Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop Routines

September 11, 2011

Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop Routines

September 11, 2011

We launched our Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops this week and it has been going very well! Our district is following the First 30 Days from America’s Choice right now (anyone else doing this?) and I’m also using strategies from the Daily 5 for Reading, as I have in the past.

Since we are an ELL magnet classroom, I must make many adaptations to the curriculum to ensure my students’ understanding, while trying to follow it as closely as possible. This hasn’t been too bad so far, as the routine-building portion is ideal for my newcomer students, as with many other students in the mainstream classes.
Any new information we learn in the mini-lessons or about the routine of the workshops themselves is written on chart paper. My writing is ok, I guess, but I cannot make really eye-catching charts (like Mrs. Carroll’s at The First Grade Parade–I could just look at her charts all day!).

But I do love making printables! So I have converted some of the more important and often-used charts to documents with graphics.

By the way, I LOVE the black fabric on my bulletin boards this year!!! No more framing work with paper, it just pops so nicely on the board. Thanks again to Mrs. Mac for her recommendations for the fabric 🙂

So, the boring, handwritten charts are semi-temporary as we continue to add ideas to them during the week.

If the chart is something I would like to keep on display longer, I type them up and get them all graphicy!

For the workshop routines themselves, I wanted to make sure they stood out from the rest. So I used these gorgeous frames from Pixel Papers!

I am a little frame-obsessed lately.

They are printed on cardstock and are really vibrant (not so great in the photo, they look much better in person!).

These are displayed in the center of each workshop board and the other charts are placed on the sides (I promise I will have more pictures of the whole room soon…I haven’t had a chance to take them yet and I have been dying to share them on here!).

I know there are many different versions of workshops out there, but wanted to share these routine posters in case yours are similar.

Here are some previews of the headers…

And the routines themselves…

Do your Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops have a similar structure?

Workshop Routines

• Lori Faas September 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I received a Versitile Blogger Award and wanted to pass it on to you. I have worked with ELLs in my classroom for the past 5 years and I LOVE your blog! Thanks for being so inspiring to me. Head over to my blog!

Lori

• sydney September 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Although my coworkers tell me they love the charts I make because they love my handwriting, I absolutely adore ALL of your printables. THANKS for ALL you do!. This is great!
    Lessons Learned

• Stacey September 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

We are just becoming an America's Choice school. We will also be implementing the Reader's and Writer's Workshop. I am also trying to implement the Daily 5 Strategies. I am excited that someone else is going through the same thing that I am. We can help each other out. Thanks for your posters and routines.

• Kimberly September 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Hi Kristen,
    Thank you for sharing workshop routine signs! I'm gonna use them tomorrow. 🙂
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

• Alyssa September 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

it would be nice if you added in partner time on your routine charts since it's such an important part of both workshops! for my writers workshop, i always do a chart that looks like this:
    how does writing workshop go?
    1. think
    2. plan
    3. write
    4. reread
    5. revise (add on)
    6. edit (fix)
    7. start a new book

i love doing this because when kids come up to me in the middle of the workshop, i can just point to the chart and say something like, "is talk to miss ______ part of writer's workshop?" sounds a little harsh, but otherwise i could never get conferring and strategy groups done! works like a charm 🙂 the kids are so much more independent when they know how things go!

• Mrs. B September 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm

This year, I am heavily doing writer's and reader's workshop in my 5th grade class. The whole experience is new for me, but I am really excited about it. I LOVE your signs, and the color combinations of the blue against the black. Can't wait to see more pictures – Looks Great!

• Erica Y. September 12, 2011 at 12:02 am

Post more pics of the room! I love what i see so far!

• Keys4Education September 12, 2011 at 1:42 am

I love, love, love your pics. Your blog is awesome! Thank you for sharing! :o)

Jennifer

• Ms. Morgart September 12, 2011 at 1:49 am

These are wonderful! What font did you use? Thank you so much for sharing!
    Curls and a Smile

• Deedee Wills September 12, 2011 at 2:26 am

I love this! Even my wee-little kindergartners follow the same structure for Readers and Writers Workshop! Thank you!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

• Ms.M September 12, 2011 at 5:04 am

These are so nice. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Mrs. Mac September 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I'm happy the black fabric worked out, Kristen! 🙂 Love your anchor charts! Lisa
    First Class with Mrs. Mac

• Sarah September 16, 2011 at 12:51 am

These are so fabulous! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Victoria July 5, 2012 at 4:21 am

I am going to start working with writer's workshop this year and am trolling all the blogs and websites the internet has to offer. Loved your simple routine signs! They would so work with my kinders (especially with the cute pics :). Thanks for the idea!

• Florence Fung February 20, 2013 at 7:19 am

I love your creativity and your pictures give the students so much fun in writing, thank you so much x 100!

• Did you know that there are HUNDREDS of fonts to choose from in google drive?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I mean, there are times I really wish I could just upload one of my favorite fonts from my laptop. But then I visit the Google Fonts website.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it has 915 fonts to choose from!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀AND...you can add any of them to your google docs and slides!The Google Fonts site has all these great categories to help refine your search. You can even type right into the site to try out the different fonts (you can see an example in this first pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once you find a font (or several!) you like, head into google docs. Click on the current font in your doc, then select “More fonts...” Type in the name of the fonts you’ve found...and then click on the font name when it pops up to add it to your font list.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now your new favorite fonts are right there in your google drive for future designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀What are your favorite google fonts? Mine are Oswald and Century Gothic!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram