Enemy Pie (Friendship) Writing Activities

October 16, 2011

Enemy Pie (Friendship) Writing Activities

October 16, 2011
Our school has just launched its first “Principal’s Book of the Month” and it’s Enemy Pie, by Derek Munson. If you haven’t read it, this book is seriously cute and a wonderful read! My students LOVED it! I loved the message behind it (not going to say more and give anything away, in case you haven’t read it before!).

In efforts to build a reading community within our school, everyone will read this book…from Kindergarten all the way to Grade 5. Each class will complete a writing project related to the story. So I made some writing prompts for my students…

…and wanted to share them with you!

Here’s a quick overview of some of the printables:

We just completed the Recipe for a Great Friendship activity on Friday afternoon. The kids’ recipes were adorable…”4 cups of playing soccer, 2 tablespoons of going to the park”. It provided a nice opportunity to teach a mini-lesson on units of measurement too (since many of the terms were new to my ELL students).

On Monday, we’ll be working on one of the four writing prompts (I like to give my students a lot of choice, since their writing skills represent a very wide range)…

I have to tell you, I did slip in one prompt that is very ELL-newcomer-oriented (“Think of a friend you had in your country. What were some of the things you liked to do together?”). This is always a must with my class, since we are often talking about their experiences in their countries (one of the perks of being an ELL magnet teacher, it’s truly fascinating to hear their stories!). I included it just in case you are working with a similar population, or have some newer ELL students in your class.

And, because I love signs (as you know!) I’m also sharing a sign that I’ll be putting with the writing display:

I really hope this is something you can use with your class, for Enemy Pie or maybe just a basic friendship writing prompt activity!

I’m sharing this file for free like so many of my others, but I am linking it on my NEW (yay!) Teacher’s Notebook Shop:
Teacher's Notebook
I would love to hear what you think if you choose to download it. Thanks so much for reading, I hope you all have a relaxing and happy weekend! 🙂

• Erica Bohrer October 16, 2011 at 1:02 am

This is one of my favorite books!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Erica Bohrer's First Grade

• Kristin October 16, 2011 at 1:07 am

I do not know this book — Can't wait to read it!!! CUTE activities, by the way!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

• Gladys October 16, 2011 at 3:56 am

I LOVE this book! Our counselor does a lesson on this book every year…your activities are perfect! Thanks sooo much!

• chlorophyll October 16, 2011 at 8:35 am

I've been a follower of your blog for a while now but this is my first comment. Just want to say the way you manages your blog, its content and your willingness to share is IMPRESSIVE!!

• Pat's Paper Passion October 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

Love the book. I use it as a teaser in my letters to students at the beginning of school. It is a good example of narrative writing which we do for the state writing test in Feb.
    Thanks for the free activities.

• Pat's Paper Passion October 16, 2011 at 11:18 am

Tried to find a link for the files, but all there was were pngs.

• Kristen October 16, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for the sweet comments 🙂

Chlorophyll, thank you so much–your words mean a lot to me!

Pat, they're in my TN store for free: http://teachersnotebook.com/shop/LadybugTeacher

• Dianne October 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Congratulations on opening your new shop! I will be a frequent follower! I also LOVE the Enemy Pie activities. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Dianne @ http://hopelesslydevotedtoteaching.blogspot.com/

• Natalie Kay October 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm

These printables are great! Congrats on your new store!!

• Janine October 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm

If you go to storylineonline.com, you can hear Enemy Pie read by Cameron Manheim from The Practice. I love this book and I use Storyline Online all of the time for many of my read alouds! Check it out!

Faithful in First

• Literacy Teacher October 18, 2011 at 12:16 am

I have used this book in the past with 4th graders! Great Ideas! Thanks for sharing!

• Mrs. Miner October 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Super! We are starting a unit on friendship next week!
    Krissy
    Mrs.Miner’s Monkey Business

• Jennifer October 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm

WAY cute! I don't know this book- putting it on my BN wish list!

Rowdy in First Grade

• Lisa October 27, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Tell me more about the book of the month activity…I'm a literacy coach and would love to do that in my school!

• Jennifer October 28, 2011 at 5:53 am

Love it! I shared it at Simply Learning Centers.

• Rorey Risdon November 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm

This is such a great idea. I am going to suggest it to my principle and hopefully we can implement something like this in our school soon. Thanks for sharing.

• Marybelle May 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm

LOVE IT! We just read this book and I love your take on it! I too teach ELLs and am always looking for ways the students can share their experiences. Your ELL prompt was PERFECT.
    Thank you so much for sharing!

You are an inspiration!

• Cindy Baker April 7, 2013 at 4:14 am

This is great. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram