Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop Routines

September 11, 2011

Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop Routines

September 11, 2011

We launched our Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops this week and it has been going very well! Our district is following the First 30 Days from America’s Choice right now (anyone else doing this?) and I’m also using strategies from the Daily 5 for Reading, as I have in the past.

Since we are an ELL magnet classroom, I must make many adaptations to the curriculum to ensure my students’ understanding, while trying to follow it as closely as possible. This hasn’t been too bad so far, as the routine-building portion is ideal for my newcomer students, as with many other students in the mainstream classes.
Any new information we learn in the mini-lessons or about the routine of the workshops themselves is written on chart paper. My writing is ok, I guess, but I cannot make really eye-catching charts (like Mrs. Carroll’s at The First Grade Parade–I could just look at her charts all day!).

But I do love making printables! So I have converted some of the more important and often-used charts to documents with graphics.

By the way, I LOVE the black fabric on my bulletin boards this year!!! No more framing work with paper, it just pops so nicely on the board. Thanks again to Mrs. Mac for her recommendations for the fabric 🙂

So, the boring, handwritten charts are semi-temporary as we continue to add ideas to them during the week.

If the chart is something I would like to keep on display longer, I type them up and get them all graphicy!

For the workshop routines themselves, I wanted to make sure they stood out from the rest. So I used these gorgeous frames from Pixel Papers!

I am a little frame-obsessed lately.

They are printed on cardstock and are really vibrant (not so great in the photo, they look much better in person!).

These are displayed in the center of each workshop board and the other charts are placed on the sides (I promise I will have more pictures of the whole room soon…I haven’t had a chance to take them yet and I have been dying to share them on here!).

I know there are many different versions of workshops out there, but wanted to share these routine posters in case yours are similar.

Here are some previews of the headers…

And the routines themselves…

Do your Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops have a similar structure?

Workshop Routines

• Lori Faas September 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I received a Versitile Blogger Award and wanted to pass it on to you. I have worked with ELLs in my classroom for the past 5 years and I LOVE your blog! Thanks for being so inspiring to me. Head over to my blog!

Lori

• sydney September 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Although my coworkers tell me they love the charts I make because they love my handwriting, I absolutely adore ALL of your printables. THANKS for ALL you do!. This is great!
    Lessons Learned

• Stacey September 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

We are just becoming an America's Choice school. We will also be implementing the Reader's and Writer's Workshop. I am also trying to implement the Daily 5 Strategies. I am excited that someone else is going through the same thing that I am. We can help each other out. Thanks for your posters and routines.

• Kimberly September 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Hi Kristen,
    Thank you for sharing workshop routine signs! I'm gonna use them tomorrow. 🙂
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

• Alyssa September 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

it would be nice if you added in partner time on your routine charts since it's such an important part of both workshops! for my writers workshop, i always do a chart that looks like this:
    how does writing workshop go?
    1. think
    2. plan
    3. write
    4. reread
    5. revise (add on)
    6. edit (fix)
    7. start a new book

i love doing this because when kids come up to me in the middle of the workshop, i can just point to the chart and say something like, "is talk to miss ______ part of writer's workshop?" sounds a little harsh, but otherwise i could never get conferring and strategy groups done! works like a charm 🙂 the kids are so much more independent when they know how things go!

• Mrs. B September 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm

This year, I am heavily doing writer's and reader's workshop in my 5th grade class. The whole experience is new for me, but I am really excited about it. I LOVE your signs, and the color combinations of the blue against the black. Can't wait to see more pictures – Looks Great!

• Erica Y. September 12, 2011 at 12:02 am

Post more pics of the room! I love what i see so far!

• Keys4Education September 12, 2011 at 1:42 am

I love, love, love your pics. Your blog is awesome! Thank you for sharing! :o)

Jennifer

• Ms. Morgart September 12, 2011 at 1:49 am

These are wonderful! What font did you use? Thank you so much for sharing!
    Curls and a Smile

• Deedee Wills September 12, 2011 at 2:26 am

I love this! Even my wee-little kindergartners follow the same structure for Readers and Writers Workshop! Thank you!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

• Ms.M September 12, 2011 at 5:04 am

These are so nice. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Mrs. Mac September 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I'm happy the black fabric worked out, Kristen! 🙂 Love your anchor charts! Lisa
    First Class with Mrs. Mac

• Sarah September 16, 2011 at 12:51 am

These are so fabulous! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Victoria July 5, 2012 at 4:21 am

I am going to start working with writer's workshop this year and am trolling all the blogs and websites the internet has to offer. Loved your simple routine signs! They would so work with my kinders (especially with the cute pics :). Thanks for the idea!

• Florence Fung February 20, 2013 at 7:19 am

I love your creativity and your pictures give the students so much fun in writing, thank you so much x 100!

• So I managed to avoid shoving things into random places...mostly 😂 #classroomorganization #kindof #randompaperplates #andnapkins #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • All packed up and ready for summer!! 😅 Best wishes to my friends still wrapping up their school years! #summertime #canbarelymove #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th
    • Two of my dear friends and colleagues retired today. I worked on teams with both over the years (one in 4th and one in 5th) and they’ve both been my next door (classroom door) neighbors. They’ve taught a combined total of 74 years!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We had an outdoor luncheon on our school patio to celebrate their years of dedication to our school. The theme was beachy/nautical and it was so fun to set up...I found most of the decor at the Dollar Tree! We had tons of candles, shells, flowers, and a fishnet with class photos from over the years. (Don’t mind the masking tape on the table in that last photo, it was a bit windy 😂). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was a happy and sad kind of day 💕 #retiringfriends #cantimagineschoolwithoutthem #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • A little progress with packing up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I am really trying to get rid of anything we haven’t used in years and pack up everything in its place. We’ll see if I shove things randomly away when I run out of time next week 😂!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you packing up next week?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you ever feel like you make MORE of a mess as you clean out your classroom?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Today was our students’ last day and I stayed for a bit to get things cleaned out and packed but I got so overwhelmed I finally just left. It can wait, right?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroomorganization #notpicturedhere #ineed50daystocleanmyroom #wegetone #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Anyone still in school? Our students’ last day is tomorrow and I’m feeling all the emotions right now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this sweet framed gift from one of my students today 😍😭 Getting myself ready for tomorrow’s whirlwind of emotions!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀If you are wrapping up school soon, best wishes! And if you are already on break, happy summer!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#almostsummerbreak #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram