Be gone, Clutter!

January 21, 2012

Be gone, Clutter!

January 21, 2012
Happy Friday!!! I’m linking up with Jodi over at Clutter-Free Classroom this evening. If you haven’t seen her blog yet, you must run over there now! Not only does she have the most wonderful ideas and tips, Jodi is also orchestrating a major clutter-busting battle!

Sooo…

I’ve been working on a few areas of my room this past week and half…

and I’ve been able to get rid of:

• a ton of professional resources I haven’t used in years
  • four cumbersome binders (if interested, you can read more about that here)
  • older workbooks I no longer use
  • extra workbooks I don’t need for my current grade levels
  • old dictionaries

All of these items were given away to teachers who needed them more than I do and my students (the older materials we no longer use).I have this thing with having all of my materials out where I can see them (that way I can’t hide my messes ’cause I’m so adept at that!) so some things weren’t given away, but organized out in places where they could be accessed more easily.I managed to get one whole cabinet completely cleaned out thanks to all of this decluttering. Here’s a before picture…And here are some after pictures…The one huge binder I had to keep for ELL testing, EDM resources (I’m using 5th grade right now and this is 4th), and a handful of workbooks I do still use with my newest ELL students at times.

Classroom decor materials and running record kits. I tried to put the things I do not use too often in this cabinet, since it has lovely doors to hide these items!
The whole cabinet. And once the doors are closed, it’s just lovely!

I still have a couple of other areas to tackle but it’s getting close. The almost-two-year-decluttering-process is winding down, yay!

Have you been sorting or decluttering in this new year? Thanks for stopping by! πŸ™‚

• ~Stephanie January 21, 2012 at 1:22 am

Looks awesome! When you are done, head on over my way πŸ˜‰

~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

• Hadar January 21, 2012 at 2:02 am

Nice job!!

• Amanda January 21, 2012 at 2:16 am

Inspiring! I still haven't moved beyond taking the before pictures. Maybe I need you to mentor me. πŸ™‚

• Kelley Cirrito January 21, 2012 at 2:54 am

Looks great! I finished cleaning out my desk today and the janitor was moving it out tonight. I have sooo much more room now! I am glad I took the plunge! Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I will have to post a picture on Monday because I forgot my camera.

• Lisa at Stories From Second January 21, 2012 at 2:59 am

Looks wonderful! I haven't been inspired to do much more than take my before pictures! There's just so little time!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

• Kim January 21, 2012 at 5:46 am

Hi Kristen:
    Only you could make a stack of books look so lovely!
    You are always a source of inspiration for me.
    And the next time I use my book binder, I will think of you!

Happy weekend, BlogFriend,

Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Rachelle January 21, 2012 at 7:24 am

Seriously??!?!? You could make a pile of garbage look fabulous and organized!!!!!!!

-Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Annie Moffatt January 21, 2012 at 8:07 am

I am de-cluttering my house if that counts for anything:) I just love posts like this because it totally inspires me to get busy!! Thanks for the pictures!

• Brittany January 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Looks great!! Doesn't it always feel so nice when you know your classroom is organized?

Brittany
    Ms. Green Apple

• Clutter-Free Classroom January 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for linking up. It still surprises me that you have clutter. Enjoy the weekend!

❀Jodi from…
    β˜…β˜…The Clutter-Free Classroomβ˜…β˜…
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

• Kate January 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Looks great! I really need to be better about staying organized!!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

• Jess January 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Yeah looks great! I just clean out my cabinet too and need to post pictures today!
    Rambling About Reading

• Kristin January 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I seriously didn't think your before picture was cluttered. Now I see the difference. I think. πŸ™‚
    No decluttering going on here. I am way too lazy. And I just shut the cupboard doors. There's only one that's driving me crazy but I think it will have to wait until the summer. We'll see. For now, I just close the door. πŸ™‚
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• A Teacher's Treasure January 21, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Looks great!!! Way to go!!! Totally adopting your book binding idea!

have a great weekend!

❀ Mor Zrihen from…
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

• busyizzie February 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Thank you for your last line that said decluttering has taken you nearly 2 years. I have just started and keep finding old files and information I no longer need, but between teaching and grading and hosting a math club for students who need extra help in math, and teaching college, I can't see decluttering being a fast job.

I like your laminating idea, but more so the glue gun idea.