An updated free file and a new store!

August 10, 2012

An updated free file and a new store!

August 10, 2012
Happy Friday!! I’m sharing an updated free file this evening. I’ve had some very nice requests to add some additional numbers to the files I shared in my Reading Drawers post. After reading how large some of the class sizes are, how I could I say no?? So, I hope these can be of use to some of you.
This file is now updated in my Teachers Notebook Shop and…

also in my new TpT store! I followed the advice of a very esteemed blog friend and opened one earlier this week. It’s slowly gaining printables and this file was my first freebie shared in the store!

These buttons will take you directly to the file, for easy downloading…

Thank you for stopping by! 🙂

• Lita Lita August 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I am your newest follower and already exploring your store. 🙂
    Lita

• Courtney August 10, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Yeah! I am so glad you are on TPT Kristen! You will do great!

Swimming into Second

• Kathy August 10, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Congrats on the NEW store! You will do well!

Kathy
    First Grade a la Carte

• Laurie August 11, 2012 at 12:11 am

Congrats on the new store!! I'll be checking it out.

Laurie

• Emily August 11, 2012 at 1:05 am

Oh my stars! I feel very guilty when I say that there are 18 kids on my class list…

I love that you opened a TPT shop! Just in time for the BIG SALE! =)

Emily @ Second Grade Silliness

• Lisa R. August 11, 2012 at 1:45 am

I'm so excited that you are on TPT!! You are going to do great!!! 🙂
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

• Kimberly Santana August 11, 2012 at 2:00 am

You're going to do so well on TpT!!!!

Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

• Tania August 11, 2012 at 2:46 am

42 kiddos???!!! i feel horrible confessing I only have 21.
    tania
    My Second Sense

• Miss Nelson August 11, 2012 at 3:08 am

Yay! Congrats. I LOVE tpt.

• Heather Arbuckle August 11, 2012 at 3:10 am

I have to agree..42 is a TON! I could not imagine! These are wonderful though! Thank you!

Heather
    Sensational Seconds

• Cynthia August 11, 2012 at 3:46 am

Thank you so much for adding higher numbers. I'm sure I will have more than 30 2nd graders this year!

• Elizabeth August 11, 2012 at 5:06 am

Kristen~You go, girl. You will sell a ton on TPT 🙂 Hope your week was a great one.

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Kristina Wing Plattner August 11, 2012 at 5:18 am

You are a good share-er. Thank you. 🙂

• Mrs. M August 11, 2012 at 11:08 am

YAY! I'm so excited your on TpT now 🙂

Color Me Kinder

• Nancy August 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I really like your materials. Glad you are now on TPT. Your products will sell!
    Nancy

• 4321Teach August 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Cute signs! Excited you are now on TPT. Just an FYI, some how my blog didn't update on your blog roll. My co-blogger and I are hosting our first linky party. Hopefully you will stop by and check it out!

EmilyK

• Janis Leach August 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

THANK YOU!! I had 40 for reading last year so the intensive students could have a smaller student teacher ratio….so these are perfect!!

Grade Three is the Place for Me!

• Diane August 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Thank you for adding more numbers. I had 32 last year and am afraid it's the way things are going in my district since they cut over 250 teachers a year ago. I really appreciate you adding more numbers. These are so wonderful!

Just to let you know . . . when I went to TN there were only 30 numbers, but TPT has 42. I will look forward to shopping for your things at both places.

The Teacher's Jungle

• Althea August 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Kirstin,
    I need another tutorial. I can't add my blog to my TPT store. I went to where the personal quote is because that looks like where everyone else puts theirs. It does not allow a link. Can you clue me in, please.

• Kristen August 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Hey Althea, will do one on that next! 🙂

• Clutter-Free Classroom August 14, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I'm finally getting caught up on blog reading and am thrilled to see your selling on TPT now. I'm sure you'll do amazing. And now I'm off to read about 15 posts I've missed from you. I kind of feel lucky though. It's like when I get backlogged on favorite DVRed shows. Hope you've had a great summer! 🙂 Jodi

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram