Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop Routines

September 11, 2011

Reader’s & Writer’s Workshop Routines

September 11, 2011

We launched our Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops this week and it has been going very well! Our district is following the First 30 Days from America’s Choice right now (anyone else doing this?) and I’m also using strategies from the Daily 5 for Reading, as I have in the past.

Since we are an ELL magnet classroom, I must make many adaptations to the curriculum to ensure my students’ understanding, while trying to follow it as closely as possible. This hasn’t been too bad so far, as the routine-building portion is ideal for my newcomer students, as with many other students in the mainstream classes.
Any new information we learn in the mini-lessons or about the routine of the workshops themselves is written on chart paper. My writing is ok, I guess, but I cannot make really eye-catching charts (like Mrs. Carroll’s at The First Grade Parade–I could just look at her charts all day!).

But I do love making printables! So I have converted some of the more important and often-used charts to documents with graphics.

By the way, I LOVE the black fabric on my bulletin boards this year!!! No more framing work with paper, it just pops so nicely on the board. Thanks again to Mrs. Mac for her recommendations for the fabric 🙂

So, the boring, handwritten charts are semi-temporary as we continue to add ideas to them during the week.

If the chart is something I would like to keep on display longer, I type them up and get them all graphicy!

For the workshop routines themselves, I wanted to make sure they stood out from the rest. So I used these gorgeous frames from Pixel Papers!

I am a little frame-obsessed lately.

They are printed on cardstock and are really vibrant (not so great in the photo, they look much better in person!).

These are displayed in the center of each workshop board and the other charts are placed on the sides (I promise I will have more pictures of the whole room soon…I haven’t had a chance to take them yet and I have been dying to share them on here!).

I know there are many different versions of workshops out there, but wanted to share these routine posters in case yours are similar.

Here are some previews of the headers…

And the routines themselves…

Do your Reader’s and Writer’s Workshops have a similar structure?

Workshop Routines

• Lori Faas September 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I received a Versitile Blogger Award and wanted to pass it on to you. I have worked with ELLs in my classroom for the past 5 years and I LOVE your blog! Thanks for being so inspiring to me. Head over to my blog!

Lori

• sydney September 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Although my coworkers tell me they love the charts I make because they love my handwriting, I absolutely adore ALL of your printables. THANKS for ALL you do!. This is great!
    Lessons Learned

• Stacey September 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

We are just becoming an America's Choice school. We will also be implementing the Reader's and Writer's Workshop. I am also trying to implement the Daily 5 Strategies. I am excited that someone else is going through the same thing that I am. We can help each other out. Thanks for your posters and routines.

• Kimberly September 11, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Hi Kristen,
    Thank you for sharing workshop routine signs! I'm gonna use them tomorrow. 🙂
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

• Alyssa September 11, 2011 at 11:30 pm

it would be nice if you added in partner time on your routine charts since it's such an important part of both workshops! for my writers workshop, i always do a chart that looks like this:
    how does writing workshop go?
    1. think
    2. plan
    3. write
    4. reread
    5. revise (add on)
    6. edit (fix)
    7. start a new book

i love doing this because when kids come up to me in the middle of the workshop, i can just point to the chart and say something like, "is talk to miss ______ part of writer's workshop?" sounds a little harsh, but otherwise i could never get conferring and strategy groups done! works like a charm 🙂 the kids are so much more independent when they know how things go!

• Mrs. B September 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm

This year, I am heavily doing writer's and reader's workshop in my 5th grade class. The whole experience is new for me, but I am really excited about it. I LOVE your signs, and the color combinations of the blue against the black. Can't wait to see more pictures – Looks Great!

• Erica Y. September 12, 2011 at 12:02 am

Post more pics of the room! I love what i see so far!

• Keys4Education September 12, 2011 at 1:42 am

I love, love, love your pics. Your blog is awesome! Thank you for sharing! :o)

Jennifer

• Ms. Morgart September 12, 2011 at 1:49 am

These are wonderful! What font did you use? Thank you so much for sharing!
    Curls and a Smile

• Deedee Wills September 12, 2011 at 2:26 am

I love this! Even my wee-little kindergartners follow the same structure for Readers and Writers Workshop! Thank you!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

• Ms.M September 12, 2011 at 5:04 am

These are so nice. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

• Mrs. Mac September 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I'm happy the black fabric worked out, Kristen! 🙂 Love your anchor charts! Lisa
    First Class with Mrs. Mac

• Sarah September 16, 2011 at 12:51 am

These are so fabulous! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Victoria July 5, 2012 at 4:21 am

I am going to start working with writer's workshop this year and am trolling all the blogs and websites the internet has to offer. Loved your simple routine signs! They would so work with my kinders (especially with the cute pics :). Thanks for the idea!

• Florence Fung February 20, 2013 at 7:19 am

I love your creativity and your pictures give the students so much fun in writing, thank you so much x 100!

• Ok, this is nothing major but it has really sped up my planning time in @planbookcom!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Did you know you can navigate from lesson to lesson with arrows on the right and left? It is SO much faster than double-clicking in and out of lesson boxes!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This is probably one of those things everyone knows except me...but I wanted to share just in case!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#lessonplans #planbookcom #classroommanagement #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school, three books read for #classroombookaday!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This has already become a highlight of our day and I love this bonding time with my new sweet fourth graders ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Next week, we will start discussing the themes and character traits we encounter during our daily reads, thanks to the brilliant @headoverheelsforteaching‘s resources!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Have you started #classroombookaday again this year? If you are new to the concept you must check out @heisereads classroombookaday.com who developed this...she has tons of book recs and ideas!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroombookaday #picturebooks #readersgonnaread #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Three days of school and I STILL have a couple of unfinished areas. This whiteboard isn’t hung on the wall, my drawers are only partially labeled, and I have piles of things on the floor to put away BUT...
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The first days of school have been absolutely awesome with my new students!!!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I really think it’s SO hard for a type A teacher to learn to let things go...to take more time in the summer away from the classroom. I have been working at it for a few years now and I think I’m finally making some progress.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My room isn’t completely ready for the new year but I definitely am ❤️
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#movingawayfromtypea #teacherselfcare #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Year 18, day two!! It was too busy to post a first day of school picture yesterday 😅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Who else started this week?? I hope it’s been great!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#backtoschool #year18 #wheredoesthetimego #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Sharing a quick Google Sheets tip!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you are using the checkbox feature and working with a large list, there is an easy way to uncheck all your boxes AT ONCE when you are done with your list!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Click at the top of the column where your check boxes are located (swipe to see). This will select the whole column.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Then click your space bar...this will automatically uncheck all of your boxes at once! You can also check off large groups of checkboxes using this same tip.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I used this feature while printing off the covers for our read alouds today...it saved me a ton of time!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you’d like to see more about this digital read aloud tracker, please click the link in my profile or type bit.ly/DigitalReadAloudTracker ✅
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#googledrive #googlesheets #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many days do you get for classroom setup?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have our one day coming up on Tuesday...and I have a zillion things to finish. Most parts are almost done, but there are stacks of things on the floor everywhere (swipe to see) 😬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
#classroomorganization #kindof #andstacksofsupplieseverywhere #teachertired #iteachfourth #iteach4th #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram