Teamwork Bingo

August 14, 2011

Teamwork Bingo

August 14, 2011
Hi Fellow Ladybug Fans!
I am so excited to have been asked to guest blog for Kristen. I’m Jodi and I run The Clutter-Free Classroom (a blog focused on classroom organization and management). Today I am going to share one of my favorite classroom tools and some free printables for your classroom.
I must start by saying this is not my original idea. I actually first heard of this while conducting an interview. The job candidate was fresh out of student teaching and shared some things that her cooperating teacher had used. I loved the idea so much that I tried it in my classroom and it is now one of my favorite ways to reinforce positive behavior.
It’s called Teamwork Bingo.
And as the name implies, it encourages the students to work together.

Here’s how it works. We display a hundred chart and preselect a “prize.” An annual favorite is a night off from homework, but we’ve also used extra recess time, extra computer lab, and a movie as our goals. We write the prize we are working towards directly on the chart.
When the class works as a team (cleaning the classroom, quickly settling in for a lesson, quietly getting snacks from lockers, etc) or when the class receives a compliment from another adult in the building, they get to “draw a number.”
I use a Crystal Lite container (and have included a label for such in the free printable set) to hold the number cards, but you can use any type of container that you can’t see through. Upon drawing a number, we color that square in on our hundred chart.
The object is to get 10 consecutive squares either vertically, horizontally, or diagonally.
The kiddos take great pride in collaborating to earn a number and this system really helps to build our community. There are no negative consequences attached to it. Once they earn a number it stays colored on the chart.
Some Tips & Ideas:
  • Display the hundred chart on a clipboard with a highlighter attached. This makes it easier for the students to color the squares in.
  • Attach a plastic zip-top baggy to the back of the clipboard with packing tape for the discarded numbers.
  • I keep a class list under the chart on my clipboard. When the class earns a number the next person on the list gets to draw the card and shade the box. He/She then highlights his/her name on the list so we know who is next.
  • Inform coworkers about your system to encourage them to give the class as a whole compliments.
  • If you have young children of your own, this is a great tool to use at home. I have a 6 year old son and while we have never really had to institute any type of “behavior plan” we wanted to acknowledge the positive choices he makes. I printed a partially filled in chart for him and we tell him to pick a number when we notice he has gone above and beyond what is expected of him. Because the chart is partially filled in we are able to talk a lot about the patterns on the chart. It’s been so exciting to experience those “light bulb moments” when he’s noticed that “all the numbers in this row have a 5 in the tens place.”
To print out your free copy of my Teamwork Bingo kit either:
  • Click here to go directly to the Teamwork Bingo Page or
  • Click here to go to a listing of all my free printables and snag a few more while you are at it.
It’s been a pleasure stopping by. I hope you are all either enjoying your fleeting days of summer vacation or loving every second of getting to know your new little friends. 🙂 Take Care, Jodi

Clutter-Free Classroom

• Mrs.Voss August 14, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Thank you Jodi!! I love both of these web sites. I love this idea! I teach kindergarten and though they may need more help to complete the chart, following the directions, one thing I know they will understand is working toward a reward!

Amber

• Miss Reeve August 14, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I love it! What a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing 🙂

• Christina-tina-tina August 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm

LOVE this! Thank you so much!

• Rachelle August 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm

What a GREAT idea!!!!!!!!
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

• Tina August 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Hi Jodi. This is fabulous! I think it could even be adapted to a much smaller chart for subs to use:) I just love that it is a cooperative classroom management tool … how awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.
    Tina
    Good Morning Mrs Rubie

• Cyndy August 14, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Cyndy
    Counting with Coffee

• Heather August 15, 2011 at 1:14 am

Thanks, Jodi! I do this on a large pocket hundreds chart, but I love the clipboard idea, so I just downloaded your little printable. Enjoy the rest of your summer! It's back to school for me tomorrow! : )

• Mr. Pateach August 15, 2011 at 3:32 am

I was looking for a new interesting yet simple class-wide incentive. Looks like I found it! I will admit that I am adapting it for my 5th graders.

I will probably use the multiplication chart instead of 100 chart. I will then use multiplication fact cards. S will pick a card and highlight the product.

Oh…another adaptation just popped in my head while typing. Why not have a blank chart. When S picks a number they could write the number in its appropriate box.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Liam August 15, 2011 at 3:43 am

This is brilliant! I teach English to a rather difficult class who are out to break each other down more than lift each other up. This might be our ticket to achieving some success! I will talk to their Form Teacher and see what they think. THANKS!!!
    ✪ Liam ✪
    Twist of Liam

• Liam August 15, 2011 at 3:46 am

And I think the adaptations Mr Pateach has suggested are wicked, too! I can't decide!

✪ Liam ✪
    Twist of Liam

• Blue & White Wear August 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Thanks so much! This is perfect – as I have been looking for a team building activity. My 3rd graders can write the # on the blank chart. THANKS!!

• Bobbi September 4, 2011 at 12:49 am

Hello. I love this idea but I cannot seem to find the link to the Team Bingo. I am starting grade three and am a new teacher and would love to give this a try. Thanks!

• Bobbi September 4, 2011 at 12:59 am

Found it!! This will be a great team building activity for my students. Thanks so much! By the way, I absolutely love your blog – lots of great ideas!

• Kristen September 5, 2011 at 12:25 am

Thanks Bobbi, this one is all Jodi from Clutterfree Classroom–she is incredible!! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• Daniel Anthony January 14, 2013 at 11:56 am

The teamwork has bee described her. Read to know more
    Team building ideas

• Do you like to use a certain color scheme in your google docs?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I always tend to use the same shades in my visuals for class...so I set up a file of my go-to colors. It’s very easy to do...and will save you lots of time in future google drive designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps, in case you’d like to capture your favorite hues for google!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open up a new slides file. Insert a table, and choose your favorite colors for each cell (to create a set of color swatches).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Name your file (I used “color swatches”) so you can find it quickly in the future.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Select your table and copy it.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now, open up a new slides file or google doc. Click paste and your table will appear.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Delete your table. Even though the color swatches are gone, they are now stored in your custom colors selector. When you go to change your font color (or the cells and borders of a table) you will see all of your favorite colors under “custom” (swipe to see this in the last pic).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that’s it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I hope some of you will be able to use this idea! It’s saved me lots of time in designing in my drive.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Ok, I learned something else new in google docs that I LOVE...even more than default margins!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀You can set a default font!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀So I tend to go with Century Gothic for everything in class...usually paired with a bold font for headings (Oswald is my favorite!). But every time I start a new doc, I have to take the time to make these font changes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Well, it turns out you can set a default font (and color) of your choice in two simple steps! It can only be one font...but at least it will save some time!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Here are the steps:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀First, open a new doc and type a word with the font/color combo you would like as your default font. Highlight the text you just typed.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then, go to Format > Paragraph Styles > Normal Text > Update 'Normal text' to match.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Then go back to the Format menu and choose Paragraph Styles > Options > Save as my default styles. (Swipe to see pics of all these steps if you prefer a visual!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it! Now when you open a new google doc, you will see your favorite font, all ready for you to start designing!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • Did you know that you can set default margins in Google Docs? I never realized until the other day!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It drives me CRAZY when I open up a new doc and there's all that extra space at the top! I'm constantly reconfiguring the margins when I make a new doc. But it turns out you can set your favorite margin settings (because everyone has favorite margin settings, right?) and set it as a default.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And it’s very easy to do!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Go to File, then Page Setup. Enter the margins you would like, then click the "Set as Default" button.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And that's it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Your next docs will open with this new setting from now on! Such a time-saver!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀(Am I the only one who didn't know this?) 😂⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#googledrive #technologyintheclassroom #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • "This is so fun!" I got to hear some of my favorite words over and over during math today. And it was all thanks to  @adventuresofmssmith_ and @teachinginroom6!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀These clever ladies shared an awesome idea for solving some mundane math problems (multi-digit multiplication and long division review for us today) while building index card towers!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀And the setup was so easy.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I made 30 review problems and numbered the cards. Then I highlighted the cards with a quick swipe to color code them (thanks to @teachinginroom6 for the color-coding idea!). The simpler problems were pink and could earn one index card when solved correctly. The more complex problems were yellow and could earn two index cards...and the most difficult problems were green and worth three index cards.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My students worked in small groups and showed me their cards as they solved them. Some showed a couple of cards at a time, others solved everything first before "cashing in" (as they called it 😂).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They were completely engaged and working as teams for the whole math block...it was great! And they are already asking when we can do this again.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#math #iteachmath #multiplication #division #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • How many field trips does your class go on each year?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀We go on four (five some years 😬) and field trip season is just starting up now!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I like to keep a checklist of our different trips to keep track of forms, money, and chaperones. I color-code each trip with a different flair pen if the trips are back-to-back (we are visiting our state capital this week and heading to the ymca for water safety next week!).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This checklist is from my Instant Checklists resource...it has a hundred lists, ready to go, just enter your students’ names once. Please click the link in my profile if you’d like to see more! (http://bit.ly/instantchecklists)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Are you going on a field trip soon?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#classroommanagement #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #tpt #teacherspayteachers #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram
    • I have lost my tv remote about 45,000 times this year. I think it’s due to my compulsive paper stacking tendencies.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀But I found a solution!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I got this awesome desktop organizer to hold my remote (and flair pens, phone, stickies, nurse notes...all of the important things!) I found it on Amazon...it’s a STORi desktop organizer and I ❤️ it!!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀#tryingtostayorganized #classroomorganization #iteachfourth #iteach4th #iteach456 #teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinstagram