Lattice Math Graphic Organizers {printable}

January 22, 2012

Lattice Math Graphic Organizers {printable}

January 22, 2012
Hey everyone! I mentioned last night that my class is working on lattice multiplication right now, as one way to solve multi-digit multiplication problems. That’s why I needed that new Multiplication and Division Chart.

The lattice method is something that is covered in both 4th and 5th grade Everyday Math. And it is a strategy that works so well for my students. Have you used this method before? I’m sure many of you have!

To help my students acquire this new (to them) strategy, I made a series of graphic organizers for note-taking.

I have two pretty distinct groups in class, and they aren’t always split by grade level. The groups change based on ability and need. For instance, I have three outstanding 4th graders from Nepal who can solve any problem I give them!

So these lovelies worked on the 5th grade math lesson with me first (they are very comfortable with multiplication, so we focused on multiplication of decimals). I used one of the more complex lattices (is that a word? Not sure…). Anyhow, we discussed and wrote out the problem in our notes using markers, so it was kind of like this…
(I hope I’m not boring my primary friends!)

For my second group (this is the one still acquiring basic multiplication facts) we used one of the more simplistic lattices and went through the steps of multiplying multi-digit whole numbers (similar process as the one above, only easier). Maybe I should have shown you that first!

I have to say, I just love when the whole class is working on the same strategy, but at their individual levels!

I ended up making seven different graphic organizers for my students…though each student only needed a couple of sheets for their note-taking. Here’s a preview of a few of them…

I’m attaching the file below, in case any of you can use this in your math class. Please let me know if it is something you can use…I’m always so happy to hear when it is!

On a sidenote, this post is a testament of my love for you all. I am typing this frantically, down the wire, as the AFC East playoff game is about to begin. GO PATRIOTS!!!

Anyone else watching football today?! Who are you watching?

Lattice Multiplication Graphic Organizers

• Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) January 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I totally did this when I taught 5th grade….YEARS ago!
    The Teachers’ Cauldron

• Edana January 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

thanks for sharing! I can use this with my 3rd & 4th graders in our after school program 🙂

Color Me Kinder

• Run Teacher, Run! January 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Oh man…I wish we still had Everyday Math!! The kids LOVE lattice! What a great resource.

Mary Beth
    Run Teacher, Run

• YearntoLearn January 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Love the different levels of lattice. Thank you.

Yearn to Learn Blog

• Kelley Cirrito January 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm

My third graders last year LOVED lattice multiplication! I wish we taught it in second grade. I might have to make some time at the end of the year!

• Kristin January 22, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I am leaving a comment so you know that I am always checking up on you and basically stalking you. But I don't have anything to comment on with this post. I'm lost. I have just decided that if I ever get moved out of first grade to anywhere besides kindergarten, I will have to find a new job that involves no math at all. 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Amy Alvis January 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I used lattice for the first time with my 5th graders this year. They LOVED it!!

• Gladys January 22, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I'm going to have to share your blog with the upper grade teachers at my school…this looks so cool!

• Erika January 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I am grabbing these to use with my sixth grade daughter. Thanks!

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• Erika January 23, 2012 at 1:12 am

Kristen,
    I just awarded you the favorite follower award. Come over and check it out.

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• melissa January 23, 2012 at 1:44 am

kristen!! one of my favorite multiplication lessons!
    I usually loop with my 3rd graders to 4th.. and when they browse around the math journal and see that —
    they are always so intrigued! btw I seriously can't believe you use everyday math also!!
    now we really have to chat! lol lol

• S. Parker January 23, 2012 at 4:19 am

I saw this a fee weeks ago being used by some students. I like it but I still have to wrap my brain around how it works. Like Kristen, I feel I would be lost reaching these "big kid" concepts.

• Edana January 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

I just gave you a new award…stop by my blog to check it out 🙂

Color Me Kinder

• Barbara January 26, 2012 at 4:41 am

Hi Kristen! I noticed that you've opened a blog design "shop". Congrats!!! I'm hoping you wouldn't mind giving me a little bit of advice, 'cause I'm hoping to do the same thing this summer. I bought Photoshop and have signed up for a course to learn how to use it properly, but was wondering if there were any sites/books that you would highly recommend.
    Take care and thanks so much for all the stuff you share with everyone!

❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    beleyne@gmail.com

• K-1 Teaching Besties January 27, 2012 at 3:55 am

Such cute ideas!!! Check out our blog for lots of FREEBIES and classroom photos!!! We have some new groundhog and Valentines day activities on there!!!

• Diane January 28, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I was introduced to this method of multiplication a few years back by a fellow teacher at a math training. I liked it but didn't remember how to do it when I returned to teach my class. Thanks for the forms and explanation. I was transferred this year to first grade, so I can't use it, but I'm going to save these forms. I'm hoping next year I can return to 3rd, 4th, or 5th grades.

Diane
    dkbradner@gmail.com

• Anonymous January 28, 2012 at 7:03 pm

My newcomer EL student from Nepal is a quiz at math, too! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style!

• Anonymous January 28, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Oops, I meant ELL 🙂

• Kelley Cirrito January 29, 2012 at 3:37 am

I just tagged you Kristen! Come check it out!

• Mrs. S. January 29, 2012 at 5:59 am

Tag! You’re it!
    Check out my blog… 🙂
    Melly<><

Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

• Katie and Steve January 29, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I'm a dork…So jealous that you get to teach this. Each year I beg the 3rd and 4th grade teachers to let me teach this to their kids. I've filed this in a "Incase I Teach 3rd Grade File!"

Katie
    TwoCanDoIt.Blogspot.com
    ReadingResource.net

• Anonymous March 8, 2012 at 11:50 am

Loved doing this with my students! Gave them another option.

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram