Yearbook Printable!

June 17, 2012

Yearbook Printable!

June 17, 2012
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, especially my dad!! (He doesn’t read this, but I talk to him endlessly about blogging so I’ll let him know!).

So, this afternoon I whipped up a little project for the last week of school and wanted to share…

Many of you know I teach both 4th and 5th graders–and that means our last week of school tends to be very busy with different grade level activities. Especially for the 5th graders! Since they are graduating this week they have a fieldtrip, a special lunch, class T-shirts, and a lovely yearbook.
My 4th graders always feel a bit left out. I know that some of them will get the same lovely treatment next year and I tell them that but that’s not the case for all of them.

Since my class is for newcomer English Language Learners, not all of my students will be returning next year…they have acquired enough English to move on. So that means several of my 4th graders are heading to mainstream classes and back to their neighborhood schools.
Those are the guys I feel bad for–they’re leaving but without the closure of a graduation!
And, this year, I have a mostly 4th grade class. So…I decided we would work on yearbooks of our own together, while the 5th graders are out for various activities 🙂
I realize many of you have finished your school year, so I’m including the covers shown above, as well as ones for next year…
(just in case you’d like to tuck it away for next May/June). The covers feature two different color choices (that fancy swirly line is for their names!).
The inside pages print in black and white and can be photocopied, to save ink. I’m printing out some favorite photos (2″ by 3″, to save paper and ink). Then I’ll cut them with the paper cutter and let my 4th graders choose their favorite pics, glue them in, write up their favorite moments, and color in the template…

I’m thinking it will be about 4 or 5 pages of different memories (field trips, Field Day, salmon release, state projects…).

I added a different page template too, for traditional 4″ by 6″ photos, in case you’d rather use larger pics for your class (I’m being thrifty right now, so maybe I’ll do that next year!!).

I also threw in a page for friends’ signatures, so they can join in on that fun on the last day of school when the 5th graders get their official yearbooks…

And that’s it! A pretty easy project (I think!). I hope it will be a nice keepsake for my sweet 4th graders who are moving on. And I hope you can use this yourself…let me know if you can!
Does your school make yearbooks? For all of the grades or just for your graduating class?

• Courtney Bartlett June 17, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Enjoy your last week of school! I love this memory book. Amazing as always!

Swimming into Second

• Suzy Q June 17, 2012 at 10:29 pm

So cute…and I am all about thrifty!

• YearntoLearn June 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Just perfect! Thank you.

Yearn to Learn Blog

• Kim June 17, 2012 at 10:48 pm

What a nice treat, Dear Kristen!

We used to have a yearbook… but it was so labor-intensive (both design and sales),that all of the committee members gave up. Each year, the kids ask "Why don't we have a yearbook?" I think we all miss it…

I love what you have shared–it's the perfect compromise!
    Thanks for always being so sweet and so INCREDIBLY generous with your time and resources.

I'm cheering for you to finish your school year!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Jennifer Tilton June 17, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Our school has a school-wide yearbook. In my class we create a Memory book which is similar to your Yearbook. I love the cover-thank you for sharing it!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

• Kate June 17, 2012 at 11:54 pm

This is great! Thanks Kristen! We have a yearbook that includes all grades, but it's a bit pricey in my opinion ($20 I think?). I always feel bad for the students whose parents do not buy them a year book, so I always have a memory book that all students can use! Yours will be a great addition for next year!

Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

• Anonymous June 18, 2012 at 12:28 am

Love it!! Thank you!

• amy June 18, 2012 at 1:36 am

This is so creative! What a great idea. I will keep this in mind for next year. Thank you for sharing.
    Amy K.
    Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

• Mrs. Cupcake June 18, 2012 at 1:53 am

LOVE, as always!!!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Ms. W June 18, 2012 at 2:01 am

I was the creator of our school-wide yearbook for 3 years and it was way too labor intensive. During my first few years of teaching I made memory books similar to this. It is definitely a great keepsake and is more meaningful for kids than the purchased one because they get to make it! Five years ago I started to make video yearbooks for my class. I use Movie Maker or iMovie to create a slide show of all the photos I took during the year. We watch the video on the last day of school and I have a DVD copy of the show for each of my students as a keepsake. Usually I even make a small video of the kids being silly to a song like the Monkees Theme. This is one of my favorite end-of-year activities, and when I taught 6th grade I usually have emotional kiddos (even the boys!).

Upper Grades Are Awesome

• Elizabeth June 18, 2012 at 3:58 am

I love this, Kristen. I'm definitely tucking it away for next year. Enjoy your last few…….

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Ms.M June 18, 2012 at 4:25 am

Your so thoughtful and fabulous. I am deff saving the 2012/13 copy for next year. 🙂

M

• Kendel June 18, 2012 at 7:30 am

Thank you for sharing this wonderful resource! I cannot wait to use it with my class. One request- I work in a British International school; is it possible to get a copy where favorite is spelled 'favourite'? Silly British spellings! 😉 Thanks!

• Kelley Cirrito June 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I have already printed this and filed it away for next year!! 😉

• Kelly T. June 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I love this! What font did you use for the "Yearbook" words? I can't find it from the names of the links you gave. Thanks!!
    Kelly

• Kristen June 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hi Kelly, it's Scruffy Angel by Sweet Shoppe Designs 🙂

• VickyVinas July 5, 2012 at 4:14 am

Love the idea of a memory book and I so wanted to do it this year with my kinders but it so did not work out. Next year I will make sure that I make some time the last week to create one. I love your cover format. 🙂

Victoria
    themadnessthatiskindergarten.blogspot.com

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram