Reasons I know Christmas is near!!

December 18, 2011

Reasons I know Christmas is near!!

December 18, 2011
The wonderfully hysterical and creative Reagan from Tunstall’s Teaching Tidbits and the fabulous Amanda from One Extra Degree have both shared their top ten reasons they know Christmas is near.
Besides the fact that both of these blogs are an absolute MUST FOLLOW because of their creativity and knowledge, these girls are just too funny!! You must stop by and see them both if you haven’t already.

I don’t quite have a top ten because, well, I am just too tapped to be creative lately so I will just share a bit of my experiences thus far.

Wait. There is something you must know before reading this…it might change your whole viewpoint when reading it.

We are in school until Friday.

The 23rd.

Aaaaaa!!!! Ok, here it goes…

Reasons I know Christmas is near:

You are now giving a report every two hours to provide a countdown of:
A. How many days ’til vacation
B. How many days of vacation

You have a set speech that takes place each day, about maintaining control and decorum even though everyone is very, very excited about the holiday. This speech is very powerful and stirring. It truly is one of the best of your teaching career. This speech has little effect, if any.

The energy level in the building is so palpable, you can literally feel it. It’s not a good feeling.

Recess and lunch duties have taken on new meaning. They are no longer mere duties, they are a matter of survival. Each and every second you wait for the classroom teacher to pick up his/her class is pure and utter agony.

You pick up your class from the cafeteria after lunch and each female student is sporting an elaborate hairpiece, constructed entirely of napkins and straws. And you thought you were lucky you didn’t have lunch duty that day!

Well, joking aside, I am hoping to try out some of the lovely things I have read on your blogs this week. It will go quickly, right?? Please reassure me!

Who’s out on vacation already? If not, when are you out? Please, SOMEONE, tell me you are in until Friday with me, so we can support one another!!

• Kelley Cirrito December 18, 2011 at 1:12 am

I am in school until Thursday! We might as well go on Friday and make it a full week! I am feeling your pain, because it seems like everyone else is already enjoying the good life on vacation!

• Holly December 18, 2011 at 1:19 am

We go until Thursday too – hubby goes until Friday. The kicker? I still go back on the 3rd {at least hubby doesn't have to go back until the 9th)…when do you go back?

Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

• Reagan Tunstall December 18, 2011 at 1:20 am

I made it official Kristen! Please link up and BTW HILAROUS!!!!!!! survivor recess OMG…powerful speeches. I am dying.

• Kristen December 18, 2011 at 1:26 am

Hey Kelley, yup, you are definitely in the same boat!

Holly, we go back the 3rd too!!! It's like a record short vacation with Christmas falling on the weekend this year.

Regan, YAY! I am linking up!

• Courtney Bartlett December 18, 2011 at 1:28 am

I'm in school until Thursday. This week is going to drag and I'm with you on your first reason. We have to count on the calendar every day even though I have a tree on the door that lists the number of days until Christmas. Hopefully, this week flies by so our vacation and go ahead and start.

Swimming into Second

• Sara S. December 18, 2011 at 1:47 am

I'm in school until Friday too! And I'll be back on 3rd as well. 🙁 And I agree with the energy thing – I swear it's seeping out of my students bodies, no matter how hard they try to control it!

Sara 🙂
    smilinginsecondgrade.blogspot.com

• Rachel December 18, 2011 at 2:09 am

I'm in school until Wednesday and really feel for you! I thought I had it bad since it seems like everyone got done yesterday. So sorry girl! I've also made that speech to my students every day last week. I'm not sure it's even worth it this week. The good news is, I'm just planning on using all the great ideas I've found on blog and just have a fun, Christmas week! I hope your short break feels really long (but I know it never does!)
    Rachel
    Ed Link – First Grade

• MLTeach December 18, 2011 at 2:12 am

I'm in until Friday with our play on Thursday night….ahhhh!

• Hadar December 18, 2011 at 2:29 am

I'm out, I'm out. I'm out!!!!!! And just had 3 jello shots… Winter break, whoop whoopie!!!

• Amanda December 18, 2011 at 2:55 am

Wow Kristen! I thought things were crazy in my little school world, but my students haven't made straws into accessories… yet. We go to school through Wednesday, and I can' t imagine going through Friday. Sending you lots of positive thoughts… 🙂

• TheJobBoys December 18, 2011 at 3:07 am

I'm in school until Friday as well, but only half day

• Anonymous December 18, 2011 at 4:26 am

Very sad for you about being in school till Friday-NOT fair!! We get out Wednesday and I thought that was not soon enough to get ready for family coming. I hope the week flies by quickly for you 🙂

• 4321teach December 18, 2011 at 4:40 am

We go until Wednesday, which is a half day. We will make it! Plus I am one of those crazy teachers who actually enjoys the holiday party! It reminds me of my youth and this year I have a great party mom.
    Wishing you a great week!

EmilyK

• Katy December 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I can't believe y'all only get like a week off for Christmas! That is pure craziness… Christmas break is my time to recharge and reconnect with why I love teaching. I hope your break, no matter how little it is, is restful and recharging!!!

Katy
    Kindergarten Katy

• bnwalton December 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I guess I should consider myself lucky! Not only are we out already, but we don't have to go back until January 3. I'm excited we go back on Tuesday because normally it's Monday, so I consider Monday a Bonus Day. I can't imagine having to go all week long. What grinches made y'all's Chrismtas Break Calendar?! Good luck this week!

Bonnie
    Living A Wonderful Life

• Lori Faas December 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I am babysitting, I mean teaching, until Friday at 3:30. I am not sure how I am going to survive it. Even my good kids were being naughty next week and all my kids seem to be SICK! I have not had a full class since LAST Monday. We will make it. We will make it. We will make it.
    Lori

• Spedteacher December 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I am teaching, until Thursday. The kindergarten and third grade team at our school convinced our principal to let us wear jeans all week. We are also having wear your holiday jewelry tomorrow, headbands and hats on Tuesday, peg our jeans and wear our holiday socks on Wednesday, then we are putting it all together with our tacky sweaters on Thursday. At least we will have fun 🙂

• Sunny December 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Please tell me that you at least get extra days off somewhere in the year?! That is the shortest winter vacation ever. I would cry. Or rebel. Or quit. Or scream. One of 'em.

Hang in there!

• Tara December 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm

You are too funny! We are out and I am sooo thankful!!! I don't know how people do it next week….it was all I could do to keep them off the ceiling, sugar convulsing, pushing eachother, out of the office and my sanity all at the same time….I am still exhausted!!! I just posted a writing idea you might be able to use this week…..also that I am stalking your blog in my Currently link up with Farley:)))) Hang in there friend!!

4th Grade Frolics

• Kristin December 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I feel terrible that you have to go until the 23rd. That's just not humane. Do you still get two weeks??? It will be nice for you not to go back on the 2nd, if that's the case. 🙂
    Cracking me up about the survivial mode and the hair pieces!!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Pettit December 19, 2011 at 12:02 am

We go till Friday, it will be a long week since my class was already bouncing off the walls last week! It is a short break! So hard to get ready when you go right to the 23rd! This week's survival plan is LOTS of fun activities b/c my K's will be hard to contain!
    Happy Holidays everyone!

• A Teacher's Treasure December 19, 2011 at 12:37 am

you crack me up! school till the 23rd?!?!?! what a stink!!! how long is your vacay?!? deep breath! you'll prevail 🙂

❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

• Kristen December 19, 2011 at 1:10 am

thanks for the words of support and I'm sorry to those in 'til later this week too!!

We go back January 3rd, so it's a quick nine days. I plan to enjoy them immensely!! 🙂

• MrsKinne December 19, 2011 at 1:34 am

My ELLs and I are in school until Friday, too! I am hoping that with the sing-alongs and the crafts and the Polar-Express-reading, that this week will fly by. 🙂

• Mrs. Mac December 19, 2011 at 3:02 am

I hate to tell you this but I'm FREE! Yay! We had a huge hoopla on Friday that lasted 2 hours with 5 crafts, a cookie decorating station, a reading station, a bingo game, and finally a movie and eating huge amounts of junk. THEN, when the bell rang, everyone left -including my parent volunteers – and left me with a huge mess to clean up. Ah well, it's over! So sorry you're going until the 23rd – that stinks. Lisa

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram