Launching our Memoir unit {printable}

February 9, 2012

Launching our Memoir unit {printable}

February 9, 2012
Oh boy, I almost just said Happy Thursday! That’s wishful thinking, I guess! Ok, Happy Wednesday instead (are Wednesdays happy?? For me they are because they signify the end of the duties for the week…I am duty-free on Thursdays and Fridays, woohoo!).

So, we just wrapped our our Report of Information unit last week and the kids were SO EXCITED about their final reports! They have been reading each others’ a ton this week. I love it!

Our next unit in Writer’s Workshop is focused on Memoirs and they are so psyched for this one!

A bit of a side note: I just love this time of year in ELL…the kids who have been in school since the beginning of the year are speaking English so well now and it just spills over into all other areas–especially in their writing!

Ok, back to the memoirs. We are completing some front-loading lessons and just starting to explore this genre in both Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop. In Writer’s Workshop, we’ve been making lists of possible topics for our memoirs, looking at mentor texts, and doing some background-building and writing activities.

Today’s focus was on a special memory…which we’ve already shared a ton about verbally, in whole-class discussions. I made a graphic organizer-type paper to go along with this lesson…with a little box to sketch a memory before writing. It worked so well for my students! They drew such detailed sketches, focusing on that moment in time that was special to them! Then they completed the writing portion.

I wanted to share the document on here because it is pretty open-ended and I thought it could be used in different kinds of writing lessons or maybe a journal response. There are two pages, as shown below…
Do you work on memoirs or personal narratives in your class? Thanks so much for stopping by!

A Special Memory

• KRISTA February 9, 2012 at 2:33 am

Loving the "Special Memory" download. Thanks for sharing. We are working on personal narratives right now, and this would be perfect to use in our unit.

If you have a chance, please check out my new teaching blog.

Krista
    stellar-students

• Kristin February 9, 2012 at 2:34 am

I love this!!! Thank you for sharing! Your stuff is too darn cute.
    Your kiddos are so lucky to have you!!!

• Runde's Room February 9, 2012 at 2:45 am

We did personal memoirs as our first writing genre in writer's workshop (back in September / October). It was a great way to find out a little more about my students' lives outside of school. LOVE it!

Jen
    Runde's Room

• Kristin February 9, 2012 at 2:57 am

So I copied the wrong link in my earlier comment. Ooops. Just ignore that! 🙂 Thank you!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• diditeach February 9, 2012 at 3:07 am

That is very cute, thanks for sharing !

• Ms.M February 9, 2012 at 5:53 am

Look at you, your on a roll posting this week. Me? I have been lacking, you know conferences and all. -.- Love the freebie. Thanks.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Kim February 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

My goodness, Kristen,
    This SO cute–just like everything else I see here!
    (Sometimes I come here just for a dose of happiness–on a circular label, of course)

You are just so talented!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Kirsten Taylor February 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Thanks for sharing! I love it. I'm a new follower and I tagged you at "bloggy tag". Check it out at http://thirdgradetreasures.blogspot.com/2012/02/bloggy-tag.html

I would love your support! Thanks 🙂
    Kirsten

• Kim February 12, 2012 at 12:47 am

Hi Kristen:
    You are my role model for organization! I love every single thing in your room!

I got the organizer at Office Depot. But I just saw it on sale at Amazon (Rolodex brand/without the cups) for $16.43. And there were cuter, cheaper ones too.

I'm sure there is already something perfect sitting on or near you desk!

Sending you GIANT CyberHugs!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Tales of a First Grade Teacher July 27, 2012 at 6:11 pm

You need to read Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox, it's all about what is a memory! It's awesome!!!
    Jessica

• dissertationconsultant March 7, 2013 at 10:38 am

Your blog post is a various feeling. But it remains the most outstanding in his own style!!

finance dissertation

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram