Generating Questions Graphic Organizer {printable}

January 10, 2012

Generating Questions Graphic Organizer {printable}

January 10, 2012
This is a file I made awhile back when we first started our Report of Information study in Writer’s Workshop. One of the first lessons was on building background and asking questions about a topic of research.

So I made these simple graphic organizers for my ELL students to brainstorm questions about their topics (they are writing reports on animals). The students worked in pairs to generate questions together. Then, they stored them in their folders, so they could add to the list as they thought of new questions.

I didn’t realize at the time just how helpful these graphic organizers would be!

We’ve been researching and using nonfiction mentor texts for about a month now and it has been great. But it came to that point this week where the kids were coming up to me and saying, “I think I’ve finished!”. All I had to do was ask them to refer to their initial questions and they were exclaiming, “oh! I forgot to look for this!”. (It helps, of course, that I have an adorable class that is way into these animal research projects!).

I know they’re nothing really fancy, but I wanted to share them with you…in case you could use them with your class. I kept them really open-ended because it makes the graphic organizer self-differentiating in a way. My newest ELL students were able to write basic questions on their own, using the question word prompt on each page. My more fluent students were able to ask more extended questions in an organized format. It was cool!

The file contains the six basic questioning words: who, what, where, when, why, and how (though we didn’t use “who” for this particular project). Here’s a little peek:
If you’d like to download the file (it’s free) I put it in my Teacher’s Notebook shop and you can access it by clicking the button below.
Teacher's NotebookAre you using a Writer’s Workshop format in your school? What are your students working on right now?? We are wrapping up reports within the next two weeks and moving onto Memoirs next. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• Ximena January 11, 2012 at 12:29 am

Thank you!!

• Rachelle January 11, 2012 at 1:00 am

You make the CUTEST stuff! It's so appealing!!!! ! 🙂

-Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Kate January 11, 2012 at 1:11 am

These are so wonderful! Thanks again for sharing!! I will definitely be putting these to good use!
    Kate
    To The Square Inch

• Kelley Cirrito January 11, 2012 at 1:12 am

Love it!!! Thanks!!!

• Lisa Howard January 11, 2012 at 1:55 am

great.. Simple = super smart
    – Lisa
    a teachers bag of tricks

• Ms.M January 11, 2012 at 2:09 am

Ooo, Memoirs, how fancy. We have been working on personal narratives/ small moments for the whole first & second qtr and I am sick of them.

My firsties are moving I to poetry and will do animal research/ non-fic text in 4th qtr.

My kinder kids are still working on personal narratives but are moving in to 3 pg books and stretching out their stories.

A far cry from what your doing. However, I know I can pass this to the other ELL teachers I work with. 🙂

• Mrs. McKown January 11, 2012 at 2:14 am

These are great! My 3rd and 4th graders last year had such a difficult time remembering the question words to even pose questions. This would have helped so much! I will have to put them away in case my grade levels change again in the future…as I am sure they will!
    Thanks so much! Love your stuff as always!

❤Mrs. McKown
    Little Literacy Learners

• Ginger Snaps January 11, 2012 at 2:23 am

I am starting animal research papers next week! This is great!

• Kelley Cirrito January 13, 2012 at 2:02 am

That is a good idea! I bet it really helps the kids keep track of all their questions and they are all in one place!

• Erika January 14, 2012 at 5:28 am

Love these. Thanks.

2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram