Syllable Sort for spelling {printable}

February 27, 2012

Syllable Sort for spelling {printable}

February 27, 2012
Hi everyone! I wanted to share a little document that has helped my students a great deal with their spelling this year.

I think I’ve mentioned before how our new spelling series focuses a great deal on the syllables of each word…which is great because that is something I have always done with my ELL students.

The more we focus on syllables and the patterns of certain syllable sounds, the more my students progress in their spelling (which can be a challenge, since they are just learning the language, but working with words at a fourth and fifth grade level).

So, our spelling series comes with a sheet that helps the students break the words down by syllables…but I didn’t like the layout of it so I made my own version of it. Actually, a couple of different ones! This is the one we tend to use the most…

We also use the one with the four syllables as well (shown at the beginning of this post).

My newer, more limited English proficient students write the words from they spelling list, by syllable count. They do so by reading them aloud together in small groups…or they sometimes use the audio feature of Spelling City to hear unfamiliar words in English (LOVE that site!).

My students with more English proficiency sort the words and breaking them down by syllables as well, to see the parts of each word (tel-e-vi-sion). This helps them not only with their current words, but also to identify patterns among words they know and/or have already learned (like the “sion” ending).

We keep these in our binders, along with some other spelling graphic organizers we use each week when studying new spelling words and their features.

I thought it was something that could perhaps be used by others, so wanted to share it on here.

(I also made a one and two syllable sheet, for my primary friends)…
If you would like to download the file, you can access it at the bottom of this post. I hope it can be used!

On a separate note…have you heard about the party?? I mean the TPT Linky Party! It’s huge!! I don’t have a TPT store, but I am a BIG fan of many bloggers who do have them and I can’t wait for the sale. You probably have seen them around your blogroll. You can check out Reagan’s here at her blog, Tunstall’s Teaching Tidbits. So cool!

Ok…here’s the file! I hope you have a relaxing evening!

Syllable Sort

• Jennifer February 27, 2012 at 1:40 am

I love it. Thanks so much for sharing! I am not sure if I am allowed to pin it because of all the hullabaloo (I still have the Three Little Javelina's stuck in my head from AZ's 100th birthday. LOL!) I am sure going to be adding it to my centers though! Thanks! And I am heading over to Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits right now! As always… thanks for the amazing resources!

Empowering Little Learners!

Simply Centers

• Allison February 27, 2012 at 2:22 am

I love these! I think I may laminate them and use them for sorting during Literacy Stations. Thank you so much!!

• Ms.M February 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Super fab. I will be working on this soon. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Ms. Kerri's Krazy Kindergarten February 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for sharing these. We've been working on breaking words apart in syllables. I'm envisioning a word sort center for this.

• Lori February 28, 2012 at 12:10 am

Thank you so much for sharing your syllable sorts!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

• Anonymous March 9, 2012 at 6:05 pm

What an awesome blog you have! Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful resources with us.

• Jessica Heeren March 11, 2012 at 5:07 pm

This will be perfect for my spelling center! Thank you! 🙂

• Reagan Tunstall March 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hey there! It's been forever since I have talked with you! Just wanted to say hello! I never saw this post and also wanted to say thank you!!! wow! No wonder I had so many stats coming from your place! 🙂
    Happy Weekend

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram