Publishing student books that last!

February 2, 2012

Publishing student books that last!

February 2, 2012
Hi everyone! We’ve been wrapping up our nonfiction reports and are in the final publishing stages (phew!). It’s been so fun to see how excited the students get when they see the final product!

We actually publish three to four books a year and I have tried a few different ways to make these books last. I mean, they really come out so beautifully and I hate to see them come apart over time.

One little thing that has worked really well is to laminate the stories. I use my little laminator at home (which I adore). I know it’s a bit pricey to buy those pockets, but I don’t mind for these big projects…the plastic is really strong and the pages can’t be bent so easily. The only downside is that it takes FOREVER to run those little sheets through. I’ve been working on this process for about five days now…I’m actually procrastinating right now by hanging out here, when I really should be laminating again. Nothing like writing about how great something is when you should be doing said thing instead. The beauty of teacher-blogging!

So, the laminating is something I’ve done for years–but there’s something way more exciting than that! And it’s going to solve a problem I’ve had for years!!

You know those comb bindings? The ones that look so nice when they are first attached, but start to come off the ends of the books as the kids are eagerly flipping through them? This usually takes place within the first five minutes of reading their treasured publications…

Then over time, the binding becomes bent and broken…

Well, it just hit me today! HOT GLUE!! (I am a trifle obsessed with hot glue. I use in on pretty much everything in the room…posters for the walls, signs on my plastic bins, anything I can’t really damage and that I want to last).

So I fired up my trusty glue gun and hot glued three of the prongs on one end of the binding…
And then the three prongs on the other end…
I pulled each prong up, put a dab of glue on it, then put the prong back under the comb thing where it’s supposed to be (but never stays!!). I didn’t burn myself either. I was very proud of that.

Looks a bit messy, but that’s on the backside of the book, so you don’t really see it and the front looks great…

And it works! I’ve pulled and tugged at it and those prongs haven’t budged! The middle ones are fine…they might pop up, but can be easily slipped back under the binding.

So I know it’s kind of lame, but I am SO excited about this! No more repairing book bindings for distraught authors!! I hope this will be helpful for a fellow hot-glue-nut out there! 🙂

Do you use these bindings for student book publishing? If not, how do you publish your students’ work?

• Kelley Cirrito February 2, 2012 at 1:55 am

Love the idea!! We published lots of things last year and nothing ever held up. I can't wait to try this! The kids will love to see all their writing and read each others!

• JJ February 2, 2012 at 1:56 am

Wow! I love the idea! Students love to have their work published so they can read it over and over. It is a wonderful accomplishment for them. Sharing is the best thing to light up a students face and I'm sure your kids are all beaming lights. I commend you for the hard work, cost, and time. I know you must get great satisfaction in seeing your students happy faces. BRAVO!

JJ

• Dianne February 2, 2012 at 1:59 am

Great idea! I was just binding books today and I had my glue gun out too. I used it to fix my curtains! 🙂
    Dianne

• Karen February 2, 2012 at 2:02 am

what a GREAT idea!!

• Pat's Paper Passion February 2, 2012 at 2:04 am

I always take mine to Staples or Office Max, but we only publish 2-3 books a year and they're pretty good size, since we make more of an anthology than individual books. I haven't found the binder at school big enough to tackle the job.
    Pat

A Time to Share & Create

MY WEBSITE

Fabulous 4th Grade

• Kristin February 2, 2012 at 2:50 am

I use these bindings all the time (I'm actually the queen of it and people come and bow down to me so that I will bind their books because they have no idea how to use the book binding machine). I'm so excited by this new trick — I am definitely going to give it a shot! I doubt I won't escaped unburned, though. 🙂 Thanks for the great tip!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Sarah February 2, 2012 at 3:27 am

Great idea. Thanks for sharing. Isn't it funny how the solution is right under your nose sometimes?

• Mrs. Cupcake February 2, 2012 at 3:51 am

Looove hot glue! I've never even seen a book binding machine though.. yikes!!

A Cupcake for the Teacher

• Ms.M February 2, 2012 at 6:07 am

Good idea. I am getting ready to make my students poetry books tomorrow. So perfect timing.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Kate February 2, 2012 at 9:36 pm

You are seriously the best teacher ever!!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

• Miss Foote February 3, 2012 at 6:16 am

What a fabulous tip!

Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

• Cooperative Learning 365 February 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Great idea! Who would have thought hot glue would have so many uses :)!

• Kim February 5, 2012 at 5:07 am

Well I guess that is all the evidence we need…
    Your talents are infinite!

Thanks, Kristen!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Mrs. K May 24, 2012 at 12:30 am

I love using the binder but I've also experienced the same issues. Thank for sharing this tip!

• Ms. Pretzel June 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Love this! I don't know if I'm disciplined enough to do this, but it's a great idea.

We also use BARE books (they have a website) to publish our book. THe kids love it and they come in many sizes, different kinds of lined paper, etc.

We also do the binding combs, but we only laminate the cover and then a back cover. It saves a LOT of time!

• Second Grade on Parade August 26, 2012 at 3:48 am

THANKS for the tip about the hot glue! I have comb-binded 8-pocket folders that I wanted to use this year for organizing student homework helpers but I just didn't know what I was going to do about the comb-binding because I knew it would start coming off the first day. I was thinking about the glue but I didn't want to glue all of those tabs! I didn't think about just securing the end ones. That is certainly more manageable. I also have pages for an alphabet book we created and I just need to get myself over to our binding machine to put it together! I will be using the comb-binder more often if this works out!

• Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Have you seen the new outline feature in google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you click on the outline icon on the left hand side of your doc (picture two) you will see an outline of all the headings you’ve created.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When you click on a heading in the outline, it will bring you right to that section...even on different pages! It’s like inserting jump links just by typing out headings!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Have you tried this new feature yet?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#lovegoogledrive #googledrive #googledocs #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Yesterday I shared how I’ve been trying to not just get organized, but STAY organized.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀One of the best things I’ve done to stay organized this year is to presort and store all of the math manipulatives we use often into individual containers.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So instead of keeping everything in big bins like I had in the past, I started to use individual boxes with the manipulatives already sorted out, enough for each student. (The storage boxes are Iris 4 x 6 Photo Cases...I’ve found them on Amazon in a 10 pack and on some great sales at Michaels).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This saves SO much time in distributing materials during math, which is the main reason I started organizing like this in the first place.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But there was an unexpected bonus of extra organization! Since the manipulatives are sorted for individuals, my students manage their setup and cleanup!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Like in the first picture there are the tiles we use a ton during the year (for area, perimeter, arrays, factors, etc.) Each box holds 48 tiles, four rows of six and two layers deep to fill the box. So when we are done using the tiles, my students arrange them back into the boxes and store them in our math area.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keeping my math manipulatives like this has helped me stay much more organized this year...everything has its place and my students manage it all!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀How do you like to keep your math manipulatives organized? I loved reading your ideas yesterday...we would love to learn what works best for you!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram