Be gone, Clutter!

January 21, 2012

Be gone, Clutter!

January 21, 2012
Happy Friday!!! I’m linking up with Jodi over at Clutter-Free Classroom this evening. If you haven’t seen her blog yet, you must run over there now! Not only does she have the most wonderful ideas and tips, Jodi is also orchestrating a major clutter-busting battle!

Sooo…

I’ve been working on a few areas of my room this past week and half…

and I’ve been able to get rid of:

• a ton of professional resources I haven’t used in years
  • four cumbersome binders (if interested, you can read more about that here)
  • older workbooks I no longer use
  • extra workbooks I don’t need for my current grade levels
  • old dictionaries

All of these items were given away to teachers who needed them more than I do and my students (the older materials we no longer use).I have this thing with having all of my materials out where I can see them (that way I can’t hide my messes ’cause I’m so adept at that!) so some things weren’t given away, but organized out in places where they could be accessed more easily.I managed to get one whole cabinet completely cleaned out thanks to all of this decluttering. Here’s a before picture…And here are some after pictures…The one huge binder I had to keep for ELL testing, EDM resources (I’m using 5th grade right now and this is 4th), and a handful of workbooks I do still use with my newest ELL students at times.

Classroom decor materials and running record kits. I tried to put the things I do not use too often in this cabinet, since it has lovely doors to hide these items!
The whole cabinet. And once the doors are closed, it’s just lovely!

I still have a couple of other areas to tackle but it’s getting close. The almost-two-year-decluttering-process is winding down, yay!

Have you been sorting or decluttering in this new year? Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• ~Stephanie January 21, 2012 at 1:22 am

Looks awesome! When you are done, head on over my way 😉

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Hadar January 21, 2012 at 2:02 am

Nice job!!

• Amanda January 21, 2012 at 2:16 am

Inspiring! I still haven't moved beyond taking the before pictures. Maybe I need you to mentor me. 🙂

• Kelley Cirrito January 21, 2012 at 2:54 am

Looks great! I finished cleaning out my desk today and the janitor was moving it out tonight. I have sooo much more room now! I am glad I took the plunge! Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I will have to post a picture on Monday because I forgot my camera.

• Lisa at Stories From Second January 21, 2012 at 2:59 am

Looks wonderful! I haven't been inspired to do much more than take my before pictures! There's just so little time!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

• Kim January 21, 2012 at 5:46 am

Hi Kristen:
    Only you could make a stack of books look so lovely!
    You are always a source of inspiration for me.
    And the next time I use my book binder, I will think of you!

Happy weekend, BlogFriend,

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Rachelle January 21, 2012 at 7:24 am

Seriously??!?!? You could make a pile of garbage look fabulous and organized!!!!!!!

-Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Annie Moffatt January 21, 2012 at 8:07 am

I am de-cluttering my house if that counts for anything:) I just love posts like this because it totally inspires me to get busy!! Thanks for the pictures!

• Brittany January 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Looks great!! Doesn't it always feel so nice when you know your classroom is organized?

Brittany
    Ms. Green Apple

• Clutter-Free Classroom January 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for linking up. It still surprises me that you have clutter. Enjoy the weekend!

❤Jodi from…
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

• Kate January 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Looks great! I really need to be better about staying organized!!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

• Jess January 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Yeah looks great! I just clean out my cabinet too and need to post pictures today!
    Rambling About Reading

• Kristin January 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I seriously didn't think your before picture was cluttered. Now I see the difference. I think. 🙂
    No decluttering going on here. I am way too lazy. And I just shut the cupboard doors. There's only one that's driving me crazy but I think it will have to wait until the summer. We'll see. For now, I just close the door. 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• A Teacher's Treasure January 21, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Looks great!!! Way to go!!! Totally adopting your book binding idea!

have a great weekend!

❤ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• busyizzie February 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Thank you for your last line that said decluttering has taken you nearly 2 years. I have just started and keep finding old files and information I no longer need, but between teaching and grading and hosting a math club for students who need extra help in math, and teaching college, I can't see decluttering being a fast job.

I like your laminating idea, but more so the glue gun idea.

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram