Snowflake Syllables Game {printable}

January 31, 2012

Snowflake Syllables Game {printable}

January 31, 2012
Helllooo…I’ve missed being on the blogs so much! I set aside a whole chunk of time last night to work on this post…I was so excited to be blogging again!

But then I somehow closed out my tab WITHOUT saving my almost-totally-written post!!! Could you hear me screaming “noooooo!!!” from across blogland?? It’s ok though…my time was well spent reading all of your lovely blogs!

So. This is a little game I’ve been meaning to share for a couple of months now…

I just keep getting sidetracked onto different posts. Or not even posting at all (which I hate!). It’s nothing too fancy, but it is a game my students love (hold on, I just had to hit “Save Now” so I wouldn’t have a repeat of last night’s disaster).

We focus a great deal on syllables in our spelling…not just on our spelling words on our tests, but also in our daily spelling in all subjects. I always hear my ELLs breaking words apart and spelling each syllable…and they get very good at doing so!

So I made this game to practice spelling words for the week and to focus on the syllable sounds. It’s a Memory-type game, for two syllable words. The game is in a Powerpoint file, so I just use a textbox to type in each syllable part…

Then I print the snowflake design (KPM Doodles of course!) on the back of these cards so the kids can’t see through the paper…
(I included one in blue and one in gray…I like to save my colored ink for my signs and posters so I tend to go with the gray).

Then the kids work in partners or small groups to match up the words. It’s pretty cool to watch them play. My newer ELL students utilize their spelling list to help identify words. My more fluent students read out the syllables and manipulate the cards, to see if they create a word. And it helps them remember features of different words…like in the word “certain”. When they see the “cer”, I hear them say it correctly and exclaim “oh, cer, like certain!”.

I’m really hoping this is a game some of you may be able to use in your class. The file has the two different snowflake backgrounds, and different-sized playing cards as well (I use the small ones ’cause my guys are older, but made some larger ones for younger students, just in case any of my primary friends wanted to try them).

The file comes as a Powerpoint, so you can just download, and type right over the cards to customize it for your class. If you do try it out, I would love to hear how it goes!

What are some of your favorite word work/spelling games? Thanks so much for stopping by! 🙂

Snowflake Syllables

• Rachelle January 31, 2012 at 1:51 am

ADORABLEEEEE!!!!

• Kristen January 31, 2012 at 2:04 am

Thanks Rachelle, nice to see ya!! 🙂

• Tara January 31, 2012 at 1:52 am

Oh so cute!!! Love the snowflakes:) They make me happy:) Also have missed you so glad to see your blogging again:)

4th Grade Frolics

• Kristen January 31, 2012 at 2:03 am

Thanks Tara, I've missed being on here! I don't know what it is about this year, but it is just crazy-busy!

• Clutter-Free Classroom January 31, 2012 at 1:57 am

I was wondering where you were. I'm going to check this out at school tomorrow. I don't have powerpoint on my laptop.

❤Jodi from…
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

• Kristen January 31, 2012 at 2:05 am

Hey Jodi…I'm just wiped from this year and having a hard time getting on the blog–thanks so much for visiting! I will be stopping by your blog in a second 🙂

• Mrs. McKown January 31, 2012 at 2:10 am

This is great Kristen! Thanks so much for sharing! Love your creations!

❤Mrs. McKown
    Little Literacy Learners

• ~Stephanie January 31, 2012 at 4:07 am

Thank you so much for sharing. My kids love playing memory games too!

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Ms.M January 31, 2012 at 4:28 am

Glad to see you back. 🙂

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron January 31, 2012 at 12:47 pm

thanks kristen!!
    p.s….a lot of us suggesred you to Amy Lemons…she's wanting a blog make over 🙂

• Kim January 31, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Hi Kristen:
    You are so SWEET to leave a comment on my 4652 word post (I made that number up!) on my blog. Those "assignment" posts are killers!

I am going to try this activity with my sixth grade English learners. Of course, first I will have to explain what the snowflakes are, since most of these California kiddos have never seen snow!

I'm so lad you're back. I am sending you a GIANT CyberHug and a big THANKS for all you share with us!

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Mrs. Crowder February 1, 2012 at 2:22 am

Hey Kristen! I am tagging you in a game we are playing in the blogging world. You're it!

Check out my blog to find the rules!

Erica

• Kristin February 1, 2012 at 3:13 am

So much fun!!!!! I love it!!!!
    You are a smartie!!!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram