Class News Sign

April 26, 2012

Class News Sign

April 26, 2012
So technically I’m on vacation. I should feel relaxed. But I guess my mind isn’t on vacation with the rest of me. I just can’t turn off the stream of school-related thoughts! I think it’s because the year is winding down–and quickly.

Plus I made the mistake of flipping through my calendar to review the major events for the rest of the year and completely freaked myself out–it’s a scheduling nightmare!

I knew there was only one way to calm myself down. Make a sign!

So this little sign will be on display when we get back, along with our calendar of events and any important information the students need to know (test dates, fieldtrip forms, project rubrics, etc.). I know, I’m bad for not doing this all year, but wall space becomes taken up quickly by so many other things! I’m hoping this will help my students and I stay on track in the remaining seven (SEVEN??–where did this year go?!?) weeks.

I hope some of you can use this too! 🙂

• FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) April 26, 2012 at 12:11 am

Super cute!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

• Dana April 26, 2012 at 12:18 am

Kristen, this is adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Dana

• Erica Bohrer April 26, 2012 at 12:20 am

Love it!

• Gladys April 26, 2012 at 12:21 am

Love it! Enjoy the rest of your vacation! 🙂

• Kelley Cirrito April 26, 2012 at 1:34 am

Super cute!! This will really help my kids! Then they won't have to ask every two seconds when are we ____________!! 🙂

• Ms.M April 26, 2012 at 1:35 am

Long time no talk. I've missed you. Finally getting a chance to get on here and catch up. Love the new sign. 7 Weeks? I've got less than a month. Yikes!

• Mrs. Cupcake April 26, 2012 at 1:45 am

I love this!! Thanks girl!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Kristin April 26, 2012 at 2:24 am

You're the best! Thank you!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• thepolkadotowl April 26, 2012 at 2:45 am

So very cute! Love the colors 🙂

• Kim April 26, 2012 at 2:49 am

Hi Kristen:

We have seven weeks too!
    I think I cannot turn off my brain because I am so busy planning things for NEXT year. (Too bad there are about 35 activities that I still need to plan and carry out THIS year)

I hope your mind will find its way to a bit of your vacation too…

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Runde's Room April 26, 2012 at 4:00 am

That is SOOOO cute!!! Think I'll have to find a way to squeeze it onto my limited wall space! Hope you're enjoying your vacay!!! (I still have 9 weeks to go …)

Jen
    Runde's Room

• Kellie April 26, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Adorable! Great job and many thanks for sharing 🙂

• Jaycee Weaver and Lohren Nolan April 27, 2012 at 12:15 am

Love the sign! So cute! We only have 5 weeks left and I can't believe how fast this year went! I love your blog and would love if you could come follow my very new blog!

totallyterrificteachingtools.blogspot.com

Lohren Nolan

• HERE I AM KAYCEE April 27, 2012 at 5:51 am

Dear Kristen, How are you? I love the sign you made. I was wondering if you could help me out? I have a question, which I know will sound silly to some. My son wrote a homework piece about the Emu. The teacher corrected the spelling (several times), from emu's, to emus. To the best of my understanding I always thought that any plural form of a word was spelt with an apostrophe and then an 's'. Can you please help me? Thank you, Kerrie

• Ginger Snaps April 30, 2012 at 1:07 am

I would love a tutorial on how to make a picture fill up the font like that! Love it! Very cute! I have about a month left now with testing next week!! Yikes!

• Cindy in Wisconsin April 30, 2012 at 2:08 am

Thank you so much, Kristen! Great sign! I know I will get good use out of this.

• Emily May 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Thank you! I have had your sign above my laminated calendar. Now I don't even need to switch my month signs every month. Less work! Thanks again. 🙂

• Karen Stamp May 25, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Simply adorable!!
    Thanks,
    Karen :o)
    Mrs. Stamp's Kindergarten

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram