New blog features around here!

April 24, 2012

New blog features around here!

April 24, 2012
Hey everyone! Well, I may have gotten a teeny bit carried away with those thumbnail galleries we were talking about the other day. But once I got started, I couldn’t stop!!!
I decided I wanted most of my pages to have this kind of feature, except for my home page, which features my latest posts as usual. So…most pages now have thumbnail galleries featuring posts under those given subjects/categories, like so:

I think it’s a cool way to navigate the blog–instead of going back to find older posts, you can now jump around to anything that may interest you! I’m really hoping this is a feature you might enjoy.

I am still adding to the galleries this week…I have many more posts to link up to these and it may take some time!

If you are interested in reading more about how to create these thumbnail galleries, please stop by this previous post: Organizing blog posts with thumbnail galleries

Ok, confession time. I am on vacation. I am AWAY on vacation. Nothing major, just a favorite location we love to visit. But I took my laptop. I just can’t leave it behind! In a way, I’m glad I did…it’s been pouring buckets here and my sister and I have nothing to do but watch movies, shop, and hang out (very relaxing!!). Do you take your laptop on vacation??

• Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts April 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm

ohmagoodness! I love it! I actually just found your Word Detectives posts with this handy new tool and I'm going to download them to use with my kiddos next year 🙂 Thank you so so much!

Oh, and I never go anywhere without my laptop, you just never know when you'll need it 😉

Have fun!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• Sarah Paul April 24, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Ooohhh! I love this! Thanks! 🙂
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

• Courtney Bartlett April 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Love this idea for keeping the blog organized! Thanks for sharing Kristen!

Swimming into Second

• Miss J April 24, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Love these!!!

Miss J

Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

• Mrs. Cupcake April 25, 2012 at 12:30 am

I love how you organize your blog! And yes I definitely take my laptop on vacay!!! Well, within the U.S., I do.
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Elizabeth April 25, 2012 at 12:46 am

You are so stinkin' organized. Want to come to my classroom?

Also-I sent you an email…disregard. I figured it out all by myself and I'm so proud of myself 🙂

I knew you would be the person to ask if I couldn't.

Have a great night!

Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

• Tara April 25, 2012 at 12:48 am

Ok friend…..since you're on vaca and I'm not…you can do my blog too right?? This is too cool and def. on my to do list….just may have to wait until school is out…orrrrrrrrr better yet, my baby is coming home from college next weekend…this sounds like a good project for her:))

4th Grade Frolics

• Kristin April 25, 2012 at 12:58 am

Can I please hire you to do those thumbnails for me??? You are so awesome! I love it!
    I wish I was on vacay. I NEED IT!!! 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Jen April 25, 2012 at 1:17 am

These are awesome! You are like an organizing superhero! 🙂
    ~Jen

Jen's Kinder Kids
    Please come by & visit! 🙂

• Ms.M April 26, 2012 at 1:50 am

I take my laptop everywhere. Am I obsessed or what? Lol.

• Mor Zrihen April 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I LOVE this feature!!! You're my blog guru!!! I'm off to read more about it 🙂

Thank you for all you share with all of us!!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram