New Year’s Writing {printable}

December 19, 2011

New Year’s Writing {printable}

December 19, 2011
This is an oldie that has been refurbished for 2012! I used a graphic organizer like this last year and blew it up to poster size…my students loved working on this when we came back from Christmas break!

(If interested, you can read more about the original file here).

I wanted to update the graphic organizer a bit for the new year. And, of course, to share the file with all of my lovely readers who have stuck with me despite my horrible blogging habits as of late. I am very appreciative of your support and interest…thank you for being so understanding!

Sooo…this graphic organizer can be downloaded via the green link below. Leave me some ladybug love if it’s something you can use…it’ll help me get through this looooong upcoming week, ha!

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday, whether at home with family or in school!! 🙂

New Year’s Graphic Organizer

{Doodle Frame by Miss Tiina at www.misstiina.com}

• Courtney Bartlett December 19, 2011 at 1:04 am

Thank you for sharing! I'm feeling a long week coming up too. Ugh! Hope it passes quickly.

Swimming into Second

• Tara December 19, 2011 at 1:05 am

This is just too cute and a great way to start the new year with the peeps!! Thank you!!

4th Grade Frolics

• Holly December 19, 2011 at 1:14 am

Love, love, love!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Nice to know I have something for the New Year!

Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

• melissa December 19, 2011 at 1:42 am

thanks kristen! 🙂 awesome…

• Sarah Cooley December 19, 2011 at 1:50 am

I LOVE this! 🙂

• Kim December 19, 2011 at 2:07 am

Hi Kristen:
    Thanks for the cute activity. (Actually, I might use it to organize MY OWN thinking before the kids ever get to see it!)

Also, I wanted you to know that once I knew your name was on the list (Day 2, I think), I voted for you every day on the EduBlog awards page. I love your blog.

You are always so sweet and generous and I wanted you to know that appreciate you!

Happy Holidays,
    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

• Jill December 19, 2011 at 5:48 am

Yay thanks! This is just lovely.

Also I just used your tree frame on my first and second graders Communities test!!!! I hope it will make them happy while they identify rural, suburban, and urban communities tomorrow. Well, at least it will make me happy… haha!

Marvelous Multiagers!

• Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) December 19, 2011 at 10:40 am

Thank you!

♥ Jen Ross
    The Teachers' Cauldron

• Susie December 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm

i love this poster..you do such wonderful things! i am a blog stalker..am thinking about doing my own but not sure how to get it going. thank you for sharing, and i will be thinking about you this week! susie

• Kristen December 20, 2011 at 12:27 am

I'm so excited you guys can use it! Thanks for taking the time to let me know!!

Kim, thank you very, very much for your comment. It was so thoughtful of you–it made me teary to read it! I am heading over your blog to say the same in case you don't read this. Thank you so much!!

Jill, I'm psyched you were able to use the frame! Thanks for telling me 🙂

Susie, best of luck if you end up starting out. I started blogging around this time last year and it has been the greatest experience!

• Anonymous December 20, 2011 at 1:04 am

Thank you for sharing! I plan to do this with my kids first day back from holiday break!

• The Science Penguin December 20, 2011 at 2:23 am

Great idea! I'll have this waiting on their desks when they get back.

• Lindsay December 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Thanks for this. It's super cute!!!

Lindsay
    My Life as a Fifth Grade Teacher

• 21'st Century Teaching Challenges December 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

What a simple but WONDERFUL idea! I love it. Thank you.

• recessduty December 24, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Love this, perfect for my multi-agers!

• Lisa December 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Live Laugh and Love to Learn

• diditeach December 27, 2011 at 2:52 am

Just discovered your blog. Thanks for sharing the New Year's graphic. Love your classroom !

• Jodi Hammond December 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Thank you for the New Year's printable!!!! I will do it on Tuesday (yes, Tuesday) 🙁 when we head back. I am enjoying all the things you share and your great ideas. (But, I'm still struggling with the "no teacher desk" concept!

• Mrs. Cockrell December 27, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! We will be using this to get some good goals together for the new year! 😀

• Chrissy December 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Kristin, I love this! I sometimes do a New Year's Resolution activity but like this much better. Thanks so much for all you share. You've really help me develop more in my blog. Happy New Year!
     Chrissy

First Grade Found Me

• Kristen December 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I'm so happy you can use this! Thank you for stopping by and for the sweet words 🙂
    Kristen

• Mrs. Lirette January 3, 2012 at 3:34 am

I LOVE this! Thank you so much for sharing! I mentioned your wonderful freebie on my blog:

Mary

• Bubble Toes January 4, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Just so cute! Thanks so much for sharing. I love you site and really appreciate your creative resources and ideas: ). Happy New Year!

• mrsallensclass140 December 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm

thanks so much! great freebie!

• Ms.M from Teachingisagift December 28, 2012 at 2:20 am

I am hosting a HUGE New Year Linky Party at http://teachingisagift.blogspot.ca/2012/12/2013-new-year-linky-party.html. I would like to invite you to come and join the fun. This post looks fantastic and it would be great to share with others! Hope to see you at the party!

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram