Blog Changes!

April 8, 2012

Blog Changes!

April 8, 2012
Hey everyone! It feels like an eon since I’ve been on here!! We’re busy at school prepping for a huge literacy night and it is starting to take over EVERYTHING!!! I did manage to upload the beginnings of a new design that I’ve been working on in bits and pieces for a long while now…
You’ll be seeing some more changes to the blog over the coming days and weeks (if I can get on the Internet!!!). I hope things will be a little cleaner and easier to find as I wrap up the new design. Ok, off to catch up with my DVR and the blogs–thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• Jill April 8, 2012 at 12:49 am

Wow!!! It looks so different!! But super cute obvi. 🙂

Marvelous Multiagers!

• FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) April 8, 2012 at 12:51 am

Very cute!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

• Leslie @KindergartenWorks April 8, 2012 at 12:51 am
  • Miss T April 8, 2012 at 12:53 am
  • Mrs. Lamb April 8, 2012 at 12:53 am

it is absolutely GORGEOUS! wow~

• Mrs. McKown April 8, 2012 at 12:54 am

Love it Kristen! Love the ladybugs and the fonts!
    I, too, will be catching up on my DVR and blogs tonight!!

❤Mrs. McKown
    Little Literacy Learners

• 3rd Grade Thoughts April 8, 2012 at 12:54 am

Ooo, I really like it!!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

• 3rd Grade Thoughts April 8, 2012 at 12:55 am

…and I LOVE the doodles that show up when you hover over the menu! CUTE!

• Kelley Cirrito April 8, 2012 at 12:54 am

I LOVED it!! The colors are perfect! I can't wait to see the rest of the changes!

• Anonymous April 8, 2012 at 12:56 am

I love the new look!

• Terri Thornton April 8, 2012 at 1:01 am

So adorable 🙂 Love it!

• Ms.M April 8, 2012 at 1:02 am

Oooo, I love it so far! I have been MIA too. Miss you.

• Courtney Bartlett April 8, 2012 at 1:05 am

Love it! Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Swimming into Second

swimmingintosecond@att.net

• Mor Zrihen April 8, 2012 at 1:11 am

It looks amazing!!!! I love it!!!! Congrats on the makeover!!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• Emily April 8, 2012 at 1:49 am

As a ladybug lover, I ADORE it. =)

Emily @ Second Grade Silliness

• Annie Moffatt April 8, 2012 at 2:05 am

I LOVE it! So clean, so simple, so pretty! Everything you do is so…perfect:)

• S. Parker April 8, 2012 at 2:25 am

These are my favorite color combos. Did you draw the design?

• Kathy April 8, 2012 at 2:26 am

Looks good Kristen!

Kathy
    First Grade a la Carte

• Mrs. Cupcake April 8, 2012 at 2:38 am

LOVE the new design!! Can't wait to see what else you come up with 🙂
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Dual Kinder Teacher April 8, 2012 at 2:57 am

I have to agree, love the clean, bright, cute look 🙂
    ☼Libby
    Dual Kinder Teacher

• Kristin April 8, 2012 at 3:00 am

Loving what I see so far!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
    You're the cutest!!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• ~Stephanie Moorman April 8, 2012 at 3:17 am

So different, but I totally LOVE it!!!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• YearntoLearn April 8, 2012 at 3:37 am

Love the new look!

Yearn to Learn Blog

• Lesson Plans and Lollipops April 8, 2012 at 3:48 am

I love the new look!

• Barbara April 8, 2012 at 4:20 am

I like the clean look. Very nice:) Happy Easter !

Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

• Beth Ann April 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

Kristen,
    It's so cute! Nice job!
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    bakteach16@gmail.com

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron April 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm

love it!!

♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

• Tricia April 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Beautiful. You are so gifted and talented.

Tricia

• Beth April 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I love it! I have been blog design shopping for awhile now…since I am not as talented in the HTML department as you…soon maybe!
    Great work!
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

• Lovely Nina April 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Love your new design!! 🙂
    -Lovely Nina

Lovely Little Learners

• Ginger Snaps April 8, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Loving the new blog design!! =)

• Sunny April 8, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Super cute!

• Sarah Paul April 9, 2012 at 3:04 am

You are fabulous! I've been using PowerPoint for a while but I definitely learned some new tricks here! Thank you so much!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

• koankai April 11, 2012 at 3:39 am

Thanks Kristen for this tutorial. I've always heard powerpoint is so much easier but never figured it out. I am still using Microsoft Word to create worksheets so I can't wait to use your tutorial with my mac!

• Annie Moffatt April 11, 2012 at 5:38 am

Okay…I am actually making my first powerpoint printable and it is so much easier than Word…so far:) I think you should have a DONATE button because I would TOTALLY donate money for your awesome and VERY helpful tutorials:)

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram