Syllable Sort for spelling {printable}

February 27, 2012

Syllable Sort for spelling {printable}

February 27, 2012
Hi everyone! I wanted to share a little document that has helped my students a great deal with their spelling this year.

I think I’ve mentioned before how our new spelling series focuses a great deal on the syllables of each word…which is great because that is something I have always done with my ELL students.

The more we focus on syllables and the patterns of certain syllable sounds, the more my students progress in their spelling (which can be a challenge, since they are just learning the language, but working with words at a fourth and fifth grade level).

So, our spelling series comes with a sheet that helps the students break the words down by syllables…but I didn’t like the layout of it so I made my own version of it. Actually, a couple of different ones! This is the one we tend to use the most…

We also use the one with the four syllables as well (shown at the beginning of this post).

My newer, more limited English proficient students write the words from they spelling list, by syllable count. They do so by reading them aloud together in small groups…or they sometimes use the audio feature of Spelling City to hear unfamiliar words in English (LOVE that site!).

My students with more English proficiency sort the words and breaking them down by syllables as well, to see the parts of each word (tel-e-vi-sion). This helps them not only with their current words, but also to identify patterns among words they know and/or have already learned (like the “sion” ending).

We keep these in our binders, along with some other spelling graphic organizers we use each week when studying new spelling words and their features.

I thought it was something that could perhaps be used by others, so wanted to share it on here.

(I also made a one and two syllable sheet, for my primary friends)…
If you would like to download the file, you can access it at the bottom of this post. I hope it can be used!

On a separate note…have you heard about the party?? I mean the TPT Linky Party! It’s huge!! I don’t have a TPT store, but I am a BIG fan of many bloggers who do have them and I can’t wait for the sale. You probably have seen them around your blogroll. You can check out Reagan’s here at her blog, Tunstall’s Teaching Tidbits. So cool!

Ok…here’s the file! I hope you have a relaxing evening!

Syllable Sort

• Jennifer February 27, 2012 at 1:40 am

I love it. Thanks so much for sharing! I am not sure if I am allowed to pin it because of all the hullabaloo (I still have the Three Little Javelina's stuck in my head from AZ's 100th birthday. LOL!) I am sure going to be adding it to my centers though! Thanks! And I am heading over to Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits right now! As always… thanks for the amazing resources!

Empowering Little Learners!

Simply Centers

• Allison February 27, 2012 at 2:22 am

I love these! I think I may laminate them and use them for sorting during Literacy Stations. Thank you so much!!

• Ms.M February 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Super fab. I will be working on this soon. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Ms. Kerri's Krazy Kindergarten February 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for sharing these. We've been working on breaking words apart in syllables. I'm envisioning a word sort center for this.

• Lori February 28, 2012 at 12:10 am

Thank you so much for sharing your syllable sorts!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

• Anonymous March 9, 2012 at 6:05 pm

What an awesome blog you have! Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful resources with us.

• Jessica Heeren March 11, 2012 at 5:07 pm

This will be perfect for my spelling center! Thank you! 🙂

• Reagan Tunstall March 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hey there! It's been forever since I have talked with you! Just wanted to say hello! I never saw this post and also wanted to say thank you!!! wow! No wonder I had so many stats coming from your place! 🙂
    Happy Weekend

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram