Contraction Confections Game

March 31, 2012

Contraction Confections Game

March 31, 2012
Happy Saturday everyone! I just finished up a new game for my students. We’ve been working on contractions in class this past week and I wanted to make something fun for them to practice various contractions.
This game is played a lot like Memory, but has a little twist…
If a player turns over a card with a two, they try to find its match (ok, so that’s typical).
If a player turns over a card with a three, they get two tries to find matching cards to form a trio (for contractions that can have two different word combinations, as shown below)…
There are 110 playing cards in all (47 different contractions) so I actually printed out one game and split it in half to have two games to play in class, with larger groups of students.
If you would like to see more about this game, I have listed it in my Teacher’s Notebook shop for $2.00. If you’d like to try for a free copy right now, I will email a game to the first 4 people to leave a comment, with an email address.
Thank you for stopping by my blog…I look forward to catching up with everyone this weekend!! 🙂

• Tara March 31, 2012 at 10:38 pm

OH me oh me:)

• 3rd Grade Thoughts March 31, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Love it!!
    stephaniemvanhorn@gmail.com

Thanks and can't wait for my students to play asap!

• Ms. Yoshida March 31, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Love your activities! I am very excited about this one! Thank you!!

msyoshida@yahoo.com

• Kristen March 31, 2012 at 10:41 pm

That's 4, thank you for your interest ladies, I will send it over now! 🙂

• Miss J March 31, 2012 at 10:46 pm

How cute!! Bummer, I was too late. Thanks for sharing and I definitely will go check it out on TPT!!

Miss J
    Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

• Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies March 31, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Love all your stuff! I will go check out your game at your store 🙂
    ~Lorraine
    Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies
    rainee2011@gmail.com

• Courtney Bartlett March 31, 2012 at 10:54 pm

So cute! I love it all!

Swimming into Second

• tiffany March 31, 2012 at 11:00 pm

<3 the graphics!!! Super cute!

• Ms.M March 31, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I like it so much. 🙂 I will go pick up a copy later tonight.

• Mor Zrihen April 1, 2012 at 12:44 am

This is so cute!!! Love the clip art!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron April 1, 2012 at 12:59 am

how cute are those!! You are like the clip art trend setter – always finding cute clip art for us to go get! lol (shhh…I have something of an addiction, I think!)

♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

• tlroller April 1, 2012 at 1:00 am

SO cute! We are starting contractions next week and this would be perfect!

• Laura April 1, 2012 at 2:07 am

Very cute… your activities and creations are the best 🙂

• Mrs. Thiessen April 1, 2012 at 2:12 am

You are so creative and make such cute stuff,,,thanks!
    Robyn
    soaringthroughthird.blogspot.com
    mrstsgrade3sclassblog.blogspot.com

• Amanda April 1, 2012 at 2:35 am

Cute, Kristen! 🙂

• Kate April 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I want to teach the little kids so I can use these amazing games you make. Seriously…how cute is this?! You are the best!!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

• Mandy April 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm

This game is perfect! Thank you so much!
    Mandy

• Anonymous April 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm

love it! will you also be posting on tpt?
    tonipeterson1@yahoo.com

• Kristen April 1, 2012 at 3:09 pm

No I'm sorry Toni, I don't have a TpT store right now.

• skunkzgrl April 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Awesome Kristen! Love the clipart….so cute!

• Kelley Cirrito April 1, 2012 at 7:00 pm

These are great! I love all the bright colors! I hope you are having a great weekend!!

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron April 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Kristen..I have a few beach pics up today…just for you! 🙂

• Sara S. April 2, 2012 at 1:05 am

Love the bright colors! Also, what a cool twist on a memory game.

Sara 🙂
    Smiling In Second Grade

• Mrs. Mac April 3, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Rats, I missed it! 🙂 It looks adorable, Kristen! 🙂 Lisa quiltwoman0@gmail.com
    First Class with Mrs. Mac

• Kitty W April 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm

How do your store your games like this? I've been collecting several, but I'm just not sure how to organize them….

~Kitty
    The Write Handed Teacher

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram