Salmon Life Cycle poster & worksheets

March 3, 2012

Salmon Life Cycle poster & worksheets

March 3, 2012
Have you guys met Nikki over at MelonHeadz Illustrating yet?? I know many of you have but if you have not, you must run over to her blog right now!

Nikki is a very gifted artist who designs clipart and kindly lets teachers use them in files to share or sell. Want to know something even better??

She takes requests!

I asked Nikki if she could design clipart featuring Atlantic Salmon at the various life stages. (My class raises salmon from eggs to fry each year…you can see the previous post on this here, if you’d like). It truly is one of the projects of the year! The only downside is that it can be hard to find resources for newcomer ELL students in this area. There are some great ones out there, but not a ton and I’d like the chance to make some of my own for my students.

Thanks to Nikki’s incredible work, I’ll be able to do that! I can’t get over how wonderful her illustrations of the salmon are! Thanks Nikki!

So, I am sharing the Atlantic Salmon life cycle poster shown above. I know this is not something most of you need, but I’m hoping to place it out there in cyberspace for someone who might need it.

I do have something else to share that is more general and can hopefully be used by some of you–life cycle worksheets for students! There are several options, from more basic life cycles…
To the more complex ones…

I hope these can be used! And I hope a fellow Atlantic Salmon raiser/teacher can use that life cycle poster!!

Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

Atlantic Salmon Life Cycle poster
Life Cycle worksheets

• A Teacher's Treasure March 4, 2012 at 12:37 am

Wow! I love the illustrations! What a fun project for your kiddos!

I gave your blog an award!!!
    Come grab it http://www.ateacherstreasure.com/2012/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• Barbara March 4, 2012 at 12:44 am

These are great, Kristen, thanks! We study the Pacific salmon, but it looks like their life cycle is the same — ha ha!

❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

• Kristin March 4, 2012 at 2:35 am

Love Nikki!!! She can make salmon look cute!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Thanks for the freebies – I think I can adapt one! 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Reagan Tunstall March 4, 2012 at 2:58 am

oh no! I can't comment!
      I will just barge on in to Kristin's…
      I love those salmon and your lifecycle blackline too! Nikki is super sweet. We go WAY back…to like last month. 🙂
      Now I want to see if she has frogs, ladybugs, and butterfly life cycles!!!

• Rachelle March 4, 2012 at 3:29 am

I can't comment either! I'll just barge in on Kristin and Reagan's comments! 🙂

I love Nikki so much!!!!! She is doing requests left and right and she is so talented. Who knew fish eggs could look cutesified? HA!

How fun is that project! You are such a great teacher!!!!!!!!!

• Jill March 4, 2012 at 5:18 am

I can comment!!

The salmon life cycle clip art is SO CUTE! And I am super scared of fish. Thanks for the life cycle sheet; I can definitely use it! 🙂

Marvelous Multiagers!

• Angela March 4, 2012 at 9:13 am

We raise salmon at our school and then the 4th & 5th graders release them into the wild (A benefit to living in Seattle, for sure!). I absolutely loved teaching about salmon in 2nd grade, visiting their redds to watch them die (sounds morbid, but it's truly fascinating) and doing native plant restoration creek side with my students. I love teaching Kindergarten, I do, but I miss getting deep into such things like I could with 2nd and up… Thanks for the printables! I'm def. going to share them with our Intermediate team!

• Tara March 4, 2012 at 10:23 am

Sure you got this already but love ya and am adding mine:)

I love your blog and gave it an award:) Pop by to check it out:)

4th Grade Frolics

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron March 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

these are perfect! my friend and I were just talking about how kids think that only frogs and butterflies have life cyles!! lol

♥ Jen
    The Teachers' Cauldron

• Reagan Tunstall March 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Ok this time it let me!!! It is probably my issue.
    And I have another issue. I can't update my bloglist anymore. It says saving but it won't ever actually save. I have done it 30 times. I have 30 more blogs to add to my bloglist now but it won't work. Any ideas? I contacted them but they haven't responded and it has been almost a week.

• Kristen March 4, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I'm coming over to your blog so you'll see my comment!

• Jenn Bates March 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

We raise salmon at our school, too! The 5th graders get to go on a field trip to release them. Thanks!
    Jenn
    Jenn
    Finally in First

• Tanya March 4, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I love your blog! I am awarding you the Lovely Blog Award!
    ☺ Tanya
    First Grade is Fantabulous!

• Anonymous March 20, 2012 at 2:38 am

This is so cute! Love the colors and darling graphics. Thanks so much. 🙂

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram