Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop binder covers

February 5, 2012

Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop binder covers

February 5, 2012
Happy Superbowl Sunday!! While waiting for the game, I’ve been working on some items for my classroom.

We use binders in our class. A lot. And our Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops are no exception. I actually started out the year using composition notebooks, as suggested by the program we are following.

But as the year progressed, I realized how many times we utilize graphic organizers, reference materials, and rubrics in Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop…

…and how these resources are so much easier to store in a binder. So I got some new binders to store these materials specifically and whipped up some covers for them (I chose zebra ’cause it looks kind of composition-notebook-ish).

I’m hoping to show more of what we use inside our binders soon. But, in the meantime, I wanted to share the covers–in case anyone else could use them.

There are five different color options…
…and each cover has a white line at the bottom for student names.

And.

Just in case you’d like separate covers for the separate workshops…I made some of those as well…

I hope this is something that can be used, even if just saved for next year’s class.

Do you use folders, binders, notebooks, or a combination for your Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops?

And totally unrelated–are you watching the Superbowl?! For the game or the commercials?? GO PATRIOTS!!!!!

Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop cover
Reader’s Workshop cover
Writer’s Workshop cover

• A Teacher's Treasure February 5, 2012 at 10:34 pm

These are so cute!!! Thanks for sharing! You're so talented!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• Living a Wonderful Life February 5, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Awesome! Thank you for sharing 🙂 You are so creative!

I'm sure we'll have the Super Bowl on, but neither the hubby or I am very interested…Does that automatically revoke his man card?! We're just not big fans of the NFL and the team he likes isn't in it, so it's not a big deal for us.

Bonnie
    Living A Wonderful Life

• Amanda February 5, 2012 at 10:40 pm

LOVE THIS! I am so excited too since they will go with my zebra theme!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful resources!

• Kristin February 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm

These are super duper cute!!!!! LOVE them! Thanks for sharing! I use folders. Lots. I like your labels way way way more than mine. 🙂
    I watch the commercials. But I think our household will be going for the Patriots because of my husband's love for Tom Brady.
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Kelley Cirrito February 5, 2012 at 10:51 pm

These are great! I use folders for writers workshop so these are great!!! I am cheering for your Patriots!! I hope they win!!

• Courtney Bartlett February 5, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Love these! Thanks for the freebie. I'm watching for the football but I'm not really rooting for anybody. I love the Colts because of Peyton Manning so I guess I should root for Eli. I do love the commercials too! Have fun watching the game!

Swimming into Second

• Lydia M February 5, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Ohhh goodness!! I {LOVE} everything you do, but these are so very, very high on my list right now! Thank you so much for the freebie!! If only I can print them in color without my lovely husband finding out… 🙂 Not watching the Super Bowl here, too much grad school and regular school work to do. I'll catch commercial highlights tomorrow, I guess. Happy watching, and thanks again!

• Tara February 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Love these!!! You're awesome and so creative!! Thanks bunches for sharing!!!

4th Grade Frolics

• Annie Moffatt February 5, 2012 at 11:56 pm

These are so stinkin CUTE!!!

• Erika February 6, 2012 at 12:07 am

Love these! Can't wait for more on your binders.

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• Tania Knapp February 6, 2012 at 12:38 am

These are awesome! I use a folder for Writer's Workshop and a composition book for reader's workshop.
    Watching the game and typing 🙂

You rock!!!

• Janaye February 6, 2012 at 4:55 am

Totally cute!!

• Clutter-Free Classroom February 6, 2012 at 11:12 am

These are great. I'm wondering if it is something that could be printed by Vista Print when they do their huge summer sales. Filing it away. 🙂 Bummer about the Superbowl.

❤Jodi from…
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

• Kristen February 6, 2012 at 11:51 am

Ms. Apples and Amanda thank you!!!!! I am fixing the file!
    Kristen

• Kate February 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm

These are so cute! I wish I taught reading so I could use them 🙂
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

• Cooperative Learning 365 February 7, 2012 at 12:02 am

I use notebooks for Writing Workshop. I would LOVE to see how your binders are organized!

• Erica Bohrer February 7, 2012 at 2:05 am

They are beautiful!!!

• rayadair February 7, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Love the binder covers! So what I needed and the students will so love! Thanks.

• Shanna February 8, 2012 at 11:49 am

This just made my night, thank you!! 🙂

• Ms.M February 8, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Kristen, I have been so busy I have not had time to comment. I just wanted to share that these are darling, and I printed them out the other day. Thanks for sharing.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• skunkzgrl February 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Hi Kristen! I love your work..your ideas are amazing as well. You were the first blog I ever visited and you've inspired me to be so much organized than before. Thanks for sharing!

• Miller's Flip Flops February 20, 2012 at 4:49 am

Just a quick question. In the past if I wanted the kids to have the same notebook, I always bought them with my own money and left them off the student supply list. I actually didn't mind since I am kinda OCD about some things, lol. I have also found that the marbled journals don't lend themselves for reference pages and graphic organizers and end up stapling the sheets inside. With the notebooks, do you use page protectors for the reference pages and graphic organizers, and if so, do you supply them as they are needed? I was thinking that could be quite costly over time. With budget cuts, I don't think I could get my school to buy any. Since you have gone to these, about how many sheet protectors did your students need for the year? We are not allowed to ask our parents for supplies anymore either. Can you believe that???? I think that is mainly for hand sanitizer and kleenex type items, but if a student is constantly needing to use a class pencil or eraser, I still put it on their weekly report, just not in the newsletter. Crazy world of education we live in, lol…..

• Kristen February 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Hi!! I don't actually use sheet protectors. We have a rubric on caring for the binder and its contents, so the students are pretty careful of the pages. I suppose if I really wanted to protect something, I would just laminate the chart on the school laminator. I agree–the sheet protectors would become too costly over time! Thanks for stopping by, I hope that helps!

• Jenna March 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hi Kristen,
    I know you hear this all the time, but your blog is truly inspirational. It has opened up a whole new world for me and I can't stop thinking about how I am going to set up my own very soon! Like you, I am a very creative teacher with so much to share. I'm tired of keeping all my good ideas to myself! My question to you is, how to you make the things that you do look so wonderful? For example, how, exactly did you create the zebra binder covers. I realize that the zebra print was most likely a background, right? But then where did you find the scroll style font box and how did you put them together? As you can tell, I'm new at this. ANY tips would be VERY MUCH appreciated!! Maybe you can make a tutorial video for all of us! Thanks again for ALL that you do and share with the world. Teaching can be such an isolated profession, but people like you have changed that for sure!

• Sarah August 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Hi Kristen! I LOVE these binder covers!!! I'm doing a rock star theme this year and my colors are black/white zebra print, hot pink, and aqua. I am dying to know how to make one of these so I can make something similar for my lesson plan binder!!!!! Nobody I have asked can figure it out. Do you purchase your images as clipart somewhere or is it digital scrapbooking or what? Also, what is that cute design around the words called? Please help me! 🙂 Thank you! Sarah

• Sarah August 10, 2012 at 1:31 am

Oh, THANK YOU so much, Kristen!!!!!

• Rhiannon January 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm

These are fantastic! Do you have anything like this for math? Thank you for all of your hard work and creativity!!!
    Rhiannon

• Kristen January 13, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Thanks!! Sorry I don't this year, I've been using in all in one binder for my class. Thanks again!

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram