Reading, Writing, & Math letters {printable}

September 4, 2011

Reading, Writing, & Math letters {printable}

September 4, 2011

This is one of those projects I’ve been meaning to do all summer, but time has gotten away from me! We just had our first day of school on Friday (it felt weird to go back for one day only!)…

And now I am scrambling to get about 5,497 things done over this long weekend!

Anyhow, I think I may have mentioned that I have this huge, long chalkboard that runs the entire length of one wall in my room. I’ve covered it with black fabric this year (pictures are coming soon!) and I’m working to make it really interactive–with a calendar math, daily five rotations, workshop charts, etc.

I want the whole board to look like one cohesive wall, but defined into three sections…so I made these letters to title each section of the board.
I chose a few of my favorite fonts (Kevin and Amanda, of course!)…
Then, I enlarged the letters in Fireworks (my favorite designing software) and made them have an outline to cut on. This could be done with Word Art as well.

After that, I just printed them on bright paper to coordinate with our classroom and cut them out.

Do you know what the best part was? I didn’t even have to cut them out perfectly…the fonts don’t have really straight edges so they look great even if not cut exactly on the line!

I am sharing the three files for the letters below (they are going to look a little strange and out of order, because I was trying to arrange them in a way they would fit without using up too much paper).

Each letter is a separate image and all files are Word docs…so you can resize the letters if need be. I hope it’s something you could use in your class!

Reader’s Workshop Letters
Writer’s Workshop Letters
Math Workshop Letters

And…completely unrelated…today is my birthday (mixed feelings on this one!) and this was the best present a girl could get! Not just because the honor and the fact that the button is so cute, but because of the extremely thoughtful comments that came with it–THANK YOU!! I am so happy to be a part of this wonderful community and I cannot say that enough!

I have a list of 256 blogs I follow and I try to be diligent about updating my blog roll, because I have learned so much from so very many teachers! Please check it out if you have a moment 🙂

• Hadar September 4, 2011 at 11:09 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTEN!!! May all your dreams come true 🙂

Hadar
    Miss Kindergarten

• Mrs. Patton September 4, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a WONDERFUL school year!

• Tamara L. Chilver September 5, 2011 at 12:01 am

Happy Birthday!!!

• Kathy September 5, 2011 at 12:11 am

Happy Birthday Kristen!! I hope you enjoyed your day! You are definitely one of my TOP TEN!

Kathy
    First Grade a la Carte

• Tara September 5, 2011 at 12:40 am

Happy birthday, happy birthday!!!!

4th Grade Frolics

• Kimberly September 5, 2011 at 12:50 am

Happy Birthday, Kristen! Hope your day was happy!
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

• Rachelle September 5, 2011 at 2:10 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF MY BEST BLOGGING BUDDIES!!!!
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Anonymous September 5, 2011 at 2:17 am

Happy Happy Birthday to a fellow Labor Day Weekend blogger!

Primary Connections

• Crayons and Curls September 5, 2011 at 2:30 am

Happy Birthday!!! 🙂
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

• Kristen September 5, 2011 at 3:09 am

Thanks ladies! It has been a very happy birthday!

• Amanda K. September 5, 2011 at 3:16 am

Happy Birthday Kristen! Love the workshop letters!

Amanda
    Third Grade Meanderings

• Down Under Teacher September 5, 2011 at 7:05 am

Happy birthday Kristen! Hope you had a lovely day!

Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

• Ginger Snaps September 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I chose you as one of my Top 10 Teaching Blogs, even though you have already been nominated! I cheated a little…

Here is the post: http://gingersnapstreatsforteachers.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-10-blogs.html

Link for the award: http://bit.ly/rtHPbL

I just heart everything you post. I have learned so much about the technological side of blogging and have so much inspiration from your ideas! Thanks for sharing everything!!

Ginger

• Laurie September 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm

You helped me before with this and I'm seeing if you can again!! You showed me how to embed a document to my blog so it could be viewed instead of clicking on a link. Now I have the newer version of google docs and I don't see the option to use the old. I'll continue to mess around with it but any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Laurie

• Abby September 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I love this! I think my RW and WW boards will be getting a revamp ASAP! 🙂

I love this!

BTW – You made my Top Ten!

<3 Third Grade Bookworm

• MeiLing258 September 5, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Love your blog! I chose you as one of my Top 10, but now I see you already got the award! Go to my post to see your nomination!

• Laura Starnes September 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Hey Kristen,

Just stopping by to let you know, you are one of my Top 10 blogs! =)
    You can check out my post at Kinder Kraziness

Laura

• Mrs. White September 7, 2011 at 2:23 am

Hi Kristen! I have a somewhat very small favor to ask. . . . However, I can't figure out how to email you. . . I need some info on your fantabulous method of running record. I can't find the link to your post. Thanks in advance….
    my email is mrswhitesclassrocks@gmail.com

• Ms.M September 7, 2011 at 5:33 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you had a good one.

I chose you as one of my Top 10 Teaching Blogs. I cheated a bit but hey how could I resist? Go to the link below to read more.

Here is the post.

Go here to read more.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Cris September 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Hi! I love your blog! 😀
    And I also have a question: what font do you use to make your sheets? I'm Spanish and I love it, but we don't use it and I don't know where I can download it.
    Thanks a million 🙂

• Kristen September 25, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Hi Cris, thank you!! The fonts are from Kevin and Amanda fonts: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/fonts/ 🙂

• Cris September 25, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Thanks a million 🙂

• Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledocs #googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • One of our favorite seating areas...also known as the place I like to eat lunch every day when my students are in the cafeteria 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The chairs and table were donated to our class. Both are by Flash Furniture on Amazon.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This is the first year I’ve had a cafe height table and we love it!! Do you have a cafe table in class?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#flexibleseating #classroomdecor #iteachfourth #iteach456 #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram