Must-Haves for Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop!

August 9, 2012

Must-Haves for Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop!

August 9, 2012
Hi! I am linking up with Lindsay from My Life as a Third Grade Teacher for her first linky party (and it’s a good one!)…
This is something I love to think about–and talk about! And make things for!
Here are some of the most important materials I need for my students in both workshops…
A classroom library featuring a wide selection of reading.

Since I teach newcomer ELL students in grades 4 and 5, I really need a variety of texts to reach all learners in my classroom…from those just learning to read for the first time to the students reading closer to grade level.
I like to have several different options for my students. So we have a leveled section, a genre section, and a section of books sorted by subject (nonfiction topics, such as “marine life” and “sports”).
Storage for Reading Materials
I know I just talked about our Reading Drawers the other day, so I won’t go on about them again. I’m really looking forward to using them this year!

Reading Strategies on Display

Long before I was working with an actual Reader’s Workshop model, I was reading and practicing away at the wonderful strategies in The CAFE Book. Since then, I’ve been tweaking and adapting it a bit to fit the needs of my students and to work within our Reader’s Workshop. Having those reading strategies visible makes such a difference!

Space for Anchor Charts

Ok, it would probably make more sense to say the anchor charts themselves, but I don’t have any yet since school hasn’t started. I save a huge bulletin board space in my classroom for our anchor charts (this goes for Writer’s Workshop as well).

Comfortable Reading Nooks
I was really fortunate to have received a huge carpet featuring the flags of the world from Donors Choose. It is the center of the classroom and a favorite place to read.
I also like to have a couple of small carpets and pillows in different areas, so the students can have space throughout the room when reading independently.

(Those pillows have pretty much had it but I am in love with my new brightly-colored chevron carpets!!! Thanks Alisha and Ginger!!)
Reader’s and Writer’s Binders
We use these binders are for our Reader’s Responses, writing pieces, reading logs, graphic organizers, and more. For me, these are some of the most important tools for both workshops.
I’m in the process of setting these up as we speak (well, we’re not really talking but you know what I mean!). Last year, I used separate binders for the two workshops, but I am merging them into one binder for this year’s class.
I’m working on some additional sections for them this year–more to come on that later!
And that’s about it! What are some of your must-haves for Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop? Thanks Lindsay, for a wonderful linky party!!

• Mrs. Patton August 9, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Great ideas, thanks! I absolutely adore your Alphabet, too!

Colleen Patton
    Mrs. Patton’s Patch

• Ginger Snaps August 9, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Loving that carpet!! 😉 Can't wait to see the finished genre cards! I bet they are fab! =) I am going to be adding some fun new things I made to my blog tonight! YAY! I finally feel like I'm making progress!

Ginger Snaps

• Amanda August 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I'm combining my reading and writer's notebooks into one literacy binder this year too. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm one of your newer followers. 🙂

Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts August 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Oh my goodness- I want to be a kid in your class! Everything looks sosososo wonderful and I can't wait to see more about your binders- that's already on the list for next year, I think 🙂

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Lindsay August 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm

So excited that you linked up! Thank you! Love your ideas. I wish I was as organized as you are!

• Ximena August 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I love the carpet!! I am running to get one. Can't wait to see more pictures. My school ran out of bulletin paper, so I am going to buy some over the weekend. I am e-mailing pictures as soon as I can.

• Kristen August 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I'm looking forward to it Ximena!!! 🙂

• Reagan Tunstall August 9, 2012 at 10:24 pm

It's all so wonderful!

• Mrs. Cupcake August 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Ah that carpet! I've seen it everywhere!!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Tonya August 10, 2012 at 12:31 am

I too am merging my reading and writing binders! I can't wait to see what you have planned:)

Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

• Holly August 10, 2012 at 1:18 am

I think I need to stop looking…my heart is beating a 1,000,000 beats a minute…I haven't been into my classroom yet, and I just don't know if I can live up to your cuteness!!! 😉

Loving it all..and I have that beloved carpet now too! Mwwwwah!

Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

• Sandy Fiorini August 10, 2012 at 1:54 am

What a great idea to merge reading and writing workshop together in one binder. I also like your book drawer idea. I will have to remember that one.

I also have the chevron carpet. I just love the colors.

Ms. Fiorini’s Stadium

• Elizabeth August 10, 2012 at 2:42 am

Wonderful ideas, Kristrn. I love the rug:)
    Elizabeth

• Elizabeth August 10, 2012 at 2:43 am

Oh you terrible iPad… I clearly know how to spell your name. I swear 🙂
    Sorry, Kristen.
    E

• Alisha August 10, 2012 at 3:49 am

Your room looks fantastic! So glad you found the fabulous rug!

• Muggy Pierfelice August 10, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Hi Kristen! I am trying to make a CRAFT board but mine is using different letters. "I CAN!" so I can't use your letters. When you bought the circles were you able to easily put letters on them?

• Kristen August 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Yup, I just used powerpoint and created a textbox over the circle. 🙂

• YoungTeacherLove August 11, 2012 at 12:22 am

Oh my goodness Kristen!! I have the SAME rug!! I am doing a black/neon theme this year, and I got the rug last week at Big Lots!! Ha!! Too funny!! Your picture taking skills make it look so cute and cozy!

Young Teacher Love 5th Grade Blog

• teaching fashionista August 11, 2012 at 11:16 am

Kristen..Everything looks amazing! I've been thinking about purchasing the draws, they look so nice and neat!

• primary practice August 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Kristen… that rug! Yes, I ran to Big Lots today and.,,got it! Not only that, but by coincidence, it was Teacher Discount Day, so it was 10% off. Not a deep discount, but something anyway- $17.10 {totally worth it}.

Love your bright and colorful room! I don't use a specific "theme", but I use bright and colorful in my classroom, too!

Patti
    primary practice

• Carmen August 12, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Kristen I had to go and buy that rug immediately! I am a first year teacher and I was able to get so many ideas and organization tricks from your blog! Also, I am only teaching 4th grade writing and reading so many of these ideas will be put into use!! Thanks again!!!

Carmen

• Kristen August 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Carmen, your comment made me so happy, thank you!! I'm so glad some of it could be a help and may you have a WONDERFUL first year!!!

• Stacy August 14, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I shared your blog with my colleagues and we all just love your CRAFT board and are planning to use your idea with our students. Thank you so much for sharing all of your ideas!
    Stacy

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram