Organizing blog posts with thumbnail galleries!

April 23, 2012

Organizing blog posts with thumbnail galleries!

April 23, 2012

Hey guys! I hope you are all having a nice weekend! I’m a lucky girl right now–I’m on vacation this week!! And, like any obsessed-with-my-blog-teacher, I’ve been using some of my free time to work on things for my blog!

And one thing in particular that I’ve been working on lately is my organization on here.
As my blog grows, I feel it becomes more and more challenging to display past posts. I want my blog to ultimately be a useful resource–easy to navigate and find things. But the nature of a blog means you have to keep digging back through those older posts to find more. And that must get so tiring for readers!
I actually started dwelling on this last July and decided to use InLinkz (that fab link collection tool a lot of us use for linky parties) to catalog my files. But I didn’t end up sticking with it because I didn’t love the look of the links on my blog and they weren’t too many options to play with…you kind of just kept adding a link and couldn’t change the layout or order of them.
So, this weekend, I thought I would try again and perhaps start building a gallery myself (ugh, the mere thought of that makes me exhausted). Out of curiosity (and a bit of desperation) I decided to visit InLinkz again, to see if I could tweak it to make it work for my idea.
And…
I found they had created a tool to do just what I had hoped for!!! It is called “The Link Manager” and it is FREE!! How I adore that word!
Once you click on The Link Manager, you will be taken to a wonderful video explaining all of the features of this incredible tool and how to get started…
Then you can sign up! I did need a coupon code to use this tool…I found one right here on this lovely blog: Paper Crafts by Laurel. Once I entered the code, I was good to go!
I am currently sorting all of my free files, by category. So, instead of clicking on my Files page and reading back and back to find all the files I’ve shared over the years…
…you can see them altogether, on one page, to choose what you would like to read/download! Here are some previews of how they look so far…
I have about 120 free files, so it will take me some time to finish…but at least I have a bit of a start!
Here’s what’s really cool about The Link Manager:
  • It’s really easy to add and organize links…just name them, add a URL, and upload an image. You can use an image from a URL, from your computer, or from a webpage. (I made mine circular, ’cause you all know how I love my circles!)
  • It’s easy to maneuver the thumbnails. Don’t like the order? No problem! You can arrange the order of the images in any way you’d like (I tried to put my more popular ones from Pinterest first in each category).
  • It’s adaptable! You can choose the images you’d like, the size of the images, whether or not to display text links below them, or not even use thumbnails at all, just text only! There are so many choices to make it work for your blog.
I am beyond excited about this, really!! Now I feel like I can still enjoy the ease of use that comes with my blog, while making it have the functionality of a website–and I’m hoping it will really make everything much easier for my readers because you are why I blog!

So…what do you think? Will you try this on your blog?? I’m thinking it would be great for freebies, photos, shop items–the possibilities are endless! I hope this was of help and it is something you may like to try! 🙂

• Amber April 23, 2012 at 12:13 am

So cool and helpful- THANKS!

✰Amber
    Sparkles , Smiles, and Student Teaching

• Anonymous April 23, 2012 at 12:17 am

This is a great tool. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

• Ms. Patterson April 23, 2012 at 12:18 am

As always this is freakin' amazing!!!!

I have to try this but I dont think I will be tackling this anytime soon

• Sarah April 23, 2012 at 12:33 am

Wow! This is genius! How organized and fun. I don't have too many files on my blog yet, but this is something to keep in mind in the future. 🙂

Sarah
    funintitlemath.blogspot.com

• S. Parker April 23, 2012 at 12:34 am

Wow! I love the visuals. Now, I just wish I was as uber organized as you are.

• sydney April 23, 2012 at 12:36 am

You constantly amaze me. By comparison I will always feel like a slacker. haha

• Barbara April 23, 2012 at 12:37 am

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I think I might do the same this summer.

❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

• Tessa April 23, 2012 at 12:39 am

I love it! I think I will tackle that this summer!

Tessa

• Molly April 23, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hi Kristen!

I love this! They look great and I love the circles too! Thanks so much for sharing! This is definitely something that I would love to use once I have more files up on my blog!

Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

• Tara April 23, 2012 at 12:51 am

I love this and have a great idea…..I am technology challenged in a few areas and you are not so you can do my stuff for me!! LOL! Oh how I wish!! You come up with the most amazing things!!! I will try this….not sure when but you will know cuz I will be emailing you for help!!! This is awesome, thanks for sharing and enjoy your vaca!!

4th Grade Frolics

• Lori Rosenberg April 23, 2012 at 12:57 am

Sounds like the perfect summer project! I love technical things like this! Thanks so much for sharing the links. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
    Teaching With Love and Laughter

• Tania Knapp April 23, 2012 at 1:09 am

I LOVE these thumbnails…supercute!

Officially became your latest follower using Google friend (even though I have been following you using Reader).
    Come and check out my Dr. Jean giveaway!
    My Second Sense

• Kelley Cirrito April 23, 2012 at 1:28 am

I love this!! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try this out when I have extra time!! Enjoy your week off!

• Kristin April 23, 2012 at 1:51 am

Absolutely I will try this!!!!! 🙂
    Most likely, not till Summer, though.
    You are a genius. Thank you for sharing! I think your thumbnails look great and I love that they are CIRCLES!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Jamie April 23, 2012 at 1:56 am

As others have said, you are amazing! Thanks for sharing! I don't have any files to share yet, but I will definitely check this out. I will use it once I get creative. This will make a great summer project-especially since we just adopted a new LA curriculum. I am hoping to start creating some files to go with it.
    Thanks, again, Kristen! You are a Rockstar!!

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron April 23, 2012 at 2:03 am

oh wow – will you do a repost during summer to remind us all!?! ha!!

• Mrs. Coe April 23, 2012 at 3:44 am

I just pinned this for my board and I will pin for TBA! You are just amazing.

• Melissa, DillyDabbles April 23, 2012 at 4:03 am

Oh my goodness! New summer project. Thanks for sharing!

DillyDabbles

• Reagan Tunstall April 23, 2012 at 12:30 pm

OH MY GOODNESS…
    THERE GOES MY FIRST MONTH OF SUMMER! I can't wait to sit down and do this!!!! As always you are my GURU of bloggy technology!

• Maria April 23, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Ah!!! I am so IN LOVE with your post and this idea. Thank you so much for sharing. I sense a big project in my future. You know… after I get through the other 50 items on my list!

Maria
    Kinder-Craze

• ~Stephanie Moorman April 24, 2012 at 12:39 am

OOOHHHH….that is really useful. You always have the best bloggy tech tips. Thank you!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Edana April 24, 2012 at 11:16 am

WOW! This looks amazing! I would love to start but would not even know where to begin! I agree with Stephanie, you always have the best tips 🙂
    thanks so much for sharing!!

Color Me Kinder

• Miss J April 24, 2012 at 11:18 pm

How did you make the circles? I watched the original tutorial and they are just the image. Thanks.

Miss J

Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

• Ms.M April 26, 2012 at 1:48 am

You know you are bloody brilliant! 🙂

• Mor Zrihen April 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I LOVE this!!!! Def. an amazing tool! Thanks for the tip! Now I have plans fot this summer!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• Chrissy May 3, 2012 at 12:09 am

Wow! Good job! Your blog is a true resource :-).

• Beth June 13, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Kristen,
    Thanks for coming by to check out my new design. I think this summer is going to be all about organizing my blog so I will be back to check out these tutorials!
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

• Amber Leigh June 27, 2012 at 1:29 am

This is beyond awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!!

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram