spelling:
  • Spelling  For notes and spelling work for the week.
  • List To store and keep track of our spelling list. I’ve grown weary of lost lists each week!!
  • Resources This section is the very last one for a reason. As I mentioned last evening, I’m looking to store word features and patterns discussed during spelling, so that student can utilize them with their writing. I’m hoping to add not only spelling resources, but also Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop resources for the students in this back section.
I have a lot more to share about these binders, but it’s kind of hard without seeing them without the actual work inside them! So I will definitely be blogging more about them once school has begun.
Oooo…one more thing! I also have gotten a (tiny) bit carried away with the numbering system this year, thanks to Tara and Teri! I can’t stop numbering things!! It has made getting my room ready SO much easier this summer.
I even numbered these binder covers, ’cause I like how it looks with the design. Plus I don’t have to wait for a final class list. If you would like to download a set, please click on the image below:
Do you use binders with your class? Or notebooks or folders? Or a combination of them? I would love to read about your favorite set up!

• Kelli August 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm

wow……..this.looks.amazing.

Love it, love your blog, love your designs. Keep up the great work! Thank your for continuing to share your outstanding ideas : )

Forever Grateful,
    Kelli
    Tales From a Traveling Teacher

• Kristen August 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm

What a nice thing to say–thank you very much Kelli! 🙂

• Tara August 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Amazing as usual!!!! My head is spinning….I may have to put these onto my list for next year….or wait….maybe this year….I could add it, just have to tweak what I do….something for me to obsess about the next few days..lol! Love them:)

4th Grade Frolics

• Elizabeth August 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm

So good looking, Kristen. I'm not at all surprised. I can't wait to see how you put these to work in your international classroom 🙂

And, Tara: add it…change is good 😉 Just take deep breaths.

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Shelly220 August 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Kristen – I love your blog as well and look forward to hearing more about your binders. I'm starting Reader's Workshop binders this year and am not sure exactly what I want to put in them yet (my students don't start until September 6th here in NJ.) I also use the numbering system in my room which is super helpful since I work on a military base and kids are constantly coming and going. It makes things so much easier!

Michelle

• Kristen August 27, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Hey Michelle! Thanks! I will try to share them asap. We have a lot of kids coming and going in our program too–I don't know why I didn't number before! 🙂

• Renee S August 27, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Hey Kristen!

Amazing Job!

What is the font you use for the title Readers Workshop and Spelling

I love it!

Keep up the great work!

Renee
    The Reading Corner

• Kristen September 16, 2012 at 12:43 am

Thanks and sorry for the delay! It's coffeehouse espresso by sweet shoppe designs!

• sydney August 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE YOU! We are actually using 3 composition books (reading response journal, math journal, and writing journal) and then they are have a data notebook in a binder (which I need a cover for, hint hint). I am determined to find a way to make these covers work in my room!

• Amy Rossi August 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I love these and they will work perfectly in my fifth grade classroom! Thanks so much for being so generous with your designs!!

• Lisa August 28, 2012 at 1:25 am

OOOH LOVE!!! I am so doing notebooks next year. We used composition notebooks last year and this year, and I just don't have the flexibility with those. I'm loving this idea and can't wait to change it up next year…..it will be on my summer Monday Made It list for next year 🙂

Lisa
    Super Pig and Tyrant King

• Kimberly Santana August 28, 2012 at 1:57 am

I love keeping my kiddos organized- you always have such great tips! Thank you 🙂

Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

• 4321Teach August 28, 2012 at 2:51 am

Thank you so much for posting about this. I am training the teachers at my schools in Balanced Literacy and welcome any information to pass onto them. I used reading and writing notebooks in the past. My reading were spiral notebooks and writing were composition. In my reading notebooks, we had a section for reading logs and resources and another section for responses. I really thought I had a third section but for the life of me can't remember. lol I like the way you divided yours.

I bookmarked this page and will definitely be checking back from time-to-time to see your new posts on notebooks. I will also pass your blog onto other teachers in my schools. 🙂

Thanks again 🙂
    Antoinette

• Kimberley Hove August 28, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I love how you put it in just one binder. What font did you use for the tabs and what font do you use most often? Thank you for all of your hard work. Your amazing. I use composition books for writing. I might switch if I can find binders for a good price.

• Kristen September 16, 2012 at 1:00 am

Thanks, you always leave such nice comments Kimberly! It's coffee house espresso by sweet shoppe designs, my all-time fave!

• Denicia August 28, 2012 at 10:48 pm

These are absolutely wonderful! My grade level team just does a writing binder, and it's driving me nuts not to be able to put more than just writing things inside! Maybe I'll sneak some other stuff in there…

On another note, do you buy all of these binders yourself? They can get expensive! Where are the best deals???

Thanks for another fabulous freebie that I can't wait to use 🙂

• Kristen September 16, 2012 at 12:59 am

I did buy them…not sure if it was the best buy but I was crunched for time. They were just under $2 each, I think and I got them from Shoplet. Thanks for visiting and the kind words 🙂 🙂

• Kate August 29, 2012 at 1:19 am

I have used reading binders each year with sections. They work great! I also hole punch their reading folder and place it in the binder so it's less hole punching to do and the students just place their work right in their folders when they are done. It keeps the binders neat and kids stay focused without having to wait in line to punch papers themselves or disturb a reading group.

• Ms.M August 29, 2012 at 1:19 am

Your awesome. ALMOST makes me wish I taught older kids, almost. 😉

M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Carolyn Green August 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Gave you a shout out on my blog today — thanks for sharing your amazing creations!

• Jeannine August 31, 2012 at 10:05 am

I just decorated my classroom yesterday and hung up the D'Nealian Alphabet and the Genre Posters I purchased from your shop!I'm so in love with them and my black and bright room! Stop by and see my photos if you have a chance! The room is not completely finished yet but I'm ready for my second graders!

Jeannine
    Creative Lesson Cafe

• ShareBytes August 31, 2012 at 5:05 pm

USB drives that every classroom should have!!

To help Teachers prepare their classrooms for another exciting year we are offering the following promo to all Teachers, Staff and School Administrators:

Fun and Cool USB Drives: 20$ off orders over $100 use promo code: TeachersRule

Go to http://www.wesharebytes.com
    Offer is good through 9/30/12

• mrs. mindy September 1, 2012 at 12:50 am

Kristen, You are my blogging idol. I have been asked to speak at a technology conference in October and I am looking for advice. Please check out my post and if you are willing link up with some tips, help me spread the word I am hoping some of these amazing teacher bloggers out there can help me narrow down what I should really focus on for my presentation.

Thanks, Mindy

• cregan September 2, 2012 at 1:46 am

Love your idea… last year I did a literacy notebook, combined reading and writing. Wasn't happy with it and trying to figure out how to do it this year. Love your idea. I have the binders and will give it a try. THANKS!

• Mor Zrihen September 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Your covers are so cute!!!!! I LOVE your designs!!!! You are so talented! I'm using notebooks this year (actually I'll post some pictures today). The binders get too heavy for my kids and I hate seeing loose leaf paper all over the place 🙂
    Can't wait to see all that you're going to share with us this year!! I hope you have a wonderful year my friend!

• Dee Bibb September 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I so love to get my kiddos organized and keep them that way. I have also found that binders are the way to go…things can be added without difficulty!

Love your binder covers.

Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

• Anonymous September 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Great idea! What font do you use for the tabs? They are super cute!

Thanks,
    Michelle

• Kristen September 16, 2012 at 12:47 am

thanks, it's coffee house espresso by sweet shoppe designs 🙂 🙂

• Kristin Gre September 7, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I love ladybugs, so I had to check out your page..then come to find you name is the same as mine too! I also have a reading binder, sub binder and more in my store, plus lots of freebies. I do a 10 weekly teacher finds on my blog too. In addition, I have writing prompt cards for writing sticks with an adorable ladybug theme actually.

Your blog is great and I love the design. Thanks for the ideas and tipss!

Take a Walk on the Teaching Side

My Teachers Pay Teachers Store

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram