Thanksgiving Homework Pass {printable}

November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving Homework Pass {printable}

November 20, 2011
Hello lovely blog friends! I have specifically put aside schoolwork and house decorating to sit and blog for once!

I’ve been thinking a lot and I finally have a theory on my lack of blogging. You see, I only started blogging about a year ago, but it was late December and I was ready for vacation and to start blogging.

Then the winter set in. Those of you who know the New England area know how looooong and cold the winters are here. Hence, lots and lots of time for blogging! So I’m thinking that I just need to get through this last month of craziness, then it will be blog city. Hopefully!

To make up for being away from here so much, I whipped up a little homework pass. I was hoping this was something that a lot of people could use, since we all give homework (I think). It’s just a small way to say thanks to everyone who stops by and I really hope some of you will be able to use this with your students this week.

Oddly enough, I will NOT be handing out this homework pass to my students because they LOVE homework. Seriously. A couple of them complain a teensy, but I know it’s all an act because they are always asking what the assignment is and running in to show their completed work the next morning. It’s one of the many perks of working with ELL newcomers–they love to learn English! 🙂

Sooo…before I share the file…I’ve read here and there about this incredible week-long Thanksgiving break. How cool! I never knew such a thing existed until I met all of you! Are any of you on break right now? Do you use the time to start holiday shopping?

If you’re not out of school yet, how many days do you have this week? We are in until Wednesday, so fingers crossed for a quick week. Happy-almost-Thanksgiving!!!

{click on the image below to download the file}

{Border by Miss Tiina at www.misstiina.com}

• Rachelle November 20, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Those are so cute! LOVE THEM!!!!

We are in school until Wednesday at 1:25pm. It's quite long! 🙂 But we have a fun feast on Wednesday and the kiddos love it….so I can't complain!

Want to join my linky party? I know you do…HAHAH! 🙂

• Tania Knapp November 20, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Thanks for the super cute homework pass! We are in school until Wednesday.
    Thinking about 'attending' the craziness of balc Friday and visiting NYC to see the Thanksgiving parade.
    Feliz Dia de Gracias,
    TK 🙂

• Amanda November 20, 2011 at 11:57 pm

We have a full day on Wednesday, so I am a little jealous of everyone who gets to sleep in tomorrow. I'll be getting home from school Wednesday and driving 7 hours to Maryland to make it there for Thanksgiving with the in-laws and a little Black Friday shopping! Thanks for the cute printable and your kind words yesterday on my blog. 🙂 It's nice to know I'm not alone. You are fabulous! Thanks for always inspiring!

Amanda
    http:/www.oneextradegree,blogspot.com

• JJ November 21, 2011 at 12:11 am

These are very cute! Thank you!

• Spedteacher November 21, 2011 at 12:16 am

We are in school til Wednesday afternoon. I am taking Wednesday off and we are heading from Maryland to Massachusettes.

• Ginger Snaps November 21, 2011 at 1:08 am

Tuesday is my last day!! Woo hoo!!

• Rachel November 21, 2011 at 1:43 am

I have the whole week off with a half day inservice tomorrow!

• Barbara Day November 21, 2011 at 1:46 am

My students thank you for this. We have school Monday and Tuesday.

• Kristin November 21, 2011 at 1:46 am

Super cute pass!!! 🙂
    I am off all week! This is "not normal". Last year and this year we are taking 3 furlough days this week which means we're off all week. We are actually taking a total of 9 furlough days which equals a 5% pay cut but we saved all of our teachers. I have no idea what's going to happen next year — our contract was only for 2 years. The pay cut HURT but I've got to tell you, I'm a happy girl right now!!! And yes, I use this time to shop, write Christmas cards, wrap presents, etc. 🙂
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• ❋Karen❋ November 21, 2011 at 3:05 am

These are sooo cute! I wasn't planning on giving homework this week anyway, so I may give these out and tell my cuties they deserve it for working so hard. LOL! We are in school for the next three days, hoping it passes quickly!

• Ms.M November 21, 2011 at 3:54 am

2 teaching days, Mon & Tues, and one work day, Wed. Then I get 3 days off. I envy the teachers with week long Thanksgiving breaks. 🙂

Thanks for the freebie.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Heather November 22, 2011 at 4:56 am

Thanks for the cute homework pass! My kids sadly do not love homework so I know they will enjoy these thoroughly! Hope you have a good Thanksgiving!

• Miss Squirrels November 22, 2011 at 5:29 am

I sent you a sunshine award…come check it out! Going Nutty! Staci

• Annie Moffatt November 22, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Just wanted you to know that your blog brings sunshine to my day and I just gave you the Sunshine Blog award. You don't need to post about it, I just wanted others to know how awesome your blog is!! As if they don't already know!!

• Chrissy November 23, 2011 at 1:19 am

I'm sharing the Sunshine Award with you! Please hop over and grab it!
    (PS: I have Dance Moms dish! The girls performed and they are A-MAZING!)

ReadWriteSing

• Laurie November 23, 2011 at 3:04 am

I just awarded you the Sunshine Award! I love your blog.

Laurie

• Grade ONEderful November 23, 2011 at 4:37 am

I've also given you the Sunshine Award, 'cause you make me smile!

❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

• Tara November 23, 2011 at 11:05 am

Your blog brightens my day so I'm giving you the Sunshine Award:) Pop by to pick it up:D

4th Grade Frolics

• Flats November 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Hi, Im not sure if you will be able to respond to this but your blog is AWESOME! I just joined Pinterest and saw your boards, pins, etc. I am a first year teacher in Florida-my whole class is ELL/ESOL. I wish you the best, thanks for sharing and have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

~http://teacherflats.blogspot.com/
    (Its more like a Reflection Piece-Im going to work on organizing it a little bit more; Im not as blog savvy yet).

• Katie and Steve November 24, 2011 at 12:32 am

Kristen,

Steve and I awarded you the Sunshine Award…I always love reading your posts you leave on our blog…and I heart your ideas!

Katie
    TwoCanDoIt.Blogspot.com

• melissa November 24, 2011 at 1:09 am

kristen! my little 3rd grade friends totally enjoyed your passes today!
    super cute..happy thanksgiving enjoy..

• Mandy November 24, 2011 at 2:41 am

I've awarded you a Sunshine Award (too). My post is here.

Mandy

• Lory Robinson November 26, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Adore all of your stuff! We have picked you as one of our recipients of the Sunshine Award! Have a great day!
    -Lory
    Fun for First

• Janine November 26, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I awarded you the Sunshine Award! Head on over to my blog to pick it up:

Faithful in First

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram